I'M Looking For A Smartphone

edwinchester

There's always a new something coming out in a couple of months. How long do you wait?

+1

I think that this phone is an excellent choice for anyone visiting the UK or expecting visitors from the UK any time soon.

It has to beat paying 10,000B here.

Well, one thing you need to consider is who will use the phone also. When you buy it in Thailand or surrounding countries, there will usually have multiple Asian languages as well as english (US/UK or somethimes both like with the Samsung Cooper).

In some cases it's easy to add language packs, but not necessarily.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one thing you need to consider is who will use the phone also. When you buy it in Thailand or surrounding countries, there will usually have multiple Asian languages as well as english (US/UK or somethimes both like with the Samsung Cooper).

In some cases it's easy to add language packs, but not necessarily.

I added the DroidSans Thai Arch Keyboard to my U.S. Android phone. It was quite challenging, requiring a rooted phone, and using adb commands to create directories and push files.

I guess championing a particluar phone model is OK, a bit off-putting after a while, but it might help if the phone was actually available here in Thailand, and more than one person was having a positive experience? I have looked quite extensively for this model, or a variant (Dell markets this model in India, as the XCD35) here in Thailand without success. No major wholesaler/distributor/retailer (Jaymart, Imobile, M-Link, et al.) seems to be carrying it, nor do any local re-branders like WellcoM seem to be offering it. I can't even find references to it in any Thai forums. Again, it seems like a nice "value" Android 2.1 smartphone, provided you are able to buy it somewhere.

The language options on my (flashed) Blade include about 40 languages and several different scripts including Thai.

Again, it seems like a nice "value" Android 2.1 smartphone, provided you are able to buy it somewhere.

Mine is now a nice value Android 2.3 smartphone. And it stilll only cost 4500B. :)

And, as I mentioned, it is readily available in the UK without contract and so potentally very suitable for anyone thinking of going there soon, or expecting people from there.

Again, it seems like a nice "value" Android 2.1 smartphone, provided you are able to buy it somewhere.

Mine is now a nice value Android 2.3 smartphone. And it stilll only cost 4500B. :)

And, as I mentioned, it is readily available in the UK without contract and so potentally very suitable for anyone thinking of going there soon, or expecting people from there.

Just so the average, non-enthisiast is not misled, the ZTE Blade runs Android 2.1. There is some talk about an official 2.2 upgrade coming. It sounds as though you have modified the phone to run CyanongenMod 7, a custom ROM based on a leaked version of Android 2.3 (aka Gingerbread). Further, it sounds as though you loaded some sort of Thai keypad? Anyone buying this phone, in one of the locales where it is available, would get Android 2.1, and no Thai keypad. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the typical user to have to modify their phone, run the risk of damaging the device and void the warranty, all to just turn it in to a more acceptable phone when they can buy one at the get-go?

Again, it is a very nice Android 2.1 entry-level Android phone, one of the best in this category according to many, many sources, provided you are able to purchase it. (Bulgarian operator Globul will be offering this model as the Z23 soon.) ZTE seems to be a very aggressive, high-volume communications equipment manufacturer intent on breaking into the higher-margin, end-user device business. The market for a model like this, at this price-point, is potentially massive, particularly in developing countries, but you do need local marketing partners, localized product, focused marketing efforts, localized applications and cost-effective mobile broadband networks to reach any sort of critical mass.

The developer, hobbbyist and enthusiast community associated with this model is quite large, which came as a surprise to me.

The language options on my (flashed) Blade include about 40 languages and several different scripts including Thai.

Sounds good, although i agree with lomatopo; a mod shouldnt be necessary unless it consists of a manufacture language pack or other upgrade.

The developer, hobbbyist and enthusiast community associated with this model is quite large, which came as a surprise to me.

You areeither a tech geek, or a serious cell phone hobbyist.

There's always a new something coming out in a couple of months. How long do you wait?

I think that this phone is an excellent choice for anyone visiting the UK or expecting visitors from the UK any time soon.

