Thai Woman Gets Death Sentence For Drug Trafficking In Malaysia

webfact

Thai woman gets death sentence for drug trafficking in Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur -- Malaysia's High Court has sentenced a Thai woman to death by hanging after she was caught with 98 capsules of cocaine in her stomach, a news report said Friday.

Phrueksa Taemchim, 26, was detained by antinarcotics police at a bus stop in July last year, shortly after her arrival on a flight from Buenos Aires.

During an Xray examination at the hospital, police discovered the mother of one had swallowed the drug capsules in an effort to smuggle them back to Thailand, the Star newspaper reported.

The court handed down the death sentence on Thursday.

Despite Malaysia's tough drug laws, an increasing number of foreign drug smugglers have been detained in recent years.

In the first nine months of 2010, 382 foreigners were arrested for suspected drug trafficking, a 70percent increase over the same period last year, government records showed.

Authorities say smuggling is rampant as the country is used as a transit point to channel the drugs to neighbouring Southeast Asian nations

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-19

Kill the mule, ignore the source.

The world proving once again it is winning the war on drugs.

How do you know they are ignoring the source......I'm sure whatever information the Malaysian police extracted from the mule has been passed to the Argentine police, it's up to them to investigate the source..as i'm sure they have ...

The war on drugs is unwinnable as i'm sure those fighting that war know..... there will always be a never ending supply of people desperate enough, stupid enough or greedy enough to transport or sell the product, the death penalty won't deter them, but it will deter many many other chancers who otherwise might think of giving it a go,,..

How do you know they are ignoring the source......I'm sure whatever information the Malaysian police extracted from the mule has been passed to the Argentine police, it's up to them to investigate the source..as i'm sure they have ...

The war on drugs is unwinnable as i'm sure those fighting that war know..... there will always be a never ending supply of people desperate enough, stupid enough or greedy enough to transport or sell the product, the death penalty won't deter them, but it will deter many many other chancers who otherwise might think of giving it a go,,..

I doubt she would of provided much of useful information. if she did have it(the really useful information) she would not be sentenced to be hung.

I must say though, in the current days hanging is little barbaric in my opinion.

There is 1 sure way to deal with drug problem, but clearly either there is too much money in it or some moral ethics behind it, and i know i am dreaming but one way to win the war is to legalize it all and for drugs to be produced in controlled environment ie factory's

Irrespective if its illegal, people still use it worldwide, so by having it properly manufactured, it may give better results in controlling it, less deaths and rather then spending the money on fighting it, could spend it on education about drugs.

Also it will reduce income for many war lords and terrorists.

I am aware it sounds crazy, but since fighting it has not worked, may be its time to think of other ways.:jap:

Bad mistake flying in to Malaysia instead of Thailand. At least in Thailand she'd live.

Yeah, she could pay here way out here if she had the money, especially since gestapo thaksin is not here to swing the sword.

What a terrible waste of a life :(

cant the sentence be commuted to a jail term? and do they have a similar thing to the thai royal pardon thing so she may come out in a few years?

feel sorry for the girl's kid

absolutely. I think they do have Kings pardon, but i doubt Thai Government will even try to seek it just for "nobody"

Also i do not recall seeing any drug traffickers receiving "royal pardon"

She twitched, she looked down, she murmured, she stuttered. She had a stamp in passport from Buenos Aries.

Doesn’t sound so sophisticated, but she balked, they felt something, they nabbed her. Innocent, but un-innocent pawn. Not trained well. Little money and almost there. But did not make it.

Poor girl! I feel sorry.

Little money is so tmepoting, unless she was pushed black sytle, Mafia, and her everything if she did not had all to lose.this goes to firnds, famaly etc... What would you do being illiterate of all senses.

uncletom

How sad. What a waste.

Yet another victim of the "war on drugs".

Yes kuffki, you are of course right in your assessment, both in the futility of prohibition, and also in the fact that there are far too many vested interests in the legions of drug enforcement agencies and their equipment / services suppliers.

Things aren't about to change anytime soon, even though it's blindingly obvious that prohibition doesn't work. Never has, never will.

I feel bad for the woman... Usually it's someone very desperate, gullible or naive to resort to smuggling.

It seems a lot of times the group organizing it tricks someone into the attempt and use intimidation and coercion to make the person go thru with it...

some definitely make it thru but the getting caught would have to feel like falling down a bottomless pit to a person already feeling powerless.

That is quite a ordeal....

WHen I was in South America coca leaves/tea are basically legal and cocaine powder is quasi illegal are but very common and minor issue... Society hasn't imploded there... In fact one needs the coca tea to cope with the altitude of Peru and Bolivia and the headaches.

Seems bizarre to make cocaine a death penalty. Lighten up Islamic hardliners.

I feel bad for the woman... Usually it's someone very desperate, gullible or naive to resort to smuggling.

It seems a lot of times the group organizing it tricks someone into the attempt and use intimidation and coercion to make the person go thru with it...

some definitely make it thru but the getting caught would have to feel like falling down a bottomless pit to a person already feeling powerless.

That is quite a ordeal....

