Lifan Gy200 A5

Jonny B

I think you made the right choice with black. It looks a nice bike. Hope it runs as good as it looks. If it does, you are on to a winner. Didn't you just buy a Lifan 250 roadster thingy?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how anybody could dare to buy Chinese quality!

Why, those 21 and 18" tires aren't even big enough to fit up under the mud guards.

(PS My Custom V250 continues without problems, so long as you put enough fuel in it. Been drinking 32k/l in the city.)

Well PaulD, we are the brave pioneers of Lifan products in CM.

Glad to hear yours is doing fine, they have a maroon 250 cruiser there today too. looks pretty good. You have to put fuel in that one too :D

Congratulations with your new motorcycle, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it. How much did you in the end pay including insurance, greenbook, etc..etc...

Glad to hear yours is doing fine, they have a maroon 250 cruiser there today too. looks pretty good. You have to put fuel in that one too :D

Congratulations with your new motorcycle, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it. How much did you in the end pay including insurance, greenbook, etc..etc...

46,000baht; or less than 1/3 of a D-tracker/ KLX /Ninja, and less than half a CBR 250 B)

46,000baht; or less than 1/3 of a D-tracker/ KLX /Ninja, and less than half a CBR 250 B)

One thing you can be sure, the Kawasaki KLX250 cost maybe 3 times more, but isn't 3 times more fun to ride. It's almost unbelievable you can buy a 200cc motorcycle like the LF200GY, including 2 year warranty, for just 46,000 Bht including everything...

Well I got about 40 km's on it since I got it home, probably I will do a lot more riding tomorrow. The tank took 400 baht worth of gasohol 95. obviously when they said they gave me 100 baht worth they were telling a fib.

I got no complaints what so ever though, in fact I am quite chuffed. Of course I have to unlearn the shifting pattern of my last bike.

this one has neutral at the top and up-shifting is all downs. I have made a few embarrassing downshifts when I was trying to go faster :lol:

Here are a couple of pics of the engine and one profile. Not great pics, but I need to find a nice location

Also I would love to try it off road, but I don't know any nearby spots by Chiang Mai.

front-3-quarter-2sm.jpg

engine-sm.jpg

engine-right-sm.jpg

It was nice that PaulD showed up to see me get my new wheels. We are now the Lifan fan club I guess.

Anyone know what Honda model this is a copy of?

I must admit I find it hard to get excited about blatant copies that Chinese manufacturers seem to love so much. But I heave meanwhile heard that Lifan engines (Honda copies) have a good reputation.

To all the owners, enjoy, and may you be just as happy about your purchases this time next year - if I hear only positives then I'll believe the miracle. If not - oh, well, there we go again... ;)

Miracle? Perhaps - now. Or perhaps less, if one has studied Lifan's bikes and their histories so far, as compared to bad rep and unknown "Chinese" bikes.

Sooner or later, however, an inevitably.

But whether it is here and now, or further down the timeline, we'll be seeing Japan or Korea's successes beaten, exponentially.

Plus, meanwhile, we don't need theft insurance.:whistling:

I must admit I find it hard to get excited about blatant copies that Chinese manufacturers seem to love so much. But I heave meanwhile heard that Lifan engines (Honda copies) have a good reputation.

To all the owners, enjoy, and may you be just as happy about your purchases this time next year - if I hear only positives then I'll believe the miracle. If not - oh, well, there we go again... ;)

It's hard to say who copies who in the automotive industry, but most people will agree that most Japanese manufacturers copied technology from MZ – proven in court. MZ in its old form is finished and the patents they once had are sold to finance a new modest start of the once famous MZ.

Right about the time that MZ sold some of its patents, Lifan signed a cross technology agreement with Yamaha, similar to what MZ once had, some people speculated that Lifan is now the owner of the MZ patents. It will also explain why Lifan has started to manufacture some Yamaha motorcycles under its own name.

If Lifan is the owner of the MZ patents, then the question is who is copying who....

Stuff like this can be mind boggling... So if Honda used technology to produce one of the earlier motorcycle engines, with the help of technology they illegally used from a East German company, and the current owner of the technology that Honda illegally used - copies a few generation later a Honda engine...

From what I have seen on the web, it is a Honda XR 200 copy and many parts are interchangeable.

For less than the price of a 250 Ninja, Canuckamuck has a 250 cruiser and a 200 trail bike. That sounds good to me. Two bikes for the price of one and suitable for various terrains. :D

I repeat myself, but I think you definitely made the right choice with black.

Edited by GarryP

For less than the price of a 250 Ninja, Canuckamuck has a 250 cruiser and a 200 trail bike. That sounds good to me. Two bikes for the price of one and suitable for various terrains. :D

the cost of the 200 crosser is the same as your loss in value in 1st year buying a d=tracker. Cant go wrong.:)

Garry I didn't get the cruiser, PaulD did, but I was a heartbeat away from buying it but I decided to wait and see the enduro.

Since I didn't get the D-tracker or Ninja either I have 100,000 baht left over for accessories.

