American Football

ChuckZ

OMR, I looked in my June True Magazine that I get as part of the Gold Package, and didn't find any visible mention of ASN...

In the daily listings, in the sports section at the bottom of the page, they're just showing True Sports 1-4, ESPN and Star Sports....

What channel is it going to be on the digital and analog systems???

Channel 40. It started at 12:01 AM. I watched game 2 of the Red Wing/Penguins Stanley Cup final, live, this morning. In addition, no crap replays over and over of an NFL game from years ago. Instead, before, in between periods and afterwards it was the normal telecast. It was great.

I have the PVR and hence a TV guide that goes out 8 days.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMR.... I just checked the TrueVisions web site, and they've got to be CRAZY!!!!!!

I'm a Gold Package subscriber, and when I try to access Channel 40 (ASN), I get "service scrambled."

So I check the web site, for packages, and now I see ASN listed as part of the Platinum Package, but NOT the Gold Package, but then it IS listed as part of the Silver Package, which has only one other sports channel, True Sports 2 (and not ESPN, Star Sports or any of the others).

If I stay with the Gold Package, I can't get ASN.

If I downgrade to the Silver Package, I lose HBO, Star Movies, AXN, MTV, CNN, BBC News and CNBC.

Given that Gold is almost double the price of silver (1400 baht vs. 750 baht per month), and all the other sports channels except ESPN (sometimes) are crappy, it's almost tempting to downgrade. But I really would prefer not to surrender CNN and CNBC. And I'm sure as he-l not going to give them 2000+ a month for Platinum.

Why they would choose to include ASN in Platinum, omit it from Gold, and then include it in their Silver package makes NO SENSE.

I just dropped the following note to TrueVisions:

I am very pleased with your addition of the 'AXN Beyond' and 'ASN' channels! I don't know if this was partially due to my requests; but that is not important. What is important is that you have improved the entertainment options for your viewers!

THANK YOU!

I am curious about the plans for ASN content. Will you be moving your American football (NFL) games to that channel? More importantly, are you working to increase the number of games that you will be bringing to us when the season begins, 101 days from today? I strongly hope that you will do so. I, and my friends, would very much like to see more games this year than you were able to give us last year.

As I suggested previously, you could contact the NFL, and try to negotiate a package that would allow you to broadcast not only 'live' games, but replays of ALL of the games, using their subscription service. At this time, I believe that service is only available to individuals. But I'm sure that both Truevisions and the NFL could benefit from a deal to allow you to access and broadcast the games and other programs available on thier "NFL Game Pass" satellite subscription service. I think it is at least worth you effort to try to discuss it with them. If that can't be worked out, you could discuss the possiblity of getting the NFL news show "Total Access", during the season.

Thanks again for giving us 'AXN Beyond' and 'ASN'. Now ... how about Fox Crime? ... Some people are never satisfied. :-)

OMR.... I just checked the TrueVisions web site, and they've got to be CRAZY!!!!!!

I'm a Gold Package subscriber, and when I try to access Channel 40 (ASN), I get "service scrambled."

So I check the web site, for packages, and now I see ASN listed as part of the Platinum Package, but NOT the Gold Package, but then it IS listed as part of the Silver Package, which has only one other sports channel, True Sports 2 (and not ESPN, Star Sports or any of the others).

If I stay with the Gold Package, I can't get ASN.

If I downgrade to the Silver Package, I lose HBO, Star Movies, AXN, MTV, CNN, BBC News and CNBC.

Given that Gold is almost double the price of silver (1400 baht vs. 750 baht per month), and all the other sports channels except ESPN (sometimes) are crappy, it's almost tempting to downgrade. But I really would prefer not to surrender CNN and CNBC. And I'm sure as he-l not going to give them 2000+ a month for Platinum.

Why they would choose to include ASN in Platinum, omit it from Gold, and then include it in their Silver package makes NO SENSE.

It doesn't make any sense to me either unless it is their plan to get people to subscribe to platinum. We do, as the wife likes some channels, me others and the kid still others. Sooner or later, I suspect they will change the combinations with the changing of the programs. For example, right now we pay extra for the Disney Channel, but Nickelodeon (similar) was one of the new platinum channels added.

As I suggested previously, you could contact the NFL, and try to negotiate a package that would allow you to broadcast not only 'live' games, but replays of ALL of the games, using their subscription service. At this time, I believe that service is only available to individuals. But I'm sure that both Truevisions and the NFL could benefit from a deal to allow you to access and broadcast the games and other programs available on thier "NFL Game Pass" satellite subscription service. I think it is at least worth you effort to try to discuss it with them. If that can't be worked out, you could discuss the possiblity of getting the NFL news show "Total Access", during the season.