It has to beat paying 10,000B here.

I will be heading back to the UK shortly, so am quite interested in the ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco for use here in Thailand.

Out of interest, do you run Skype (for Android) on your phone? If so, can you post on the performance for calls/IM. I need to run Skype and be able to access the internet at the same time (for around 8 hours per day), so looking for something cheaper than an I-Phone which can facilitate this. Any suggestions welcome.

I'd also be interested to find out which mobile service you use (and in which area) and what sort of calls/data package you're on. Does the ZTE Blade limit choices in any way in comparison to buying a top of the range smartphone?

Just so the average, non-enthisiast is not misled, the ZTE Blade runs Android 2.1. There is some talk about an official 2.2 upgrade coming. It sounds as though you have modified the phone to run CyanongenMod 7, a custom ROM based on a leaked version of Android 2.3 (aka Gingerbread). Further, it sounds as though you loaded some sort of Thai keypad? Anyone buying this phone, in one of the locales where it is available, would get Android 2.1, and no Thai keypad. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the typical user to have to modify their phone, run the risk of damaging the device and void the warranty, all to just turn it in to a more acceptable phone when they can buy one at the get-go?

You are correct about Cyanogen, though other people in this thread were already talking about flashing ROMs etc., so I saw no problem adding my 2 cents. I apologise to anyone who may have been misled by my comments.

I did not add a Thai keyboard though: the multiple language and script options are there by default in 2.3, and in 2.2 AFAIK (not that I ever use them, except for reading the Thai script SMSs that True send me).

The Orange ZTE, as purchased in the UK at the moment, is indeed an Android 2.1 device. By most accounts an official 2.2 upgrade will be released shortly. I doubt it will ever see an official 2.3 update though which is a shame as it runs it very nicely.

Any hobbyist concerned about the warranty will be pleased to know that the original Orange branded ROM is available online.

Even with the original Orange branded 2.1 ROM this phone is a bargain and works well.

Really? Nice, cheap no-contract smartphone that can be unlocked for free and easily rooted? Sounds like a hobbyists dream. :)

Out of interest, do you run Skype (for Android) on your phone? If so, can you post on the performance for calls/IM. I need to run Skype and be able to access the internet at the same time (for around 8 hours per day), so looking for something cheaper than an I-Phone which can facilitate this. Any suggestions welcome.

Skype willl install and run on this phone. I dont use it myself but I have used Fring and some other VOIP/SIP clients. There is a slight issue on some clients with sound coming from the rear speaker rather than the earspeaker (also affects some other Andoid phones and apparently is a kernel problem), but this doesnt seem to affect Fring or Skype AFAIK and there are workarounds for other clients.

I'd also be interested to find out which mobile service you use (and in which area) and what sort of calls/data package you're on. Does the ZTE Blade limit choices in any way in comparison to buying a top of the range smartphone?

I do not have a data package in Thailand: I only use normal domestic wifi which works fine in Pattaya. Indeed I have no phone package at all: just a prepaid True SIM as I rarely make calls but receive many. True do keep sending me SMSs inviting me to take their data package.

About the only thing that the Blade cant do is Flash media, and this is due to the processor used which is not up to the spec demanded by Adobe. Flash is notably needed for BBC iPlayer and some other similar streamed media. YouTube works fine without Flash. All Android apps I have tried work fine (GPS/SatNav, Maps, media players, ebook readers, news clients, various browsers, K9 email, Angry Birds, Spotify, internet radio players).

I am not aware of any other disadvantage with the Blade. Most people who know about such things say that it compares favourably with similar devices that cost up to 3 times as much. I expect that the build quality with other phones is better, but so one would expect if one pays 3 times more. I'm more inclined to go for the cheap one and change it more often.

Edited by Darrel

I will be heading back to the UK shortly, so am quite interested in the ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco for use here in Thailand.

