Sending Money To Thailand

Hi Guys, Would appreciate help on this matter.

My Thai wife living, and working in the UK wants to pay off her house loan with GHB Bank Bangkok.

We asked GHB Bank could we send a Swift transfer from HSBC UK to pay £7,000 they said they did not accept Money transfers.

Spoke to their so called English speaker but he spoke about as much English as a donkey. He suggested we transfer it to a friend and the friend could bring the cash to the bank, lol

It would appear this so called bank only accepts cash. Funny but we are up against a brick wall with this bank.

Thanks Tom.

Send the GBP 7,000 to me and I will take it to the GHB

Very funny

Serious.

I have an unblemished financial record andwill take the GBP 7,000 round to my local GHB branch with your account details.

Problem solved - they say they want cash, I can deliver on your behalf.

If you are risk averse you could get your wife to talk the bank - forget trying to talk to an "Engrish" section.

Moved to the Bank and Business Forum.

Maybe get more help.

Thank you sir.

You didnt have much luck on the telephone, did you check the website ? maybe its worth sending an email and you may get a better response ? (get wife to write in Thai)

only a suggestion :)

http://www.ghb.co.th/en

Done both mate it seems they do not accept International money transfers. Very strange for a bank. Seems like a Mickey Mouse operation.

http://www.ghbank.co.th/en/index.html

Edited by virtualdave

Moved to the Bank and Business Forum.

Maybe get more help.

Thank you sir.

You didnt have much luck on the telephone, did you check the website ? maybe its worth sending an email and you may get a better response ? (get wife to write in Thai)

only a suggestion :)

http://www.ghb.co.th/en

Done both mate it seems they do not accept International money transfers. Very strange for a bank. Seems like a Mickey Mouse operation.

http://www.ghbank.co.th/en/index.html

I doubt HM would see it that way !

Do your research:-

The Government Housing Bank was created when His Majesty the King Bhumibol Adulyadej graciously signed the Government Housing Bank Act B.E. 2496 on January 9, 1953 and published it in the Royal Gazette on January 20, 1953.

The Bank, a special-purpose financial institution under the Finance Ministry's supervision opened for business on September 24, 1953, with its mission being to help secure appropriate housing finance for the general public.

Does you wife have any other bank account in Thailand? How do you make payments regularly? I would suggest sending your funds to an account at a commercial bank (i.e by SWIFT) and then instructing a transfer via BAHTNET to Govt Housing Bank. In the worst case the transfer instruction could be sent in writing (original signature etc) to your commercial bank and they process it on from there.

Have done a lot of research, what type of Bank does not accept International Money transfers.

Perhaps a Government Housing Bank designed solely for proving funds to Thais for purchasing Thai property. Why would it need to accept SWIFT payments ?

Have done a lot of research, what type of Bank does not accept International Money transfers.

Perhaps a Government Housing Bank designed solely for proving funds to Thais for purchasing Thai property. Why would it need to accept SWIFT payments ?

For Thai's working, and or living abroad

Well guys, here is the conclusion to this problem.

GHB Bank Thailand do not accept any type of International transfer of funds.

With no help from them, it looks like we will transfer the £7,000 to wife's brother into his Bangkok Bank account, he will then get a cashire cheque made out to the GHB and pay it in.

GHB say because my wife is not there to accept title deed they will hold papers for her at a charge. Makes you wonder how much it costs to hold paper documents.

Also found out today from a more senior official at the bank that there is a substantial discount available on the interest of the loan, he advised that first pay off interest part of the loan, and two days later pay off the capital to get the discount.

You have to laugh at there ways. Imagine going into the Halifax and being told this lol.

Thank's guys for your comments, and a big up to tgeezer.