Patsfangr, right now it looks like ASN is going to provide me what I want in sports as long as we still get baseball, basketball, boxing, tennis and golf on the other channels. From what ASN's website says, during the NFL season we will get 50 hours of NFL programming a week, including up to 4 live games, Game Day and NFL Total Access. In addition, 10 hours per week of NHL, including two live games a week and NHL On The Fly: Final. All this plus collegiate sports (football, basketball etc.) sounds great to me.

Patsfangr, right now it looks like ASN is going to provide me what I want in sports as long as we still get baseball, basketball, boxing, tennis and golf on the other channels. From what ASN's website says, during the NFL season we will get 50 hours of NFL programming a week, including up to 4 live games, Game Day and NFL Total Access. In addition, 10 hours per week of NHL, including two live games a week and NHL On The Fly: Final. All this plus collegiate sports (football, basketball etc.) sounds great to me.

WOW! I didn't even think to check the website. DUH!

That is FANTASTIC! Getting 'Game Day' and 'Total Access' is a HUGE improvement in coverage for an NFL nut. I'm certain that they must have some sort of deal that does just what I suggested - a "broadcaster" version of the "Game Pass" package for individual subscribers. Both "Game Day" and "Total Access" (from NFL Network) are available on that service.

Personally, I'll still be putting out the $$$ to subscribe to "Game Pass", because, as you may have noticed, I'm a fairly enthusiastic fan of the New England Patriots; and I'm willing to pay to see all of their games, in addition to the games that TrueV will bring to us. And, of course, there are also other games during the year, involving Patriots' competition, and important to the league standings, that are of interest me. We won't always get the games we want most from the TrueV package. And the "Game Pass" package also has on-demand replay of any game you want. I'm still happy to pay the $230 fee for all that.

Gonna go check the website now to read all those details for myself.

I AM A VERY HAPPY FAN RIGHT NOW!

WOW! I didn't even think to check the website. DUH!

That is FANTASTIC! Getting 'Game Day' and 'Total Access' is a HUGE improvement in coverage for an NFL nut. I'm certain that they must have some sort of deal that does just what I suggested - a "broadcaster" version of the "Game Pass" package for individual subscribers. Both "Game Day" and "Total Access" (from NFL Network) are available on that service.

Personally, I'll still be putting out the $$$ to subscribe to "Game Pass", because, as you may have noticed, I'm a fairly enthusiastic fan of the New England Patriots; and I'm willing to pay to see all of their games, in addition to the games that TrueV will bring to us. And, of course, there are also other games during the year, involving Patriots' competition, and important to the league standings, that are of interest me. We won't always get the games we want most from the TrueV package. And the "Game Pass" package also has on-demand replay of any game you want. I'm still happy to pay the $230 fee for all that.

Gonna go check the website now to read all those details for myself.

I AM A VERY HAPPY FAN RIGHT NOW!

http://www.asn.tv/eng/about.html

• 2 weeks later...

Quantum physics in a single sentence. "Anything that can happen will happen, if not here then in another universe." Do you realize what this means? Somewhere out there, the Indianapolis Colts drafted Ryan Leaf.

Quantum physics in a single sentence. "Anything that can happen will happen, if not here then in another universe." Do you realize what this means? Somewhere out there, the Indianapolis Colts drafted Ryan Leaf.

That would be the same universe where Al Davis never owned the Raidahs; Schramm and Landry still run the Cowboys; all athletes left their gang banging "homies" behind when they entered pro sports; OJ was executed for his murders; Mike Vick became a veteranarian; Eric Mangini never wins a game as a HC; and, of course, Barack Obama LOST the election!

Hi everyone,

Had 12 people sign up for the first league and I had a number PM's with requests for more leagues to Join.

I have setup 4 new Leagues... Leagues are 12 Teams and 3 Divisions with a 4 week Playoff period.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHIANG MAI ELITE I ( Draft Date is 06 JUL at 10:00am EST - 21:00 THAI )

12 Teams

3 Divisions

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=61924

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHIANG MAI ELITE II ( Draft Date is 12 JUL at 10:00am EST - 21:00 THAI )

12 Teams

3 Divisions

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=60811

CHIANG MAI ELITE III ( Draft Date is 19 JUL at 10:00am EST - 21:00 THAI )

12 Teams

3 Divisions

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=46442

CHIANG MAI ELITE IV ( Draft Date is 26 JUL at 10:00am EST - 21:00 THAI )

12 Teams

3 Divisions

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=46442

When all Leagues are full... we will discuss any changes to league rules or scoring systems before season starts.