This is a very challenging set of applications and requirements. If I understand correctly, you want to tether a smartphone in order to use a 3G connection, in essence turning it in to a multi-port WiFi router, and then use it to connect a notebook PC, via WiFi, to access the internet. Would you be running Skype on the smartphone, or the notebook PC? I honestly don't know if a phone can be tethered and be used simultaneously, whether straight GSM or Skype?

I'm not sure the ZTE Blade supports tethering as this is more of an Android 2.2 feature, but as you can tell the phone can be modded to perhaps add this functionality.

You'd also need a TOT 3G account (directly or from one of their MVNOs) as this model only has 900/2100 Mhz 3G radios. TOT's 3G network operates on 2100 Mhz.

An iPhone would work on True's 850 Mhz 3G network.

Your application is much better solved with a fixed-broadband connection, like DSL. And it would be less expensive. Are you unable to get a DSL line?

I do not have a data package in Thailand: I only use normal domestic wifi which works fine in Pattaya. Indeed I have no phone package at all: just a prepaid True SIM as I rarely make calls but receive many. True do keep sending me SMSs inviting me to take their data package.

I am not aware of any other disadvantage with the Blade.

True's 3G network operates on 850 Mhz, and as your phone does not support that frequency you would not be able to use their 3G network. You could use their 2G (GPRS/EDGE) network. Your phone has 900/2100 Mhz radios so you could use TOT/MVNOs who offer 3G in the metro-Bangkok area.

Mobility and connectivity are two of the primary benefits of a smartphone. Being tied to just WiFi hotspots would seem to reduce the benefits immensely?

Edited by lomatopo

I'm not sure the ZTE Blade supports tethering as this is more of an Android 2.2 feature, but as you can tell the phone can be modded to perhaps add this functionality.

Tethering on the Blade is available in (some) 2.2 ROMs and the 2.3 ROM. It is not a feature that I have used.

True's 3G network operates on 850 Mhz, and as your phone does not support that frequency you would not be able to use their 3G network. You could use their 2G (GPRS/EDGE) network. Your phone has 900/2100 Mhz radios so you could use TOT/MVNOs who offer 3G in the metro-Bangkok area.

Mobility and connectivity are two of the primary benefits of a smartphone. Being tied to just WiFi hotspots would seem to reduce the benefits immensely?

Fair enough, but personally I have absolutely no need for a mobile data service at all. I spend most of my time in 3 places that have wifi and when away from those places I do not require any sort of data access. In fact when away from those places I often dont have the phone with me. YMMV

All I'm trying to do here is to point out the merits of a device that is a cheap and practical solution for me, and may well be for someone else also. Obviously anyone with special requirements like Thai keyboards or 3G tethering etc would need to check that any phone they wanted to buy would support all of these. 850Mhz support seems to be quite thinly spread, even on much more expensive phones.

This is a very challenging set of applications and requirements. If I understand correctly, you want to tether a smartphone in order to use a 3G connection, in essence turning it in to a multi-port WiFi router, and then use it to connect a notebook PC, via WiFi, to access the internet. Would you be running Skype on the smartphone, or the notebook PC? I honestly don't know if a phone can be tethered and be used simultaneously, whether straight GSM or Skype?

You'd also need a TOT 3G account (directly or from one of their MVNOs) as this model only has 900/2100 Mhz 3G radios. TOT's 3G network operates on 2100 Mhz.

An iPhone would work on True's 850 Mhz 3G network.

Your application is much better solved with a fixed-broadband connection, like DSL. And it would be less expensive. Are you unable to get a DSL line?

Thanks for the reply lomatopo and thanks also to Darrel for the earlier response.

Lomatopo, I think perhaps I didn't explain my requirements too well. One main reason for me looking into connectivity via a phone is that I'm moving to an area where a connection via a fixed landline may not be an option. So I'm looking for options in the event that this is the case. I need to be hooked up to Skype for several hours per day and be able to access gmail and the internet for general surfing. No heavy downloading required. Your information about True being 850 Mhz is therefore very useful as it effectively rules out using this ZTE Blade if my only option for non-DSL internet is True. Given I'll have a few options of place to stay, I'm just trying to get a handle on what I can do for internet access in each event if DSL is not available.