Just thought I would update, I haven't had much spare time but I did manage to put 140 km's on the bike. I finally got it off road, and I enjoyed that quite a bit. I had an enduro when I was in High School and I practically lived on it, so it brings back some good memories from more than 20 years ago.

The bike is performing quite well, I am 'trying' not to push it too hard for the first 1000k but I have a suspicion that with my weight, 90kg, that the bike won't do more than 115kmh, but I could be wrong. It gets to 100 real fast though, I think maybe better off the line than my old CBR 150.

The bike is also kinda loud, but in a good way. Everyone takes notice when you turn it over. It has a good sized down pipe for a 200 and I don't think there is much restriction in the muffler. But the bike is quite farty (pop pop pop) when you let go of the gas and let the engine slow you down. I don't know if that means anything. It definitely sounds like a bigger bike than it is.

The suspension is stiff but is seems to have relaxed a little, or maybe I am getting used to it. I got a little air time today and I ran it over some rough terrain. I need to find good place to test it out some more.

I took it in and had the signal alarm turned down, it sounded like a reversing alarm on a big truck, and it was a bit weird when your in a group of bikes waiting at a light, and your bike is going beep beep beep.

Anyhow I am having a great time and I am really pleased so far. :D

I'm not interested in a motocross bike per se, but am I correct that a motard-style bike is a motocross bike with street tires?

If so, and nice wide road tires are available, then voila!, instant 200cc motard for under 50k! That I am interested in. Great for the less than perfect roads around town with the long suspension travel. :)

Please keep us up to date with your impressions.

I'm not interested in a motocross bike per se, but am I correct that a motard-style bike is a motocross bike with street tires?

If so, and nice wide road tires are available, then voila!, instant 200cc motard for under 50k! That I am interested in. Great for the less than perfect roads around town with the long suspension travel. :)

"Motard-style bike" in this case is street legal with knobby tyres, as seen in the photos. Maybe that's what they mean by calling it plain "Cross." As I was at the dealer when my fellow Lifan driver (in town) picked it up, I can testify to the sound, gratifying for a single, not at all the cat-purr many bikes hum. Had not heard his turn-signal noise, but mine too needs stifling.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't put street tires on this bike, but it comes with moderate knobby tires, and it is doing fine on the street. Don't know how long they last though.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't put street tires on this bike, but it comes with moderate knobby tires, and it is doing fine on the street. Don't know how long they last though.

I think on the motard bikes, you have a smaller front wheel as well. No biggie if they are available to fit.

Being Canadian, as are you, I know that any tire with big lugs (knobby) negatively affects ride comfort, fuel efficiency and road noise. Still think you could do it for only a bit more than 50k. :)

Also note there is no skid plate on your bike. I would look into that.

I think you may have traction issues with knobblies when the road surface is wet. I understand that many riders of trail bikes have two sets of wheels, one set with knobblies and another set with road tires, which they switch and swap as needed.

I think you may have traction issues with knobblies when the road surface is wet. I understand that many riders of trail bikes have two sets of wheels, one set with knobblies and another set with road tires, which they switch and swap as needed.

You are probably right, I might think about a rainy season set. I wonder what is available for a 21 inch front?

You are probably right, I might think about a rainy season set. I wonder what is available for a 21 inch front?

You've missed the point of the last 3 or 4 posts. :D

Two sets of wheels. One set you've already got.

The other set with street tires. Motard front wheels are 17" if I'm not mistaken. Back wheel same as now.

Lifan has a 250 motard that has set foot in the LOS. Maybe Richard can fill us in on the latest.

2_lifan_lf250gy-7-02-1.jpg

Lifan has a 250 motard that has set foot in the LOS. Maybe Richard can fill us in on the latest.

2_lifan_lf250gy-7-02-1.jpg

Yep, it's a warehouse I know very well and the Lifan LF250GY-7 did not so long ago passed emission testing. I'm absolute not involved with Lifan Thailand, but if I look back... I will estimate that in 3 to 4 months the 250cc will come available (as I'm known to calculate often to positive you maybe want to add a month or two).

Price will roughly be twice the price of the LF200GY-5, maybe even a bit less... The major price difference is in the 3rd party parts used, for example the Up-side-down FOX suspension fully adjustable front and rear (I was told that the suspension supplier can change, as talks are in full swing – so maybe it becomes Showa), liquid-cooling, real tires...

Anyway its amazing that the picture is already nearly10 months old, hardly touched it...

You've missed the point of the last 3 or 4 posts. :D

Two sets of wheels. One set you've already got.

The other set with street tires. Motard front wheels are 17" if I'm not mistaken. Back wheel same as now.

But if I put a 17" on the front won't that affect the angle of the bike, would it be awkward to drive?

I agree that a different set of rims ad tires would be the best way to go.

But if I put a 17" on the front won't that affect the angle of the bike, would it be awkward to drive?

My thoughts exactly, but then I have been told many times that I know nothing. :D

Well, I waited to see if anyone with experience would answer but will throw in my 2 satang...

Look at the pictures above of the 250 Lifan motard...

Do you think they and all the other brands offering motard-syle bikes would do so if if it screwed up the handling? Common sense will give you the answer to your question.