Send me a PM with your email if you would like to join the League

--A

That would be the same universe where Al Davis never owned the Raidahs; Schramm and Landry still run the Cowboys; all athletes left their gang banging "homies" behind when they entered pro sports; OJ was executed for his murders; Mike Vick became a veteranarian; Eric Mangini never wins a game as a HC; and, of course, Barack Obama LOST the election!

hmmmm.........then somewhere "out there" the Raiders won the Superbowl? RAIDERS WON THE SUPERBOWL! That's some kinda wacky you got going there Calico.

HOORAY PURPLE AND GOLD at least that's this universe.......

ASN starts at midnight tonight. Nothing live that I can see this week, although there will be replays of the AFC and NFC Championship games.

Watched ASN for the first time last night. Saw the Chargers at Pittsburgh divisional playoff game from last season. Great game until the third quarter when the Chargers ran ONE OFFENSIVE PLAY. I couldn't believe that, never seen that before. Their defense was toast after that, game over.

The channel seems cool except for their logo ad, very annoying. What is that anyway, a volleyball changing to a football changing to some metallic object which then changes shape and spins around? They need to fire that graphic person and quit running that. I think I saw it at least 30 times during the game.

ASN starts at midnight tonight. Nothing live that I can see this week, although there will be replays of the AFC and NFC Championship games.

Watched ASN for the first time last night. Saw the Chargers at Pittsburgh divisional playoff game from last season. Great game until the third quarter when the Chargers ran ONE OFFENSIVE PLAY. I couldn't believe that, never seen that before. Their defense was toast after that, game over.

The channel seems cool except for their logo ad, very annoying. What is that anyway, a volleyball changing to a football changing to some metallic object which then changes shape and spins around? They need to fire that graphic person and quit running that. I think I saw it at least 30 times during the game.

While I am getting tired of hearing about the Big 10 and how this guy's grandpa played basketball in the Big 10, when football season starts and I watch the 4 live games a week, I will forget all about their logo and stupid Big 10 advertisements. Especially if they feature Cowboy games and especially if I don't have to sit through Eagle games (your Raiders are OK).

I called True UBC the other day and placed the order to downgrade from Gold to Silver. Told them I was doing it because they had added ASN to the Silver and Platinum packages, but not to Gold. Of course, no movement on that subject.

They told me they couldn't downgrade my service in the middle of the month, and that the new Silver service will start July 1... one week away... Basketball on ESPN is finished... Waiting for NFL football on ASN... YAAAAAA!!!!!!

May take the savings from the subscription downgrade and use it to buy a faster Internet package than the 2 MB service I have now.

While I am getting tired of hearing about the Big 10 and how this guy's grandpa played basketball in the Big 10, when football season starts and I watch the 4 live games a week, I will forget all about their logo and stupid Big 10 advertisements. Especially if they feature Cowboy games and especially if I don't have to sit through Eagle games (your Raiders are OK).

Not to worry, OMR, if Jerry Jones sees this succeeding, he'll likely sue to keep exclusive rights to the Cowboys' games, and put them on his own international network! That's the way he sees and does things. It's all about Jerry Jones; and to hel_l with the league. Here, have a Pepsi!

Not to worry, OMR, if Jerry Jones sees this succeeding, he'll likely sue to keep exclusive rights to the Cowboys' games, and put them on his own international network! That's the way he sees and does things. It's all about Jerry Jones; and to hel_l with the league. Here, have a Pepsi!

Patsfangr, you are getting all self righteous when you have the QB that gets women pregnant and then dumps them when the next skirt comes along.

Patsfangr, you are getting all self righteous when you have the QB that gets women pregnant and then dumps them when the next skirt comes along.

OUCH !!!

It gets tough when you're a great looking guy and lotsa skirt are after you, I have that problem myself, maybe not to the supermodel status of Tom Brady, but it's Thailand and you know for sure I'm a "handsome man"......

BTW- are you sure you wanna bag on Brady's ladies, when Jessica Simpson is now 50 kilos over? Glass houses anyone? Did the roof just cave in?

GO RAIDERS (over under on next Raider and jailtime is 3 weeks)

OUCH !!!

It gets tough when you're a great looking guy and lotsa skirt are after you, I have that problem myself, maybe not to the supermodel status of Tom Brady, but it's Thailand and you know for sure I'm a "handsome man"......

BTW- are you sure you wanna bag on Brady's ladies, when Jessica Simpson is now 50 kilos over? Glass houses anyone? Did the roof just cave in?

GO RAIDERS (over under on next Raider and jailtime is 3 weeks)

I find Brady's actions appalling, irresponsible and indefensible and unless I missed it, Romo has never stooped this low. Brady is a fabulous football player, but hardly the role model people once thought he was.

