I'M Looking For A Smartphone

edwinchester

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S 4GB for 12,500. They also have the 16GB version for around 17,000. But i figured i get the cheaper one and then buy an additional memory card if needed.

I also looked at the HTC Desire HD, which i liked very much, but was more expensive at around 18,000 and seemed quite lot heavier than the Galaxy.

And was interested in HTC HD7; but was not very impressed with Windows 7 Mobile. Seems like everything was just way to big for the screen (you'd end up spending half your life swiping between screens)

I was expecting to spend 20K on a new phone, but was very happy to only spend 12K and get a very nice phone.

Central World had the Galaxy SL 16GB for Bt 13,900 on Saturday. Admittedly it is a Super LCD screen, rather than the Super AMOLED. I thought about it but decided to hold on and see what price the S2 comes out at.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S 4GB for 12,500. They also have the 16GB version for around 17,000. But i figured i get the cheaper one and then buy an additional memory card if needed.

I also looked at the HTC Desire HD, which i liked very much, but was more expensive at around 18,000 and seemed quite lot heavier than the Galaxy.

And was interested in HTC HD7; but was not very impressed with Windows 7 Mobile. Seems like everything was just way to big for the screen (you'd end up spending half your life swiping between screens)

I was expecting to spend 20K on a new phone, but was very happy to only spend 12K and get a very nice phone.

Central World had the Galaxy SL 16GB for Bt 13,900 on Saturday. Admittedly it is a Super LCD screen, rather than the Super AMOLED. I thought about it but decided to hold on and see what price the S2 comes out at.

I am also waiting to see what the Samsung Galaxy S2 is priced at in Thailand , I would have a guess at 24,000 Baht for a 16GB version :rolleyes:

How much do you think a SGS2 will be ?

but in the end any phone with a screen size less than 4 inches would have my eyes working in overload . I don't care if the phone feels a bit too big in my hand, or wont fit into my pocket too well, or makes my hand ache with its heaver weight , in my personal case screen size does matter .

In my case, a 4" Super AmoLED screen is perfect. That is why the Galaxy S might still be preferrable, even if purchased 2nd hand or re-manned. Also, I think you could still find a new 8 GB version if you are persistent? The new version of the Galaxy S, sometimes referred to as the SL, has an LCD screen, which may be fine, hence the lower price point. (Samsung switched super amoled lines over to the larger screen for the S2.) The Galaxy Cooper has a 3.5" version of this screen and looks pretty good; and the smaller size makes it a bit more portable and probably offers better battery perfomance. Still, not having a 850 Mhz 3G radio is a drawback as you cannot use True.

edited to add: The Galaxy S2 will probaby price out at 23,900 at launch in a basic config. The launch partner will probably throw in a minimum of 1 year free data?

Edited by lomatopo

but in the end any phone with a screen size less than 4 inches would have my eyes working in overload . I don't care if the phone feels a bit too big in my hand, or wont fit into my pocket too well, or makes my hand ache with its heaver weight , in my personal case screen size does matter .

In my case, a 4" Super AmoLED screen is perfect. That is why the Galaxy S might still be preferrable, even if purchased 2nd hand or re-manned. Also, I think you could still find a new 8 GB version if you are persistent? The new version of the Galaxy S, sometimes referred to as the SL, has an LCD screen, which may be fine, hence the lower price point. (Samsung switched super amoled lines over to the larger screen for the S2.) The Galaxy Cooper has a 3.5" version of this screen and looks pretty good; and the smaller size makes it a bit more portable and probably offers better battery perfomance. Still, not having a 850 Mhz 3G radio is a drawback as you cannot use True.

edited to add: The Galaxy S2 will probaby price out at 23,900 at launch in a basic config. The launch partner will probably throw in a minimum of 1 year free data?

I wandered into a Samsung shop last week and the display of Samsung Galaxy S , was empty , I asked the sales assistant if they had any in stock , the answer was yes they had some at 17,500 Baht ( I forgot to ask the GB size ) . Ive tried in store the SGS and the screen was was dipped in AWESOME SAUCE!.

I did at the same time in another shop try a Dell STREAK priced at 19, 500 Baht ( 5 inch screen ) but just as I was playing with it the battery died , its a big phone :D

Sounds interesting, i'm also looking at the Samsung Galaxy, where did you buy it ?

The new version of the Galaxy S, sometimes referred to as the SL, has an LCD screen, which may be fine, hence the lower price point. (Samsung switched super amoled lines over to the larger screen for the S2.) The Galaxy Cooper has a 3.5" version of this screen and looks pretty good; and the smaller size makes it a bit more portable and probably offers better battery perfomance. Still, not having a 850 Mhz 3G radio is a drawback as you cannot use True.