TCA, just to clarify...True offer 'blanket' (100%, with 500+ bases stations) 3G throughout metro-Bangkok, and a few other locations in Thailand, on 850 Mhz. TOT offer similar 'blanket' 3G coverage of metro-Bangkok on 2100 Mhz. The ZTE Blade does support 2100 Mhz so you could use TOT 3G, directly or from one of their reellers (MVNOs) like I-Mobile, i-Kool, IEC, MoJo, 365. Some of the promotions from these MVNOs are quite attractive, and cost-effective.

I still think you'd need to 'tether' your phone, to your PC, in order to access the 3G WAN connection. You can also use it as a modem, but only for 2G (GPRS/EDGE) which may not provide enough bandwidth for your apps.

Tethering on the Blade is available in (some) 2.2 ROMs and the 2.3 ROM. It is not a feature that I have used.

Fair enough, but personally I have absolutely no need for a mobile data service at all. I spend most of my time in 3 places that have wifi and when away from those places I do not require any sort of data access. In fact when away from those places I often dont have the phone with me. YMMV

All I'm trying to do here is to point out the merits of a device that is a cheap and practical solution for me, and may well be for someone else also. Obviously anyone with special requirements like Thai keyboards or 3G tethering etc would need to check that any phone they wanted to buy would support all of these. 850Mhz support seems to be quite thinly spread, even on much more expensive phones.

Thanks Darrel for the ZTE blade info and comments , I'm looking for a first cheap Android phone just to experiment and play about with , before moving on to a high end model and the ZTE sounds about right :) Now all I need is to find some one living next to an Argos store :D

TL

TCA, just to clarify...True offer 'blanket' (100%, with 500+ bases stations) 3G throughout metro-Bangkok, and a few other locations in Thailand, on 850 Mhz. TOT offer similar 'blanket' 3G coverage of metro-Bangkok on 2100 Mhz. The ZTE Blade does support 2100 Mhz so you could use TOT 3G, directly or from one of their reellers (MVNOs) like I-Mobile, i-Kool, IEC, MoJo, 365. Some of the promotions from these MVNOs are quite attractive, and cost-effective.

I still think you'd need to 'tether' your phone, to your PC, in order to access the 3G WAN connection. You can also use it as a modem, but only for 2G (GPRS/EDGE) which may not provide enough bandwidth for your apps.

Thanks lomatopo. We're talking about moving to deepest darkest Isaan here, Surin Province, so 3G will be out the question I'm afraid. So it looks like the best I can probably do via the phone is something via GPRS/EDGE (2G). So I'm guessing to use my laptop, I'd either have to buy a USB modem and stick in a prepaid internet SIM card (?) or buy an EDGE enabled phone (a basic Nokia with Edge capability?) and hook that up to the laptop with a USB cable?

Or direct access via a smartphone and forget the laptop.

Sounds a bit of a nightmare for a non-techy like me. I just hope I can sort a landline!

I think that you may be expecting rather too much from EDGE. In fact if you are really going to the back of beyond you may find that you dont even have decent EDGE coverage. Even if you do then as you mention you may find it better to get a USB dongle for your laptop and attach an external antenna to it, or use an extension USB cable to get the dongle up on the roof as others have done.

Would CAT CMDA be available in your area?

I think that you may be expecting rather too much from EDGE. In fact if you are really going to the back of beyond you may find that you dont even have decent EDGE coverage. Even if you do then as you mention you may find it better to get a USB dongle for your laptop and attach an external antenna to it, or use an extension USB cable to get the dongle up on the roof as others have done.

Would CAT CMDA be available in your area?

Thanks Darrel, CAT may be my only option. I have read of people using CDMA EV-DO in the area, which I understand is a slightly advanced form of CDMA (?) and there seemed to be a lot of antennas and aerials involved. This is just wireless internet transmitted from a signal mast right? CAT CDMA seems to transmit at 849 MHz and 869 MHz (from a quick google), so obviously that's a consideration too.

