Loy Krathong - A Return To Normality?

thinkinofstayin

Last night I saw that there was a very noticeable police presence near the 'old' iron bridge on the river. My wife informs me that they have declared the public area along the river as a 'no-alcohol zone'. It appears that they are attempting to re-claim the festival from the young, drunken kids that turned it into a fire-works war zone in recent years and make it more of a traditional family affair. I'm not against the exuberance of youth, fire-works, or alcohol but together they can be a fatal combination. Common sense has prevailed, I hope. Hat's off to the boys in blue, I say.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ThinkinOfStayin,

We also noticed the police presence near the "iron bridge" last night, and wondered what that was about.

While, in our "relatively quiet" neighborhood, there were lots of firecrackers going off last week, until last night, and, so far, today: it has been a puzzling zone of relative freedom from explosions ... in comparison to years past.

Economic crunch restricting discretionary explosives expenditures ? :)

We will of course, put our little krathong in the water, but at a secret little place we discovered several kilometers down the old Chiang-Mai Lamphun Road where the Ping starts its "swing" somewhat southwest, "far from the madding crowd."

And a lovely feeling it is, to launch that little temporary vessel of hope, dreams, and reverence for the "Mother of the River."

And, since our human component carries the "poetry genes," of course, for him, it's lunar worship as well: his one regret being that he is not strappped down to a marble slab in a sacred grove of Oaks (Teak would be fine, too) while intoxicated naked priestesses dance themselves into a Maenadic frenzy around the ritual 'bon fue' (the bonfire), the climax being his stabbed to death through the heart by a silver crescent shaped knife by the high priestess, thus ending his one-year reign as "King of the Year" during which time he had complete freedom to cavort in every consensual and non-violent way possible with said hottie female priestesses, all of whom, of course, were above the legal age of consent :)

Going to the bridges: don't forget earplugs: pack of 4 only 69 baht at the everything-is-69-baht store in Rimping Nawarat. Suggest using two in each ear.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

...his one regret being that he is not strappped down to a marble slab in a sacred grove of Oaks (Teak would be fine, too) while intoxicated naked priestesses dance themselves into a Maenadic frenzy around the ritual 'bon fue' (the bonfire)..,

It could probably be arranged for a reasonable fee. :D

Actualy they were on the bridge spaced out all along the length of it.

I often walk across it and find it hard at times to get by the teenagers siting on the walk right across from there parked bike drinking beer. Often best walk in the street. They smile but seldom are considerate of others. Like to see it cleaned up permanently.

What I want to know is... Are the bombs going off home made? They sound too loud to be commercial fireworks. The last couple shook my Thai hotel on Sri Phing road. The poor soi dogs are all cowering in whatever shelter they can find. A dogs ears are 20 times more sensitive than humans ears. I'll join the festivities in about an hour. Maybe I'll bring along my Bose ear phones and my I-pod. At least I'll get SOME protection.

I often walk across it and find it hard at times to get by the teenagers siting on the walk right across from there parked bike drinking beer. Often best walk in the street. They smile but seldom are considerate of others. Like to see it cleaned up permanently.

you seriously have a problem with the teenagers sitting on the bridge drinking and socializing?

you seriously have a problem with the teenagers sitting on the bridge drinking and socializing?

Not really it would be nice if they were courteous enough to let a person pass with out getting in the street. Just one of he things you learn to except in The Land of Smiles. Stick around you will see what I mean. I would not even have mentioned it but this thread kinda opened the door.B)

What I want to know is... Are the bombs going off home made? They sound too loud to be commercial fireworks. The last couple shook my Thai hotel on Sri Phing road. The poor soi dogs are all cowering in whatever shelter they can find. A dogs ears are 20 times more sensitive than humans ears. I'll join the festivities in about an hour. Maybe I'll bring along my Bose ear phones and my I-pod. At least I'll get SOME protection.

firework.jpg

Gunpowder is sold by weight (ends up in a plastic bag wrapped in newspaper) and fuse is widely available, usually under the counter in the covered markets. The triangular, locally made 'bangers', are much frowned upon by the BiB, again not openly sold, and rarely sold to strangers.

*removed*

PS (safety note)

Even a small bag of gunpowder (like the small plastic bag pictured here) can be extremely dangerous, you shouldn't even think of doing this yourself without proper training and experience.

Edited by cdnvic
removed "how to" section which could have legal issues

Not really it would be nice if they were courteous enough to let a person pass with out getting in the street.

I have a rather large British friend who refuses to walk on the street and just walks straight into them until they move, They are not hostile about it, but I rather just go around them, personally. :ermm:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I liked it.

Quite annoying though that some old angry farangs were rushing up and down parallel to the procession instead of staying in one place and enjoying the parade. Some of them were in company of (maybe former) bar girls. As they couldn't agree whether it was more important to drop a kratong or to follow the procession, they dumped the offerings next to the McDonald's trashcan.

dsc0156800x600.jpg

Not really it would be nice if they were courteous enough to let a person pass with out getting in the street.

I have a rather large British friend who refuses to walk on the street and just walks straight into them until they move, They are not hostile about it, but I rather just go around them, personally. :ermm:

Thats the good thing about Thailand, the people are pretty relaxed until a breaking point is reached, if he tried that in his own country ( Which he wouldn't dare to do ), he'd end up in hospital.

Very admirable that you step off the sidewalk and into the street to get round them.

But does not that stop traffic in both directions. :rolleyes:

Mr. Caf, you recently complained about posters attacking others with unprovoked insults. I agreed with that post for to do so is classless. Have you changed your opinion, or do you believe that being civil does not apply to you?

Very admirable that you step off the sidewalk and into the street to get round them.

Mr. Caf, you recently complained about posters attacking others with unprovoked insults. I agreed with that post for to do so is classless. Have you changed your opinion, or do you believe that being civil does not apply to you?

Perhaps you can't differentiate between making a joke and "attacking with unprovoked insults"

If you are that sensitive then I apologise.

I liked it.

Quite annoying though that some old angry farangs were rushing up and down parallel to the procession instead of staying in one place and enjoying the parade. Some of them were in company of (maybe former) bar girls. As they couldn't agree whether it was more important to drop a kratong or to follow the procession, they dumped the offerings next to the McDonald's trashcan.

How did you know this ? did they have a sign saying so ? i am an ex bar girl printed on there "t" shirt perhaps ;) and why is it revelent to the post ? in fact what was the point of the post at all :(.

Perhaps you can't differentiate between making a joke and "attacking with unprovoked insults"

If you are that sensitive then I apologise.

Joking about someone who is overweight stopping traffic in both directions by stepping off a sidewalk. Yes, you are correct, I missed that one. :blink:

Regarding your apology, was it for my being sensitive, or for you being insensitive? Assuming that you are being sincere, since I was not the target of your "joke", would it not be appropriate to apologize to the person to whom you were referring?

It would also be nice if he knew what he was talking about.

The iron bridge is one way and wide enough to allow a auto an pedestrian.B)

I liked it.

How did you know this ? did they have a sign saying so ? i am an ex bar girl printed on there "t" shirt perhaps ;) and why is it revelent to the post ? in fact what was the point of the post at all :(.

The point of the post, is that the poster is frustrated and obviously cannot compete with the older farang's........either by 'rushing up and down' or doing it with a nice young chick. wink.gif

"The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity."

~André Gide

0060-0808-2503-2309.jpg