I'M Looking For A Smartphone

edwinchester

As per the title really.

I would like to buy a smartphone.

Requirements are nice big screen, 3G, can be either connected to my notebook or must have wireless my notebook can use and as close to 15k bht as possible. Anything good and for less would be brilliant :)

Oh yes, and the best place to buy in BKK.

Thanks for reading Ed.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want large screen suspect BB is out. So Iphone, HTC and Samsung would likely be the main players in your shopping basket. I would check models of those makes and Google reviews as each person will have there own requirements. I was not looking at 3G during recent checks but it seemed HTC Wildfire was a good mid range model. Bought a Samsung Galaxy 3 for teenager at an even lower price which seems to work well.

I am a basic phone only used when out shopping person but did some research. 3G models seem to be just getting onto the market here and not sure worth the price increase without specific requirements (such as press or such). Phones change so fast these days do not believe it is worthwhile buying the most expensive as a new model next year will likely have the same features at half the price.

I bought from tohome.com and there prices seem to be close to the best (but selection is limited).

BB screen is too small so it leaves you with a HTC Desire, iPhone or Samsung Galaxy - all of which are more than Bt15,000 new. The Galaxy doesn't have a flash but has an 8Mbyte camera and the others have a 5Mbyte with flash.

Apple of course is proprietary OS and the other two are Android.

I'll probably have a slightly used Google Nexus One for sale at the end of the week that will sell for Bt15,000 if you are interested in a used phone - waiting for someone to come from the US with a new phone. PM me if interested.

Wellcom A88 8900bt at MBK Android 2.1 capacitive screen

The A88 seems impressive. Sometimes the online description is off on a few details. I think the webmaster just copy and paste from the previous phone's details, but whatever.

I need to find a wellcom store in phuket. Is there one in Big C?

also wellcom has a mini tablet A800 with android 2.2 . It seems to be the iphone 4 clone version, similar to the i858 from i-mobile. It looks like according to the photo, that the entire desktop can be landscape, instead of only horizontal. I will try to find this in the wellcom store, if i can find the store.

If i could get Android 2.1 out of the box for the other i-mobile or in the shop, I then it becomes a no-brainer I'd have to take a look in store.

i confirmed yesterday that the imobile i858 has android 2.1 natively at the i-mobile shop. i didn't ask about android 2.2. But for me, 2.1 at least will be great for skype.

Edited by 4evermaat

i-mobile, i810 or i858. if it comes with android 1.6, make sure you have the shop upgrade the firmware to 2.1 or 2.2, then verify it in system settings. i-mobilephone.com for specs.

Do you have the 858? I have read very good reviews except for recurring wifi connectivity problems.

i-mobile, i810 or i858. if it comes with android 1.6, make sure you have the shop upgrade the firmware to 2.1 or 2.2, then verify it in system settings. i-mobilephone.com for specs.

Do you have the 858? I have read very good reviews except for recurring wifi connectivity problems.

I plan on getting one next week. On the way, I did check out the galaxy S. i can think of a lot of things i can do with the extra 11k baht. But it does look beauritful. The only thing holding me back from not getting another 3G 8500 or the i810 was because it only has 1.6 Android and i wanted 2.1 or higher.

Was not aware of the wifi thing. Is it a hardware thing, or software? Does it just not connect at all, or is it connect and then drop after a certain amount of minutes?

Once i buy it, hard to take it back, lol.

I plan on getting one next week. On the way, I did check out the galaxy S. i can think of a lot of things i can do with the extra 11k baht. But it does look beauritful. The only thing holding me back from not getting another 3G 8500 or the i810 was because it only has 1.6 Android and i wanted 2.1 or higher.

Was not aware of the wifi thing. Is it a hardware thing, or software? Does it just not connect at all, or is it connect and then drop after a certain amount of minutes?

Once i buy it, hard to take it back, lol.

Reading the reviews it is not clear where the problem lies but people are reporting difficulties getting a wifi connection or holding the connection once they do connect.

People have also posted that the problem can be solved by iMobile and have even got a replacement which was ok.

I hope you post your experience if you do buy this phone as it's one I may consider.

What about this new 'Optimus One' by LG - heard good reviews and it costs under 10,000 Baht.

Thanks for point this one out. I checked it out and see that it isn't a bad phone in that it includes Android 2.2 already. Not sure if there is an LG store in phuket.

I just sold my iPhone 3GS 16GB for 11,500 - that's all I could get for it, even though it was unused and came in the box. Factory unlocked from True in Thailand. Like I said I just sold it, so this isn't an ad to sell mine - I just think it's the best deal by far, considering you can get one in the mall for a similar price.

This phone is almost as good as my brand new iPhone 4 16GB. Same amount of memory. Same, brilliant, OS. Same apps. Nearly same speed. Great camera. Screen is great for that price category but can't compete with the iPhone 4 screen of course. I am a bit sad to see it go, actually.

