Isaan Harvest Day/Daterange?

mobiryder

Just curious if anyone knows the appx date the Isaan farmers (Piyak Piyum Pisai, nearest Buriram but technically in Surin) will be selling off their rice crops this year? I ask because we have some paddies and am trying to ascertain, from someone other than my wife and the sharecroppers words (which I don't understand) when to expect this to happen.

Thx and sorry for the Thai farming newb question ;)

Harvest started 2 or 3 weeks ago, will finish mid Dec. Some farmers sell straight away, some keep the crop in anticipation of better prices.

the latest hearsay from the wife's aunt is the water is too high they just started with the machines... does this mean i'll be looking at the end of december, possibly january?

There was a lot of rice flattened by stormy weather and laid low this year, therefore the water level needs to be low, better still if the paddies are dry and the rice not laid in water, the machines take the rice crop much better when dry. So I woud say your information could well be valid.

The rice is dried and stored in rice barns and can be kept for months, some farmers take a loan out from the bank in anticipation of the selling price The bank effectively is buying the rice for a few baht a kg less than the anticipated selling price. That is my understanding.

Some only dry the rice quickly and off to the wholesale buyers. This rice price is less per kg than well dried rice because the water content is checked and a reduction made accordingly.

Edited by 473geo