Lifan Gy200 A5

Jonny B

Since the issue of the manufacturer has been raised, let me add a note about my 250B Lifan.

First, I know Lifan is not a household name and that it is a Chinese company. But it is important before saying "Chinese" in that tone that means "cheap and unreliable" that China, mostly, builds the word's "name" computers. Lifan built for Yamaha, and apparently had transferred some patent rights from the Yamaha 250.

Second, Lifan is a huge concern, an engine building champion, that has entered Western markets for some time. Rather than complaints about their bikes' quality, one usually reads in reviews complaints about the lack of speed of some bikes - which might or might not be related to that nation's strict speed laws (100). My own bike is built to improve middle range performance and provide cruiser-comfort, not to race.

Anyway, my bike arrived with one (minor) problem that might have resulted from shipping, not evident early on, and quickly fixed by the dealer. It has behaved as well, so far, as one would expect of the best Japanese bikes. I insist that just as Japanese products were initially disappointing but then they came to be the mass production leaders of the world of quality vehicles, China will show growing pains followed by competitive vehicles, in terms of quality, at better prices.

Certainly, purchasing a Chinese bike is a gamble, in that we have not a large experience of these bikes in the West - or Thailand. But lumping together all Chinese products and dismissing them is nonsensical. Ever hear of Lenovo?

Good to hear. Qualitative comments from an owner.

Disagree about 100 km/h strict speed laws. 180+ on the Beijing ring roads was normal when I lived there

Hated Lenovo. We used to give them away for free as an incentive and we were hated for it.

180km/h on the Beijing ring roads, was that with a motorcycle? Or was that with a car?

Part of the Chinese Traffic Law...

------------------

Road Traffic Safety Law of the People's Republic of China (中华人民共和国道路交通安全法). This rules applies to all vehicles in China except military vehicles.

Speed limits are as follows:

- 30 km/h (19 mph) on city roads where there is only one lane per direction, 40 km/h (25 mph) on China National Highways;

- up to 70 km/h (43 mph) on city roads where there is a major road with central reservation or two yellow lines or 80 km/h (50 mph) on China National Highways;

- 100 km/h (62 mph) on city express roads;

- 120 km/h (75 mph) on expressways.

------------------

Motorcycles are not allowed in major expressways, therefore the 100km/h, therefor the maximum speed for motorcycles is 100km/h. On city express road, a motorcycle is allowed 100km/h but may not carry passengers

Edited by Richard-BKK

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the issue of the manufacturer has been raised, let me add a note about my 250B Lifan.

First, I know Lifan is not a household name and that it is a Chinese company. But it is important before saying "Chinese" in that tone that means "cheap and unreliable" that China, mostly, builds the word's "name" computers. Lifan built for Yamaha, and apparently had transferred some patent rights from the Yamaha 250.

Second, Lifan is a huge concern, an engine building champion, that has entered Western markets for some time. Rather than complaints about their bikes' quality, one usually reads in reviews complaints about the lack of speed of some bikes - which might or might not be related to that nation's strict speed laws (100). My own bike is built to improve middle range performance and provide cruiser-comfort, not to race.

Anyway, my bike arrived with one (minor) problem that might have resulted from shipping, not evident early on, and quickly fixed by the dealer. It has behaved as well, so far, as one would expect of the best Japanese bikes. I insist that just as Japanese products were initially disappointing but then they came to be the mass production leaders of the world of quality vehicles, China will show growing pains followed by competitive vehicles, in terms of quality, at better prices.

Certainly, purchasing a Chinese bike is a gamble, in that we have not a large experience of these bikes in the West - or Thailand. But lumping together all Chinese products and dismissing them is nonsensical. Ever hear of Lenovo?

Good to hear. Qualitative comments from an owner.

Disagree about 100 km/h strict speed laws. 180+ on the Beijing ring roads was normal when I lived there

Hated Lenovo. We used to give them away for free as an incentive and we were hated for it.

180km/h on the Beijing ring roads, was that with a motorcycle? Or was that with a car?

Part of the Chinese Traffic Law...

------------------

Road Traffic Safety Law of the People's Republic of China (中华人民共和国道路交通安全法). This rules applies to all vehicles in China except military vehicles.

Speed limits are as follows:

- 30 km/h (19 mph) on city roads where there is only one lane per direction, 40 km/h (25 mph) on China National Highways;

- up to 70 km/h (43 mph) on city roads where there is a major road with central reservation or two yellow lines or 80 km/h (50 mph) on China National Highways;

- 100 km/h (62 mph) on city express roads;

- 120 km/h (75 mph) on expressways.

------------------

Motorcycles are not allowed in major expressways, therefore the 100km/h, therefor the maximum speed for motorcycles is 100km/h. On city express road, a motorcycle is allowed 100km/h but may not carry passengers

Thats nice Richard but have you never heard of people breaking the law? Have you ever exceeded the speed limit deliberately or unintentionally? I have but not personally in China

but might have exceeded 200km/hr elsewhere.That is my business.

There are (or were) many Chineses who used the "breakdown lane" with motorcycles. OMG lawbreakers.