I take it you're not a huge Evander Holyfield fan....

That's different. He doesn't play for the Patriots. :)

Ahhhhhh, o.k. so it's just chipping at 'ol patsfangr than it is you really expecting a pro athlete to live up to some sort of predetemined ethnocentric morality.

Michael Irvin in a hotel room with crack and hookers certainly was one heck of a role model........if you like crack and hookers.....

Ahhhhhh, o.k. so it's just chipping at 'ol patsfangr than it is you really expecting a pro athlete to live up to some sort of predetemined ethnocentric morality.

Michael Irvin in a hotel room with crack and hookers certainly was one heck of a role model........if you like crack and hookers.....

Well, Patsfangr started when he expected owners to live up to God like standards. As for Irvin, he caught many passes, on field and off field AND he never lowered himself to where he wore a Pats uniform. Truly, one of my heroes.

Well, Patsfangr started when he expected owners to live up to God like standards. As for Irvin, he caught many passes, on field and off field AND he never lowered himself to where he wore a Pats uniform. Truly, one of my heroes.

O.K., well, whatever.............maybe lets get back on topic and talk football.

I didn't ever get to see the "Wildcat" formation last year and now everybody is talking it up. Can someone describe that for me? Is it the shotgun with both backs alongside the QB in sort of a triple option? Hike it to one of the three? Is this going to be a short term gimmick or is it here to stay?

I didn't ever get to see the "Wildcat" formation last year and now everybody is talking it up. Can someone describe that for me? Is it the shotgun with both backs alongside the QB in sort of a triple option? Hike it to one of the three? Is this going to be a short term gimmick or is it here to stay?

The "Wildcat" is here to stay. We'll see it even more this coming season now that teams have had the offseason to experiment with it themselves. The Dolphins used this extensively, which made defenses spend time preparing for it each week.

The Wildcat formation puts the running back in as the quarterback directly behind center in the shotgun formation. There is usually another running back in motion and sometimes a third running back in the backfield. The quarterback typically lines up wide as a wide receiver but I think we'll see more instances of the quarterback coming off the field for the play and substituting another receiver or back. This formation gives the running back a better opportunity to survey the field standing up directly behind center and then has the option to run it, hand it off to the other running back, or throw the ball. It's a big part of the college offense but still fairly new to the NFL.

The 'Wildcat' isn't really "revolutionary". It's more or less a "modernized" single wing; or a "running Shotgun". Teams have running plays out of the Shotgun, but it's primarily a passing formation, because the guy who gets the snap (most of the time) is the QB. In the Wildcat, the guy who gets the snap is a RB.

Once NFL defenses got a chance to prepare for it, it was far less successful. For example, when the Dolphins sprung it as a total surprise on the Patriots in September, the 'Phins ran for 216 yards, Ronnie Brown ran for 4 TDs, and threw for one. Final score, Miami 38, NE 13. When they met again in November, the 'Phins got a total of 62 yards rushing, as the Pats totally shut down the 'Wildcat'. Their only rushing TD was a scramble by Pennington off a pass play. Final score, NE 48, Miami 28.

The "surprise" factor is gone from the formation now. It will still be useful as a changeup. But DCs will know which opponents have it in their playbooks; and it won't have much more success than any other formation. Great RBs will still make great plays, as they will from any formation. But it won't be specifically because of the 'Wildcat'. I don't think you'll see it much from teams that want the ball in the hands of their QB (Patriots, Colts, Saints, others with outstanding QBs). Those teams can add "motion" to their Shotgun formation, and achieve pretty much the same number of options, except for the running of the guy getting the snap. (The Patriots have had a lot of success with a direct snap to the RB, usually Faulk, in the Shotgun.)

OCs like it because it adds to the preparation workload of opposing DCs.

I like it, because it adds variety to the game; just as the 'Shotgun', and the 4 & 5 WR formations did. The more variety, the more excitement for all of us.

1. Many viewers miss the option to watch FOX NEWS CHANNEL. I have to use my computer to access this news programming. Please add FOX NEWS CHANNEL to your lineup!

ha, you requested Fox News? do you really need a news channel to tell you that Obama sucks and he's the same tool as the President before?

This year, with the Cowboys, any formation is possible. Their game breaker is now wearing a Bills uniform leaving Garrett to come up with something that might work, given this year their only game breaking threat at wide receiver is a former undrafted college QB from Monmouth (Austin).

Now, Garret is toying with the possibility of putting Barber and Jones (Felix) in the same backfield. Next, it could be the wildcat. It is going to be interesting.