Sex Ratio

BaanOz

Hi,

I've always heard that the ratio of women to men in Thailand was in favour of women. It is true apparently, but not what I expected.

In Thailand it is:

total population: 0.98 male(s)/female (2005 est.)

As a comparison Australia is:

total population: 0.99 male(s)/female (2005 est.)

Hmmm 0.01 difference ...hardly worth the post! :o

Cheers BaanOz

Funny, the UK is 0.98, same a Thailand.

I don't remember there being quite so many cute ones though :D:D Actually, more like 98 dogs to each bloke. :o

The cute one is the 0.01 and she went ot Oz.

Edited by Crossy

Compare Thailand (or just about anywhere) to the middle East countries:

Qatar takes the 'cake' with total population: 1.88 male(s)/female (2005 est.) :D

No surprises there :o

On the other end of the scale there's:

Russia/Ukraine at .86 males/females

Edit/ sorry, source is:

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factb...ields/2018.html

Edited by baht&sold

What you really need to know is the ratio men:women by age group.  In the UK the birth ratio is 51% men to 49% women.  There are more women than men overall because women have a longer life expectancy so the extra .02 are all old.

Fair enough!

Here's the full lot if you didn't see in the link in the OP:

Thailand

Sex ratio:

at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 0.98 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 0.85 male(s)/female

Cheers, BaanOz

I don't remember there being quite so many cute ones though  :D  :D  Actually, more like 98 dogs to each bloke. :D

Oh Crossy, the females on here are gonna have you for that one :o

Just Curious.

Looked at this Post, How will it affect the overall percentages?

Obviously it will affect the individual :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40645&hl=

Regards

Ivan

:D

Hi,

I've always heard that the ratio of women to men in Thailand was in favour of women. It is true apparently, but not what I expected.

In Thailand it is:

As a comparison Australia is:

total population: 0.99 male(s)/female (2005 est.)

Hmmm 0.01 difference ...hardly worth the post!  :o

Cheers BaanOz

I don't remember there being quite so many cute ones though  :D  :D  Actually, more like 98 dogs to each bloke. :D

I can already feel by balls being crushed... Chang powered post

Sorry girls :D

I can already feel by balls being crushed... Chang powered post

Sorry girls :D

Should just about do it mate :D Mods, for us blokes who occasionally put our size 11's in it, is there a "smilie" eating "humble pie". It would probably be a well used one :D

Crossy - You still said it though. The thought must of been in your mind when you posted. Everybody has their own prefrence but I would disagree most women that are not thai are "dogs". I want to rant a bit more but I won't. Just next time think before you come out with comments like that. Maybe next time I won't be so forgiving.

What you really need to know is the ratio men:women by age group.  In the UK the birth ratio is 51% men to 49% women.  There are more women than men overall because women have a longer life expectancy so the extra .02 are all old.

Fair enough!

Here's the full lot if you didn't see in the link in the OP:

Thailand

Sex ratio:

at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female

under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female

15-64 years: 0.98 male(s)/female

65 years and over: 0.85 male(s)/female

Cheers, BaanOz

Male population probably reduces after age 15 due to motorbike accidents

And wives who find out about the Mia Noi

Agreed, look at the last Songkran statistics, I believe a majority percentage of the fatality statistics were male. On our little island, most of the road accidents and murders involve males.

And Crossy, one thing to remember, is you Western guys aren't always fit and handsome either. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ya know :o

Agreed, look at the last Songkran statistics, I believe a majority percentage of the fatality statistics were male. On our little island, most of the road accidents and murders involve males.

And Crossy, one thing to remember, is you Western guys aren't always fit and handsome either. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ya know  :D

:o:D

:o

I know but just thought this was an interesting little factoid considering how many guys on this forum complain about fat english girls:

Fat article

Since 1987 obesity has tripled in the UK

06 Feb 2004

25% of all men and 20% of all women in the UK are classified as obese in the UK (according to a new study for the Food Standards Agency).

41% of men and 33% of women are overweight (UK).

The figures come from the 2001 national diet and nutrition survey and show a startling rise in obesity rates since it was last conducted in 1987. Then, 8 per cent of women and 12 per cent of men were considered obese.

While older people are more likely to suffer from obesity, experts are concerned at the rising tide of weight problems among the younger generations. The 2001 survey shows that 18 per cent of men and 14 per cent of women aged 19 to 24 are obese.

Weight problems are classified by calculating a person's body mass index (BMI) - their weight in kilograms divided by their height in metres squared. A person with a BMI of 25 to 30 is overweight; more than 30 is classified as obese.

The survey also showed lack of awareness among people about their health and exercise levels. Participants were asked to keep a week-long diary of their physical activity.

While 70 per cent of them claimed they were fairly or very physically active, only one-third of men and a quarter of women did the recommended levels of exercise.

More than half of all the adults in the study also had above-healthy levels of cholesterol in their blood.

Treating obesity and its effects costs the National Health Service more than £500m a year.

And for people interested in Thailand statistics, this site even breaks it up by province! http://www.unescap.org/esid/psis/populatio...ailandfacts.htm

So, I can look and see that in Surat Thani, for instance, the male/female ratio is higher until they reach ages 20-24 when the men suddenly even out with the females and then by 25-29, there are less men than women.

Edited by sbk

Crossy - You still said it though. The thought must of been in your mind when you posted. Everybody has their own prefrence but I would disagree most women that are not thai are "dogs". I want to rant a bit more but I won't. Just next time think before you come out with comments like that. Maybe next time I won't be so forgiving.

no, not dogs!!

my dad likes to say "western women are big and round"

"Thai women are cute to the ground"

it rhymes in English, so it must be true

And Crossy, one thing to remember, is you Western guys aren't always fit and handsome either. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ya know  :o

People in wooden houses can though

And Crossy, one thing to remember, is you Western guys aren't always fit and handsome either. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ya know  :D

:o:D

Doc,

Can you see if you can hold of a "Eating humble pie Smilie" I think it would come in most useful. Crossy apologised with his "Sorry Smilie" but it didn't seem to work :D

And Crossy, one thing to remember, is you Western guys aren't always fit and handsome either. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ya know  :o

People in wooden houses can though

MMM... don't think so, Thailand's got an obesity problem too. How many fat kids do you see now as opposed to 10 years ago?

From the Bangkok Post:

Thailand gets fatter and fatter

About 15 million Thai children suffer from obesity, spending up to 161 billion baht a year on crunchy snacks, sweetened milk and sodas which have no nutritional value

About 15 million children in the country suffer from obesity, one of the costliest illnesses to treat, in the same league with cancer, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure, according to Privy Councillor Kasem Wattanachai, who is a medical expert on heart diseases and the circulatory system.

``Although the government's health promotion campaign is on the right track, it's impossible to accomplish the target by only encouraging people to participate in mass exercise campaigns now and then for disease prevention,'' he said.

``Policymakers have to appreciate the importance of taking a holistic approach and seriously take action at different levels in society,'' he added.

According to the latest report by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth), millions of kids at kindergarten and primary levels are overweight. Some babies have been found to be addicted to sugar and have an obesity problem since living in the womb because their mothers ate sugary food during pregnancy. The problem gets worse if they are fed sweetened milk in their early years.

A report released last week on the adverse impacts of obesity on the brain system and learning capability of school children was a rude awakening. A seven-year-old boy was taken to hospital because the fat level in his windpipe was so thick that he could not breathe or sleep at night, forcing him to depend on a respiratory machine.