WHen I was in South America coca leaves/tea are basically legal and cocaine powder is quasi illegal are but very common and minor issue... Society hasn't imploded there... In fact one needs the coca tea to cope with the altitude of Peru and Bolivia and the headaches.

Seems bizarre to make cocaine a death penalty. Lighten up Islamic hardliners.

Had a friend who got bamboozled in San Paulo last year and he is male. Good friend, everyone likes him in Thailand ( actually I would venture to say all of you would love this chap), long time guy here any way. He had to make money, but got f...cked, actually knocked up and spat OUT THERE BY the Brazilan MAFIA.. Brutal how they made him a worm.. .Not good for him, and not good or whatever..all the same he got nabbed, but he will be free short time coming and did not face the death penalty of being nabbed in Thailand. Maybe they did him a little favor, but still a pawn.

I do know something about their, maf.., crap actions.

unceltom

I wonder whether I'd be reading the same comments on how sorry you all feel for the drug smuggler, how naif and desperate she must have been, how sad it is that a thai young woman is in jail in Malaysia with the death sentence hanging over her - again for being a drug smuggler - IF the perpretator had been a big, african woman from Nigeria...

Somehow, I doubt the sympathy that you all seem to share for the thai woman would also be felt for her.

How sad. What a waste.

Yet another victim of the "war on drugs".

Yes kuffki, you are of course right in your assessment, both in the futility of prohibition, and also in the fact that there are far too many vested interests in the legions of drug enforcement agencies and their equipment / services suppliers.

Things aren't about to change anytime soon, even though it's blindingly obvious that prohibition doesn't work. Never has, never will.

Someone has been caught carrying capsules of drugs in her stomach and you call that " victim of the war on drugs"???

Victim of what, to be precise? The only thing that comes to mind is VICTIM OF GREED ..

It's not GREED. It's wanting to get out of poverty. Two completely different things I think.

Are you saying that her drug smuggling is justified and condoned as being the result of her poor financial situations?

Three Australian nationals have been executed by hanging in Malaysia after being convicted of drug trafficking... were they more guilty of the crime than the thai woman because they didn't, apparently, do it to escape poverty?

Unlucky lady, but you knew the risks and you have a kid. You may only be the mule, but at least it's one less mule.

Long story short, he was dabbling and got messed with hard by them...by them as a guinee pig, ther were 12ve fold more in their paln. But he will not serve or die here..Ga dee! and I love him..

uncletom

You know, you don't have to keep flashing up your nick on every post; it's there for all to see in your profile.

I doubt she would of provided much of useful information. if she did have it(the really useful information) she would not be sentenced to be hung.

I must say though, in the current days hanging is little barbaric in my opinion.

There is 1 sure way to deal with drug problem, but clearly either there is too much money in it or some moral ethics behind it, and i know i am dreaming but one way to win the war is to legalize it all and for drugs to be produced in controlled environment ie factory's

Irrespective if its illegal, people still use it worldwide, so by having it properly manufactured, it may give better results in controlling it, less deaths and rather then spending the money on fighting it, could spend it on education about drugs.

Also it will reduce income for many war lords and terrorists.

I am aware it sounds crazy, but since fighting it has not worked, may be its time to think of other ways.:jap:

Yes i agree they would have got little or nothing from her because she would have known little to nothing, but the presumption was that they just arrest the mule with no thought of the supplier, that is just not the case. They always try and find out who the supplier is and whatever info they get however little is passed on if necessary to the the appropriate authorities to investigate, in this case i'm assuming that would have been the Argentines ...

Putting aside theories on what drug policy should or shouldn't be, when it comes down to it this was a death penalty offence, she new it was a death penalty offence and yet chose to commit the crime. Tbh It's irrelevant what the crime is if you know that there is a death penalty for it and you still go on to commit that crime you only have yourself to blame if you get the death penalty and as much as it's hard not to feel sorry for the girl, she deserves no sympathy...

As for legalising class A drugs, we can all only guess what kind of effect that would have, but i think it's dangerous to assume that it would make things better than they are currently. As much as people don't like to say it or think it, sometimes the people need to be protected from themselves and in my opinion class A drugs being legally available is something they need to be protected from ...

Yep - sad but stupid and ignorance is no defence. Go via Malaysia you get caught - don't matter if you intended to offload in Thailand or not - you are there and thus your fate awaits. With all the warnings though you would have to be totally stupid to attempt it. But agree - kill the mule - kinda has a double edged sword though. Great example not to get involved even if they don't get the top dogs. If I were her I would name them all and let justice take its course.

Unlucky lady, but you knew the risks and you have a kid. You may only be the mule, but at least it's one less mule.

Long story short, he was dabbling and got messed with hard by them...by them as a guinee pig, ther were 12ve fold more in their paln. But he will not serve or die here..Ga dee! and I love him..

uncletom

You know, you don't have to keep flashing up your nick on every post; it's there for all to see in your profile.

You know, it is a very dull day when such a Trivial comment is made from something that happens to be of no consequence or of importance in nay direction.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Where would I be without ever having such advice in my late years in my life.

uncletom.