The cooper has long battery life. I was able to play games on wifi and play audiobooks for 3-4 hours before being prompted to plug in charger. It's longer if you use EDGE. Playing music continuously you can get maybe 7-8 hours or more, as long as you keep the screen off. It does a good job of keeping the screen off during phone calls. The top 2 things that burn battery are screen on and wifi/phone signal use. The standby time is excellent. Maybe 2-3 days of near-zero use and the battery was still at over 1/2. But with all smartphones, the best thing is to leave it in a charger overnight. Also try to plug it in whenever it is just sitting and playing music or other autonomous function. This avoids you having to worry about having juice when you need to go all of a sudden.

Does the new Galaxy S have all 3 3G radios?

Does the new Galaxy S have all 3 3G radios?

No. This topic has been addressed more than once in this thread.

The international versions of the Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) and its lesser replacement the Samsung Galaxy SL (GT-I9003), both of which are marketed here in Thailand, have 900/2100 Mhz 3G radios. There are many versions of the original Galaxy S: Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant, et al, which were made for service providers and thay have different radios suited for those specific networks. The AT&T version, Captivate, has a 850/2100 Mhz 3G radio so particularly well suited for use in Thailand.

Preliminary specs on the new Samsung Galaxy S2 indicate it will have 850/900/2100 Mhz 3G radios.

the major flaw being the battery life.

That seems to be a universal problem with smartphones. I think that you have to assume that you will recharge them at least once a day. I tend to plug mine into my laptop whenever I'm at home as that way it charges and also stores my downloaded BBC radio programmes automatically. It still works as a phone when connected on USB.

It's a trade-off between features and battery for the most part. The first iPhone lasted a week on battery - but it also didn't have notifications, e.g. no background apps. With notifications and everything turned on an iPhone 3GS lasts a day. iPhone 4 lasts 2 days with everything on thanks to a bigger battery. But if you turn off some features, like email checking, push email, and notifications, you can easily get it to last a week. It would probably last 2 weeks if you used it only as a phone (but then, what would be the point of that).

Sounds interesting, i'm also looking at the Samsung Galaxy, where did you buy it ?

Got it at a shop in the MBK cellphone area.

I didn't know about it not being able to work with True 3G though (right now i only have Dtac Edge/GPRS but was planning on getting 3G at some point). Do all 3G providers in Thailand use 850Mhz? The phone says it will work on 900/1900/2100; some people have recommended using AIS 3G, do they also use 850Mhz?

AIS have limited 3G in Bangkok, limited to a few locations, except perhaps in Chiang Mai; they use 900 Mhz. You can use TOT 3G, either directly or from one of their resellers, if in metro-Bangkok, as they operate on the 2100 Mhz band.

TOT 3G Update...

TOT have a pretty good coverage website... http://www.i-bkk.com/ilocation/viewer/

Main page --> http://www1.tot3g.net/

MVNO links:

http://www.iec3g.com/web/home.php

http://www.i-kool.net/th/index.php

http://www.imobile3gx.com/

http://www.mojo3g.com/

http://www.365.co.th/store/

Edited by lomatopo

Given the success of the Galaxy S, and its global variants, expectations are high for the S2.

Now I'm thinking this may by north of 25,000 here, when it finally arrives in a few months.

Its going to be interesting to see the launch price here in Thailand, all I can say to any one thinking of buying .....

white-look-into-my-eyes-women-s-t-shirts_design.jpg

TL :D

Five times the price of a ZTE Blade? Can it possibly be worth it?

Darrel , a good question, If it does start to sell here for 24.000 Baht + I wonder how I would convince my self, with out the help of a banned substance to part with all that cash , any Ideas please :D

If it does start to sell here for 24.000 Baht + I wonder how I would convince my self, with out the help of a banned substance to part with all that cash ,

Hmm. Forget the 24,000B Samsung. Buy the 4,500B Blade. Spend the 19,500B on banned things (or indeed whatever you like).

I can think of a shed-load of things to spend 19,500B on. And all of them more interesting than a mobile phone.

If it does start to sell here for 24.000 Baht + I wonder how I would convince my self, with out the help of a banned substance to part with all that cash ,

Hmm. Forget the 24,000B Samsung. Buy the 4,500B Blade. Spend the 19,500B on banned things (or indeed whatever you like).

I can think of a shed-load of things to spend 19,500B on. And all of them more interesting than a mobile phone.