Going to have to choose my location very carefully I think.

Edited by TCA

Thanks Darrel. Your help is much appreciated.

Anyone like the look of this one below?

Samsung Galaxy Mini / S5570 : 5,990 baht

Product feature (s).

Signal (Band) WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (900/2100 MHz).GSM Quad Band (850/900/1800/1900 MHz).

The processor (CPU).CPU 600 MHz.

Operating system (OS). OS Android version 2.2 (Froyo).

Display (Display).Touch Screen 3.14 "QVGA TFT (320 x 240).

Memory in the machine.(Internal Memory).Internal memory 160 MB.

External memory (Memory Slot).Can add a MicroSD expansion up to 16 GB.

Cameras (Camera).3-megapixel camera resolution.

Connectivity Bluetooth (Bluetooth).Bluetooth 2.1.

Data connection. (Connectivity).USB 2.0.

High-speed network. (GPRS / EDGE / HSCSD).

Support connectivity HSDPA 7.2 (900/2100 MHz).

Supporting connectivity GPRS / EDGE (850/900/1800/1900).

Wi-Fi (WLAN).WiFi 802/11 b / g / n.

Time power (Standby Time). Talk time up to 9 hours 36 minutes (for 2G), 6 hours 22 minutes (for 3G).

Standby up to 571 hours (for 2G), 444 hours (for 3G).

Batteries (Battery).Li-ion Battery Size 1200 mAh.

Other features (Other Feature).

Music player supports file MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WAV, MID, AC3.

Supported video file MP4/H.263/H.264.

Extra features: Swype, Augmented Reality.

Weight (Weight).Weight 106.6 grams.

After Sales Service (Services).Center Samsung Tel. 0-2689-3232.

http://www.tohome.com/product_detail.aspx?product_id=20110200099&Product_name=Samsung%20Galaxy%20Mini%20/%20S5570%20(LIME%20GREEN)%20(ด้านข้างสีเขียว)

Edited by TCA

This was one of the newer lines of Galaxy series. It is about 1-2 steps down from the cooper. But to save the 3-4000 baht from the cooper, you have to sacrifice a smaller, and less sharp display, less memory and processing power. The camera....does it have flash? Manufacturers go out of their way to ensure they remove one key feature in a phone to make the decision making process "hard". In 2011, we still don't include a basic flash on a phone? And the outer color of the phone.

There's also the acer b140

I always disliked that kind of manufacturing practice. Basically you purposely cripple a product in order to make people upgrade later or perform more maintenance work.

A good example of this in the software field is skype disabling 3G connectivity in the USA.

Edited by 4evermaat

This was one of the newer lines of Galaxy series. It is about 1-2 steps down from the cooper. But to save the 3-4000 baht from the cooper, you have to sacrifice a smaller, and less sharp display, less memory and processing power. The camera....does it have flash? Manufacturers go out of their way to ensure they remove one key feature in a phone to make the decision making process "hard". In 2011, we still don't include a basic flash on a phone? And the outer color of the phone.

There's also the acer b140

I always disliked that kind of manufacturing practice. Basically you purposely cripple a product in order to make people upgrade later or perform more maintenance work.

A good example of this in the software field is skype disabling 3G connectivity in the USA.

I was wondering about the screen resolution ( 320 X 240 ) :(

But to save the 3-4000 baht from the cooper, you have to sacrifice a smaller, and less sharp display, less memory and processing power. The camera....does it have flash? Manufacturers go out of their way to ensure they remove one key feature in a phone to make the decision making process "hard". In 2011, we still don't include a basic flash on a phone? And the outer color of the phone.

Just about every manufacturer/supplier of every product or service does this. From the various versions of Windows (all versions are the "full" version but with certain bits turned off) right through to the local noodle shop which charges 5B extra for the shrimp dish, and not forgetting all brands of car. After all, if all models/versions of everything included all the features then nearly everyone would just buy the cheapest model.

