I'M Looking For A Smartphone

edwinchester

BB1950 - Awesome post. You attempted all the things I was thinking that may provide a workaround. Thats great insight for myself and others, thank you. Sorry you could not get the app to work and thanks heaps for trying and confirming my fears.

Soooooooooooo I'm guessing its the service provider in Thailand not allowing it since Google Earth apps are working for people in the U.S. and the U.K.. Sad. If you were using your smartphone

Lamotopo - You asked why don't I just use Google Maps instead of Google Earth and posted a couple of map images. Yes they look remarkably similiar. However I do not use Google Earth in map form such as you posted, I use it for scouting routes through the jungles with the available satellite imagery that is displayed on Google Earth. These satellite images of the areas I'm searching help me determine what dirt roads might come out onto a paved road eventually and not just terminate in a rice field somewhere. Great for planning trips in the remote areas of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

Also thank you for finding out the App has been removed from the Thai Market April 2010.

I guess I can only hope a workaround will appear one day if enough people get frustrated with not having the App available in Thailand. Since I'm in the states currently could I just buy a Samsung Smartphone over here, root it, load the app, and then have it function if I was to only utilize it w/wifi access points in Thailand???

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like Google Earth was removed from the Market ~ April, 2010, perhaps because of the requirements?

Not sure this will help but since it is a standard apk it would not be necessary to root the phone to install.

Google Earth for Android

Installing APK non-market apps

I use Astro as my file manager for Android and can use it to install the app.

Direct google download link of google earth for android

BB1950 - Awesome post. You attempted all the things I was thinking that may provide a workaround. Thats great insight for myself and others, thank you. Sorry you could not get the app to work and thanks heaps for trying and confirming my fears.

Soooooooooooo I'm guessing its the service provider in Thailand not allowing it since Google Earth apps are working for people in the U.S. and the U.K.. Sad. If you were using your smartphone

Lamotopo - You asked why don't I just use Google Maps instead of Google Earth and posted a couple of map images. Yes they look remarkably similiar. However I do not use Google Earth in map form such as you posted, I use it for scouting routes through the jungles with the available satellite imagery that is displayed on Google Earth. These satellite images of the areas I'm searching help me determine what dirt roads might come out onto a paved road eventually and not just terminate in a rice field somewhere. Great for planning trips in the remote areas of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

Also thank you for finding out the App has been removed from the Thai Market April 2010.

I guess I can only hope a workaround will appear one day if enough people get frustrated with not having the App available in Thailand. Since I'm in the states currently could I just buy a Samsung Smartphone over here, root it, load the app, and then have it function if I was to only utilize it w/wifi access points in Thailand???

Thanks in advance.

Evidently I did not do a very good job explaining the mobile Google Earth situation.

1.) Google Earth was removed from every, single, Global, Worldwide version of the Android Market approx. April, 2010. It is not available even if you are in the U.S.A. This is not a Thailand/Android Market application accessibility issue. Many, many people, from many, many countries other than Thailand have commented on this unavailability.

2.) According to the mobile Google Earth site, there are very specific hardware requirements in order to run Google Earth. It only runs on two (2) phones: Nexus One and Droid (Motorola). Since you are in the U.S. you could try to buy one of those models as both are available there.

3.) I said I was able to download the Google Earth apk, sideload the app, install it and run it. Since I do not have the required hardware and associated firmware, I was not able to display Google Earth images.

4.) Since you need WiFi to run the mobile Google Earth application I'd submit that it might not be particularly useful when in remote areas, where WiFi is likely not available. For planning purposes I guess you could use Google Earth on a PC/Notebook, laptop, netbook, iPad?

5.) Buying a smartphone just to run Google Earth would seem to be a waste of money.

Evidently I did not do a very good job explaining the mobile Google Earth situation.

1.) Google Earth was removed from every, single, Global, Worldwide version of the Android Market approx. April, 2010. It is not available even if you are in the U.S.A. This is not a Thailand/Android Market application accessibility issue. Many, many people, from many, many countries other than Thailand have commented on this unavailability.

2.) According to the mobile Google Earth site, there are very specific hardware requirements in order to run Google Earth. It only runs on two (2) phones: Nexus One and Droid (Motorola). Since you are in the U.S. you could try to buy one of those models as both are available there.