6a00d8341c2f0953ef0147e287d519970b-700wi.png

Well I Think I am :D

2011-03-13_0004.png

ZTE Blade Forum Link

TL

Where can you buy a ZTE Blade in Thailand? 4500 baht? Sounds awesome!!! Want to change from my old BlackBerry like yesterday...

Johan Dufvenmark

Phuket Real Estate Agent

// link removed as per forum rules -- Phil Conners, the mod team.

Have you even read the thread?

Hope you do better research on the property you deal with.

Easy now, guys. He asked a valid question. As far as I can see in this thread it's suggested getting one from the UK, but if you don't know anyone there it'd be interesting if anyone know where to get one in Thailand.

I think that it has been previously established in this thread that the ZTE Blade is not available in Thailand, hence the comments. Some find that amusing. You would have to fly to the U.K., France, India or Bulgaria to purchase this phone. And hurry as it is so good that it should be sold out by now?

This thread has sort of degenerated into a "phones that are super, but are not available in Thailand(, yet)" lament. We seem to have bifurcated the discussion as well, into the extreme low-end and extreme high-end of the Android smartphone market.

Maybe best to get back on track with phones that are available in Thailand today?

No I have not read the entire thread. I Googled for Galaxy S2 and landed on this page. Saw that people recommended buying the Blade for 4500 Thai baht.(Not pounds sterling.) I got excited since I have been looking for it for a while and posted the question. Will read all 5 previous pages next time before I ask anything in order to not get bitter replies from bitter senior members. If someone ever finds out that someone has started importing it to Thailand - please let us know. Got to happen sooner or later,

Best Regards,

Johan

Where can you buy a ZTE Blade in Thailand? 4500 baht? Sounds awesome!!! Want to change from my old BlackBerry like yesterday...

Johan Dufvenmark

Phuket Real Estate Agent

// link removed as per forum rules -- Phil Conners, the mod team.

Have you even read the thread?

Hope you do better research on the property you deal with.

No I have not read the entire thread. I Googled for Galaxy S2 and landed on this page. Saw that people recommended buying the Blade for 4500 Thai baht.(Not pounds sterling.)

I made the original post and in it I went to some length to point out that the price was the GBP equivalent of 4500B and that the phone was possibly a good option for anyone visiting or coming from Europe (or some other parts of the world), or knew people coming from there soon. I think that many people reading this forum are in that situation.

I stand completely by what I said.

You didnt deserve the cutting remark but it was funny. :) Anyone who cant take a bit of flaming should stay off the interweb.

You would have to fly to the U.K., France, India or Bulgaria to purchase this phone. And hurry as it is so good that it should be sold out by now?

Facetious comments dont help.

That phone is widely available in many countries and could be easily obtained by someone travelling soon, or knowing someone who is coming here. I suspect that description covers many in this forum. It could even be sent by post for that matter.

Whilst it does sell very well due to it being very good value for money, I dont think that is it sold out on a regular basis.

No worries Darrel,

I have read all pages now and you have posted a lot of interesting stuff about the Blade trying to help people out.

However I find it a little funny that none of the previous posts actually "establishes" that you can not buy the Blade in Thailand.

One post says it is cheap in the UK(does not mean you can not buy it here) and another of your posts says "I have not seen it here but I don't go to phone shops anyway."

No I have not read the entire thread. I Googled for Galaxy S2 and landed on this page. Saw that people recommended buying the Blade for 4500 Thai baht.(Not pounds sterling.)

I made the original post and in it I went to some length to point out that the price was the GBP equivalent of 4500B and that the phone was possibly a good option for anyone visiting or coming from Europe (or some other parts of the world), or knew people coming from there soon. I think that many people reading this forum are in that situation.

I stand completely by what I said.

You didnt deserve the cutting remark but it was funny. :) Anyone who cant take a bit of flaming should stay off the interweb.

By the way - if I had some friends on their way here from the UK I would not hesitate buying the Blade. It would keep me going until something really good comes along. If you don't have anyone coming over from the UK I would wait a few months. Yes, yes there will always be something new around the corner but it seems releases are clustered. It will be nice being able to choose between Samsung Galaxy S2, LG Optimus 2X, ZTE Skate and perhaps even iPhone 5. Most of mentioned phones are scheduled for April May and I am going to Europe for the summer like many of us:)

However I find it a little funny that none of the previous posts actually "establishes" that you can not buy the Blade in Thailand.

I'm sorry. I thought that I had made it clear.

(Actually I'm still rather surprised that a good cheap phone like this isnt sold here.)