Mms On Iphone 4 On Ais?

floridaguy

Ok, so on iPhone 3G and AIS, I could never get MMS to work, either receiving or sending. Now with iPhone 4, it is the same. I tried changing the carrier settings manually and with Unlockit.nz, but it didn't work on either phone. iPhone 4 doesn't allow me to manually change the settings anyway. Has anyone gotten it to work? I have tried 3rd party apps also through Cydia and no luck.

It's a weird one. I've had no problems with the 3G or the iphone 4 with either MMS or tethering on AIS.

The 3G (US, jailbroken with redsn0w, unlocked with ultrasn0w) had to be configured manually for MMS and the tethering settings file downloaded.

The iphone 4 (HK factory unlocked, jailbroken with limera1n) came with 4.1 installed and access to the cellular data settings was still open. Once the carrier update had been done through itunes, access to the settings vanished, but everything works fine (data, MMS, tethering - you should be seeing AIS next to the signal bars rather than TH GSM).

The iphone does seem prone to these inexplicable network issues, particularly with cellular data. Unfortunately the only way to resolve them seems to be a restore. So much for "the world’s most advanced mobile operating system."

Try grabbing 4.1 from iclarified and restoring to it (don't do this obviously if you're relying on a software unlock). If you don't do the carrier update, the settings should still be open. Failing this, maybe an earlier firmware will yield better results (assuming you have your SHSH files saved).

Ok, so update. I have reset the network settings. No luck. I have tried unlockit.nz. No luck. I called AIS. No luck. They asked me to go to Settings, General, Network, APN Settings. There is no such menu. There is on my iPhone 3G, but not the iPhone 4. I can't send or receive MMS to any number. Does anyone else have this problem?

Ok, so update. I have reset the network settings. No luck. I have tried unlockit.nz. No luck. I called AIS. No luck. They asked me to go to Settings, General, Network, APN Settings. There is no such menu. There is on my iPhone 3G, but not the iPhone 4. I can't send or receive MMS to any number. Does anyone else have this problem?

i had that problem and AIS sent me a link and also put me through to the iphone section and they fixed I would suggest call them again

Also before i got mine working i updated to the latest firmware which is now up to 4.2.1 I would do that first ,

Also before i got mine working i updated to the latest firmware which is now up to 4.2.1 I would do that first ,

I can't update yet. I don't require unlocking, but I do rely on jailbreaking for many of my apps. 4.2.1 requires a tethered jailbreak. I reboot my phone a couple of times a week for various reasons, and I don't want to have to plug into my pc to do so.

So does 4.2.1 have the menu APN Settings under the General/Network menu?

I can't update yet. I don't require unlocking, but I do rely on jailbreaking for many of my apps. 4.2.1 requires a tethered jailbreak. I reboot my phone a couple of times a week for various reasons, and I don't want to have to plug into my pc to do so.

No my phone does not have that , but the problem was solved by Ais in a three way conversation with the iPhone section , but I until I did the upgrade to the latest 4.1 at the time it would not work.

The only diff my phone is not a jail break .

Dude - did you even read my above post? Let me break it down for you: The settings aren't going to be open on any firmware after you've downloaded the carrier update. They only used to be open because AIS was not an 'official' carrier.

If you use a hacktivated or factory unlocked iPhone on an 'non official' carrier, the phone reverts the the 'unknown carrier' bundle in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/ - essentially the phone thinks it is roaming and the settings are opened up accordingly. Since AIS became an official carrier, an official carrier bundle was created (this is the carrier update that itunes nags you about). Once this is installed - generally speaking, I believe there are a few carriers that are exceptions - you no longer have access to the cellular network data settings. This is partly because the carrier doesn't want people going in there and spazzing things up, and also, in the case of carriers like AT&T, so they can restrict stuff like tethering in order to extort even more money from their customers than they do already. In the case of AIS, everything works fine (as I already explained above) with the carrier bundle: data, MMS, tethering - all fine. There is therefore no need for you to have access to the settings. If you feel you really must have access, you have two options:

1. SSH into your phone and manually edit the carrier.plist file in /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles/AIS_th.bundle (the hard way)

2. Restore your firmware (assuming you have your SHSH's) to one that doesn't contain the carrier bundle (as I already explained above) and don't accept the carrier update (pointless in my view, since the AIS carrier bundle works fine). If you're feeling particularly brave you could simply delete the AIS_th.bundle but I can't vouch for the consequences of this.

It appears that you have already have the carrier bundle installed, since you don't have access to the settings. My best guess is that either:

1. Your jailbreak is interfering with your data settings.

2. One of your Cydia apps is interfering with your data settings.

In either case your best bet is to sync, factory restore to 4.1 (don't restore from a backup, this will probably just restore the problem), re-jailbreak (using limera1n, I can't testify to the other jailbreaks not interfering with data settings) and install your Cydia apps one at a time until you isolate the one that's causing the problem.