Guess I'm still confused. I downloaded the apk from Google to my PC, used Bluetooth to upload it to my phone, Astro to browse to it and install it. Nothing special, just standard manual install of an apk. Google Earth works with no problems on my HTC Desire bought in Thailand. The blue dot is my location via GPS/Google Earth.

post-566-0-12311900-1298513585_thumb.jpg

Guess I'm still confused. I downloaded the apk from Google to my PC, used Bluetooth to upload it to my phone, Astro to browse to it and install it. Nothing special, just standard manual install of an apk. Google Earth works with no problems on my HTC Desire bought in Thailand. The blue dot is my location via GPS/Google Earth.

post-566-0-12311900-1298513585_thumb.jpg

Ooops. Apologies. I am running Froyo (Android 2.2.1, actually a custom ROM, "Serendipity") so evidently was using the wrong version of Google Earth (I installed an older version of the apk). I did find a Froyo version here (gotta love that barcode/QR reader!), and installed it. And voila, it works fine. Sorry about any/all mis-/disinformation in my posts about this app. Thanks to Tywais for motivating me to figure out the problem. Just make sure you match up the proper apk version with your Android version.

post-9615-0-93790400-1298517711_thumb.jp

Thanks to Tywais for motivating me to figure out the problem.

I do like a challenge. :D I did forget to mention that I am also running Froyo. Also, standard DTAC SIM and a WiFi connection to our office access point.

BTW, how did you get such a good photo of the Google Earth image? If you used a screen capture utility would love to know the name of it as haven't been able to find a good one yet.

Wow!! Now that is some very encouraging news. Tywais thanks heaps for uncovering that the App can actually be downloaded and run successfully in Thailand. You even provided links which is very generous. If you have a chance and you're bored could you try and access Google Earth through DTAC instead of the Wifi and let us know if it downloaded ok?? Thanks again..

Thanks to Lomotopo for attempting to enlighten me in regards to the dam_n Smartphones. Fear not that some of the info was incorrect, you bloody well tried and that my friend is appreciated.

You needn't worry that I'm buying a Smartphone specifically to run Google Earth, my old Nokia 5800 has a horrid operating system and was looking for a replacement anyway, I just wanted to make sure whatever I end up with can run Google Earth since it is something I use often.

Now that you guys have confirmed Google Earth can function on a late model Smartphone over here I can join this thread with vigor instead of hijacking the dam_n thing.

Cheers.

If you have a chance and you're bored could you try and access Google Earth through DTAC instead of the Wifi and let us know if it downloaded ok?? Thanks again..

I turned off my Wifi connection and enabled my DTAC EDGE connection and Google Earth runs just fine. I moved around the map a bit to be sure I wasn't looking at cached data and map updates fine, just a little slow but reasonable.

Encouraged by the positive results from Tywais and lomatopo, I decided to try it again. I tried the following Google Earth versions of the apk file with the following results:

Version: 1.0

MD5 Checksum: 3bf939ff1ef0fb56342a240bfa89a965

Filename on the Web: google_earth.apk

Available from Google as mentioned by Tywais in a previous post. This apk installs, but would not open. I mentioned this in a previous post.

Version: 1.1

MD5 Checksum: 60abe11cdcb1306b310fa224880af2b5

Filename on the Web: Earth_1.1.apk (mentioned by lomatopo in a previous post) or com.google.earth.v1.1 (one I had found previously)

This apk would not install.

Version: 1.2

MD5 Checksum: d9c6f2ad050bdfa444488acc03947a34

Filename on the Web: com.google.earth.v1.2

One I had found previously on the Web.

Version: 1.2.1

MD5 Checksum: 26f4cf74846af3ce233c102ae511294b

Filename on the Web: Google_Earth_1.2.1

One found from inside a link provided by Tywais in a previous post.

Again I was disappointed that none of these apk's worked. Even though Tywais and lomatopo had succeeded. I'm also using Android 2.2.1 (Froyo) which is not rooted.

This version of firmware cannot be rooted as a hack has not been found to root/unroot it yet. It is supplied by LG as an update (v10e released in Oct 2010) to their Optimus One P500 smartphone. My update was done by LG as the OTA update had failed. I'm using a TrueMove high speed Internet SIM which was supplied with the phone. I was using my Wi-Fi connection to connect to the Internet to test Google Earth.

I retract my previous statements about use in Thailand as being a restriction. It was a possibility that I read about on the Web. It seemed to be substantiated by not appearing on the Thai version of Google Mobile. But it could still be a restriction by the phone carrier (Tywais mentioned he is using DTAC), however I doubt it. Or as lomatopo mentioned, a limitation to the firmware or hardware.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Google Earth appears on the Android Market for my phone or a workaround is posted on the Web. I'll have to settle for Google Maps in the meantime. It does show a Satellite view.

I want to thank both Tywais and lomatopo for their input. At least I know it's not a Thailand restriction.