Personally flash is not something I need on a phone and I have never even come close to filling the available memory on my phone. Most people would not be bothered by a lack of processing power either, and if they were they would buy the bigger, better, more expensive model.

I would say the screen is the most important issue in this particular instance, though that may be because I have old eyes.

I was wondering about the screen resolution ( 320 X 240 )

And the size. This is not a large screen. I can barely see the ZTE screen without my glasses on and I wouldnt want anything smaller.

Yes, I picked up on this also. The plus points to me were that it runs a newer version of Android (compared to the ZTE Blade, so no fiddling required), is set up for tethering, you can use on 850MHz (so can use True 3G if that's an option for you) and the camera seems to get much better reports. Good reviews on gsmarena.com with the major flaw being the battery life.

I was wondering about the screen resolution ( 320 X 240 )

And the size. This is not a large screen. I can barely see the ZTE screen without my glasses on and I wouldnt want anything smaller.

Yes, I picked up on this also. The plus points to me were that it runs a newer version of Android (compared to the ZTE Blade, so no fiddling required), is set up for tethering, you can use on 850MHz (so can use True 3G if that's an option for you) and the camera seems to get much better reports. Good reviews on gsmarena.com with the major flaw being the battery life.

The Galaxy mini specs state the 3G radio is dual band 900/2100 only, so no 850 and no True 3G unfortunately.

I don't currently own a touch screen phone but have decided its time to retire my current Sony Ericsson K790i to its final resting place in the odds and sods draw along with the balls of string and paper clips,

and join the smartphone set .

After hours of internet research I finally ventured out in the real world with my list of phones I wanted to look at and trawled the shopping malls and phone shops, the bottom line in my search for me personally was in the end no matter how quick the processor was, no matter what camera or flash was, no matter the memory size etc , the phones with a smaller screen were just not right for me and my all ready spectacle assisted old eyes , I know theres pinch and zoom options , but in the end any phone with a screen size less than 4 inches would have my eyes working in overload . I don't care if the phone feels a bit too big in my hand, or wont fit into my pocket too well, or makes my hand ache with its heaver weight , in my personal case screen size does matter .

I wonder just how many people may have after buying a small screen smartphone come to the same conclusion ?

I can't wait until I join The ...... my ➜ phone ➜ will ➜ soon ➜ be ➜ smarter ➜ than ➜ I ➜ am ➜ club :D

[The Galaxy mini specs state the 3G radio is dual band 900/2100 only, so no 850 and no True 3G unfortunately.

Yes, you're quite correct. I've seen GSM 850MHz on 2G and put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5.

Apologies for the confusion. This is a learning process for this newbie.

I wonder just how many people may have after buying a small screen smartphone come to the same conclusion ?

My Blade has a 3.5in screen (and its a very good OLED one with pretty high resolution). I certainly wouldnt want anything smaller but by turning the default font settings up a notch I find that I can use it for most purposes without my glasses, and have no trouble with my glasses on using it to read whole ebooks or glance at websites. I wouldn't use it look at websites for long though, even though it does have a zoom function, but I cant imagine that being any different until I got up to tablet-size screens like the iPad.

So I would say that 3.5in is the minimum practical size.

the major flaw being the battery life.

That seems to be a universal problem with smartphones. I think that you have to assume that you will recharge them at least once a day. I tend to plug mine into my laptop whenever I'm at home as that way it charges and also stores my downloaded BBC radio programmes automatically. It still works as a phone when connected on USB.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S 4GB for 12,500. They also have the 16GB version for around 17,000. But i figured i get the cheaper one and then buy an additional memory card if needed.

I also looked at the HTC Desire HD, which i liked very much, but was more expensive at around 18,000 and seemed quite lot heavier than the Galaxy.

And was interested in HTC HD7; but was not very impressed with Windows 7 Mobile. Seems like everything was just way to big for the screen (you'd end up spending half your life swiping between screens)

I was expecting to spend 20K on a new phone, but was very happy to only spend 12K and get a very nice phone.