For 11k or 12k Baht, a second hand iPhone 3GS is far and away the best choice you can make. For that price you could get some second-rate Android device but I wonder what's the point. Likely it will have some issues, slow processor, choppy interface, old Android OS, crap camera, bad battery - one or more of these. Why is it such a great deal? Simple - oversupply. There's 3GSs by the bucketloads at any shop in the mall. But that's to your advantage as it's a fantastic phone.

So I would *highly* recommend a 2nd hand iPhone 3GS. But very important: Make sure it's factory unlocked - best way to tell is there is no Cydia installed. And make sure it's a 3GS, not a 3G (look the same but the 3GS is 2x as fast).

As of this writing, clearly the best deal. Should anything break on it, any shop in the mall can fix it too. Replace the battery, etc.

Edited by nikster

What about this new 'Optimus One' by LG - heard good reviews and it costs under 10,000 Baht.

Thanks for point this one out. I checked it out and see that it isn't a bad phone in that it includes Android 2.2 already. Not sure if there is an LG store in phuket.

I had a look at one earlier in Power Buy (Pattaya, Central) and to me it looked like very good value, but I am no expert on these type of phones. The price was 9,990Bht.

I was asking about the Desire HD at MBK yesterday. They didn't have any but were prepared to sell the HTC Desire for 17,000. Pretty good price and I was tempted.

How do you know you're not just buying one of these?

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Unlocked-NEW-HTC-Desire-G7-Windows-Mobile-6-5-WIFI-GPS-3-8INCH-Cellphone-HTC-G7/135823-2056580.html

13582339956.jpg

---------------------

But to the OP...HTC Desire is an amazing phone.

Both the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S (8 GB model) are generally available for 17,000 as of 4 Dec 2010. As the HTC Desire HD rolls out (maybe this week; great data promotion from AIS) here, and the anticipation builds for the Galaxy S2 (I9200 - guessing March 2011), downward price pressure will continue.

Edited by lomatopo

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Unlocked-NEW-HTC-Desire-G7-Windows-Mobile-6-5-WIFI-GPS-3-8INCH-Cellphone-HTC-G7/135823-2056580.html

13582339956.jpg

---------------------

Quite possibly because I know the difference between Android and scummy Windows.

Put it like this........I currently own a Samsung Omnia i8910 that now runs at 900, or 700, or 500 (whatever I choose) and will quite happily log onto Ovi and play all the Nokia stuff.

I think I know the real deal but thanks for your concern.

http://www.tradetang...23-2056580.html

13582339956.jpg

---------------------

I assure you that my concern is for me; I merely phrased it as a concern for you in an attempt to determine why you were not concerned, so that I could not be concerned.

If you are able to determine the real deal, do you mind sharing with me how you are able to do this? I am currently unable to do this.

http://www.tradetang...23-2056580.html

---------------------

If you are able to determine the real deal, do you mind sharing with me how you are able to do this? I am currently unable to do this.

I should probably have linked to this instead of the link I used:

Unlocked HTC Desire Bravo Google G7 Unlocked GSM 3G WiFI Android Cellphone +WIFI GPS (drop shipping)

12060762589.jpg

"this is made in china version!and 100% look same"

Debates about the morality aside, I am not someone who wants something that "100% look same version" as an HTC Desire. When I pay for an HTC Desire, I want to know how I can tell that I'm not buying the "made in china version"?

Edited by TheyCallmeScooter

Try using some of the HTC codes for firmware and FieldTest (look for the codecs). Lots of codes out there to obtain whatever information you need on the phone.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Try using some of the HTC codes for firmware and FieldTest (look for the codecs). Lots of codes out there to obtain whatever information you need on the phone.

Thanks. But am I incorrect in believing all codecs have to be downloaded (i.e. they don't come preinstalled with genuine HTC Desire smartphones)? If my current belief is not erroneous, doesn't this merely assist you in determining whether or not you have been ripped off post-purchase...as opposed to assisting you as protection pre-purchase of the replica?

Google Nexus S was just introduced in the USA - Android 2.3 and this is the first Android phone that looks decent. For $525 unlocked it seems quite a bit cheaper than the iPhone 4 too, while having similar specs.

If you must go Android - allergies to all things Apple for example - then that's the one to get.

Google Nexus S was just introduced in the USA - Android 2.3 and this is the first Android phone that looks decent. For $525 unlocked it seems quite a bit cheaper than the iPhone 4 too, while having similar specs.

If you must go Android - allergies to all things Apple for example - then that's the one to get.

I don't understand. I thought Google pulled out of the handset game when they discontinued the Nexus One. I could have sworn I read something about them handing over 'responsibility' for Android handsets to HTC...they're back in?