Edited by BB1950

Or as lomatopo mentioned, a limitation to the firmware or hardware.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Google Earth appears on the Android Market for my phone or a workaround is posted on the Web. I'll have to settle for Google Maps in the meantime. It does show a Satellite view.

I want to thank both Tywais and lomatopo for their input. At least I know it's not a Thailand restriction.

I did find this thread on XDA where this exchange occurred...

"Is there some way to run Google Earth on P500? Fails to install, or some APKs refuse to start."

"I think it isn't possible. The LG has an ARMv6 processor The same problem as with flash 10.1"

Remembering the Google Earth mobile requirements:

System Requirements

Supported Devices

Nexus One and Droid (utilizing 2.1 or later)

ARMv7 instruction set

SD Memory Card

211 MB Minimum

On Device Memory

35 MB Minimum Free System Memory

Maybe a good reminder to make sure the smartphone model you select is able to run all the applications you require.

If you have a chance and you're bored could you try and access Google Earth through DTAC instead of the Wifi and let us know if it downloaded ok?? Thanks again..

I turned off my Wifi connection and enabled my DTAC EDGE connection and Google Earth runs just fine. I moved around the map a bit to be sure I wasn't looking at cached data and map updates fine, just a little slow but reasonable.

Thanks for the help Tywais.

Now can you help me with the relative weakness of the u.s. dollar ;) since you're batting a thousand in my eyes. .

Or as lomatopo mentioned, a limitation to the firmware or hardware.

I did find this thread on XDA where this exchange occurred...

"Is there some way to run Google Earth on P500? Fails to install, or some APKs refuse to start."

"I think it isn't possible. The LG has an ARMv6 processor The same problem as with flash 10.1"

Remembering the Google Earth mobile requirements:

System Requirements

Supported Devices

Nexus One and Droid (utilizing 2.1 or later)

ARMv7 instruction set

SD Memory Card

211 MB Minimum

On Device Memory

35 MB Minimum Free System Memory

Maybe a good reminder to make sure the smartphone model you select is able to run all the applications you require.

Well that's the symptoms I was experiencing! Thanks again lamatopo! I now know the reason.

I might add again for others to know to remember to select a smartphone that has a 850Mhz 3G radio for use in Thailand. Many smartphones on the market do not support 850Mhz for 3G. Don't get confused as the 850Mhz 2G frequency is supported by many smartphones.

Presently in Thailand, the frequency of 850 Mhz 3G is being used by the majority of the phone carriers. As far as I have learned, the 900Mhz 3G frequency is not implemented in Thailand and no existing carriers are planning on implementing it. Right now the 2100 Mhz 3G is only implement by TOT in very limited areas. Hopefully this will change. But I wouldn't count on it anytime soon!

All of this information may be a bit too technical for the average phone user and the specs may not be readily available when you are looking at smartphones. Buyer be aware! Advertising, press releases, and news articles can be very misleading. You need to do your research prior to buying. If you aren't technical, have someone who's knowledgeable help advise you. But be aware, some of the technical people may get it wrong due to misleading information being promoted.

Presently in Thailand, the frequency of 850 Mhz 3G is being used by the majority of the phone carriers. As far as I have learned, the 900Mhz 3G frequency is not implemented in Thailand and no existing carriers are planning on implementing it. Right now the 2100 Mhz 3G is only implement by TOT in very limited areas. Hopefully this will change. But I wouldn't count on it anytime soon!

Truemove operate 3G on 850 Mhz; they have great coverage in metro-Bangkok and other select areas. There are a few models which have multi-band 3G (aka UMTS, HSPA et al.) radios, including 850 Mhz. There are also USB sticks which support 3G/850 Mhz.

http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/model_support.html

TOT have pretty vast 3G coverage in Metro-Bangkok, with 500+ base stations, certainly equal to or more than True. They operate 3G on the 2100 Mhz frequency. Most 3G-enabled phones have 2100 Mhz. TOT re-sells through MVNOs like IMobile, i-Kool, MoJo, 365.

Going forward I think CAT may build out 850 Mhz and TOT will build out 2100 Mhz, but I have not stayed abreast of the recent developments.

Edited by lomatopo

The new Motorola Atrix 4G looks like the hottest hardware platform currently available. Additionally it does have 850 Mhz (for True) and 2100 Mhz (for TOT/MVNOs) 3G radios. Dual-core, 1GB RAM, qHD screen. Wow.

Unboxing video

The Dell Venue also looks to be a decent phone with 850 Mhz/2100 Mhz 3G radios.

Motorola Atrix 4G Is it released in Thailand? I want that phone. How much is it?

In this thread one TV member has this model. I also know several people who have it, and I have used one extensively, albeit on a AIS/One-2Call/2G network. It is a great phone; I highly recommend it as one the best mid-range Android smartphones. I like the style, design, look, size, weight, feel, screen. Battery life is fantastic, much better than my Captivate. The camera with flash is also great. It has Android 2.2.1, and the sliding Thai keyboard is cool. Some Thais think the virtual keypad is harder to use than the Blackberry.

Edited by lomatopo

In this thread one TV member has this model. I also know several people who have it, and I have used one extensively, albeit on a AIS/One-2Call/2G network. It is a great phone; I highly recommend it as one the best mid-range Android smartphones. I like the style, design, look, size, weight, feel, screen. Battery life is fantastic, much better than my Captivate. The camera with flash is also great. It has Android 2.2.1, and the sliding Thai keyboard is cool. Some Thais think the virtual keypad is harder to use than the Blackberry.

The price for this is 9900 Baht, which is not bad at all. But what can the more expensive models (was looking at a HTC that cost over 20000 Baht) do that this one can't?

The price for this is 9900 Baht, which is not bad at all. But what can the more expensive models (was looking at a HTC that cost over 20000 Baht) do that this one can't?

Let's take the question a step further: what can any of them do that the Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade) cant do for 4500B (GBP equivalent)?

Let's take the question a step further: what can any of them do that the Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade) cant do for 4500B (GBP equivalent)?

http://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade-3391.php

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/en/

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/09/21/orange-brings-android-to-the-masses-with-the-launch-of-san-francisco/

I might classify this as an entry-level Android phone, with ~ 2 year old HW specs. Certainly a nice model. Can you buy these in Thailand? I honestly can't find any local reference to this model, with either the ZTE or Orange tag.

+1. I guess I'm the guy that has the phone, lol. My girlfriend confirmed that the thai keyboard on this model is much better than the one on her imobile 3g 8500 (which is android 1.6). I like the english keyboard and the ability to easily switch between keyboard languages.

The cooper definetly lives up to the hype. Stable with the multifunction. Excellent camera, although I wish it were a little quicker in the autofocus. I haven't had to use k-9 mail, but i'm sure non-google email program would work just fine.

I wouldn't mind getting another one for ~9000 for her, or when I upgrade my phone.

One of the hesitations of purchasing the 20,000 phones is, will you really use everything it offers? You can get a really good windows laptop (maybe quad-core or more, with 4gb ram, decent video card, thin, light, etc. for that price. When dual core smartphones become the norm with 1 gb minimum ram, then i think the 20k will be easier (not fully) to justify.

Edited by 4evermaat

I might classify this as an entry-level Android phone, with ~ 2 year old HW specs. Certainly a nice model. Can you buy these in Thailand? I honestly can't find any local reference to this model, with either the ZTE or Orange tag.

Somewhat better spec than that, I think, though it is indeed a cheap model. Most of the smartphone enthusiasts rave about the value for money saying how much better it is than many other more expensive phones, and I think mine is pretty decent also. It does just about everything I need for a price that wouldnt bother me if it was lost, stolen or eaten by a Soi dog.

The phone is available without contract in the UK for 4500B (equiv.) from Orange and Argos, and it is also widely available throughout Europe and much of the rest of the world either branded or unbranded. The UK seems to have the cheapest prices though. I have not seen it here but I dont go to phone shops anyway. From what I do see here all phones seem to be very expensive compared to mine.

Looks like there may be a new ZTE coming out in a couple of months.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2011/02/14/zte-skate-android-gingerbread-blower-outed/

"ZTE is the latest mobile maker to unleash its new wares at Mobile World Congress. The ZTE Skate is another Android competitor, packing in Gingerbread, as well as some standard smartphone savviness to ensure it can kick it with the big boys. Keep reading for all the details.

The ZTE Skate crams in the usual spec sheet we’ve come to expect from the very best Android cells, with Wi-Fi, HSDPA, GPS and Bluetooth. There’s an 800MHz processor, which while fast, isn’t quite up to snuff with the 1GHz and dual core efforts on show in Barcelona this week.

Screen-wise, the ZTE Skate touts a 4.3-inch number, which will come in more than a little handy when framing pics using the 5 megapixel camera. We’ve got high hopes for this new ZTE phone, especially as they made the ace Orange San Francisco, one of our highest ranked mobiles of 2010.

The ZTE Skate is due to hit shelves in May this year."

There's always a new something coming out in a couple of months. How long do you wait?

I think that this phone is an excellent choice for anyone visiting the UK or expecting visitors from the UK any time soon.

It has to beat paying 10,000B here.