A car used to pick me up at the airport. Passat if you are interested. Black in colour. They are built in China and not speed limited. Neither are the motorcycles.

They are not speed limited in Japan either. Check the laws for there too.

We used to do unbelievable speeds and stunts just through the car park. When we hit the ring roads / expressways it was everybody for themselves.

But if you remember 2003 I think it was, they had a 48 hour traffic jam on one of them. How does that fit?

Anyway you are directing us off the topic to satisfy your desire to flaunt your ability to google.

Raylo,

It does not matter to me one way or another as PaulD was saying that his v. comfortable but not speedy.

But are you certain that motorbikes and motorcycles are not restricted there? I seem to recall from sources other than RichardBKK that in China, some bikes were?

Anyway, it does not pertain to the Gy200 A5. Issue there will be quality of build, durability, and handling. I've read enough to trust the Lifan brand somewhat, as much as Taiwanese bikes of international reputation, but I agree that more information must be gathered.

But I am surprised to have my memory challenged on the point that Chinese bikes are not restricted. On the other hand, my memory....;)

Raylo,

It does not matter to me one way or another as PaulD was saying that his v. comfortable but not speedy.

But are you certain that motorbikes and motorcycles are not restricted there? I seem to recall from sources other than RichardBKK that in China, some bikes were?

Anyway, it does not pertain to the Gy200 A5. Issue there will be quality of build, durability, and handling. I've read enough to trust the Lifan brand somewhat, as much as Taiwanese bikes of international reputation, but I agree that more information must be gathered.

But I am surprised to have my memory challenged on the point that Chinese bikes are not restricted. On the other hand, my memory....;)

Hey CMX

My memory is no different to yours. I just cannot remember a single instance of bikes being restricted there even though they do exist.

Does not mean much as you said. I know there is a Chinese mass produced motorbike that has been sold restricted in certain countries

to satisfy the first rider law.

Richard just googled the law and what speed limits pertain to vehicles not whether they are physically restricted in some way.

More than one time coming back from the airport we were overtaken by a Merc. I can never remember an issue going to the airport. Maybe

everyone was just happy to be home.

Richard has probably never pedaled his BMX fast enough thats why he finds such speeds unbelievable and is arguing as a point of law

not physical actuality.

Going back about 12 years, the Marriott limo from Don Muang used to cruise at 160km on the expressway.

Unbelievable.

There's a guy that comes in my restaurant in Chiang Mai that has just bought one of these for 46,000 bht.

We do probably more adventure riding in Thailand and Laos than anyone here, all through rainy season as well & i must admit for the money with its 2 year guarantee its something to think about, i never thought i'd say this.

The riding position and wheelbase look good, as someone else mentioned Isaan tuk tuk get good milage out of Lifan engines.

we're looking to buy some Chinese registered bikes in China to keep in kunming, Kunming, China as its just an hour's direct flight from Chiang Mai, that way we can ride in China semi-legally, so the Lifans are something we're considering.

7 Lifans = 1 Kawasaki versys!

As we are visiting Chachoensao in a week or so I ask the dealer in Chonburi if they had any of the 200's in stock. At first they denied all knowledge of the bike! :huh:

Then said they had none in stock.

Asking the price I was met with 40, maybe 50 k bht.

Hardly confidence inspiring but sadly the norm in my experience of dealerships over here.

Does anyone know where I can view the Lifan 200 GY in Bangkok? Failing that I am in Chiang at the end of February and will hopefully be able to check one out there.

I sent you a PM with shop info from Chiang Mai

Edited by RidersCnx

• 9 months later...

I thought I would update a little more about my Lifan 200 cross which I bought a litlle more than a year ago.

A continuing concern I have had about the bike was the fact that the front brake disk was not at a precise right angle to the calipers. It wasn't out much, but you could see it and the brakes wore in accordingly.

I took it to the shop about 5 times over the last year about this issue, each time they told me there was nothing wrong. In my mind I began to believe that the calipers were fautly and mounted crooked. I intended to go by a new set of calipers at some point when I needed new front pads. About 2 months ago a noise developed which I thought was the brakes. It was a grinding sort of sound that came and went and particularly when I was just coming to a stop. I took it to the shop and they once again said there was nothing wrong. I even took it another local shop but because I told them it was the brakes, they also said there was nothing wrong.

I am not a mechanic, and I did not suspect what the problem reall was.

Well about 2 weeks ago up in the mountains my front wheel seized while I was going downhill on a highway. My bike dove down for a split second, and then whatever grabbed, released and I managed not to crash. It turns out that one of my bearings had been colapsed the whole time and the constant pressure on the good bearing finally forced it to seize.

Not only where both bearings totally gone, but also the chamber in which the bearing seats was ripped up as well. Here is a picture

bearing.jpg

I took the wheel back to Lifan with a bag full of shredded metal and told them I wanted a new wheel. They looked at the shredded wheel and told me straight up that there was nothing wrong; they could just stuff 2 new bearings in there and everything would be fine.

I blew up at this point, but there was no point to it, as the boss wasn't there.

Anyhow since I no longer live in Chiang Mai, I couldn't wait around to get it settled so I demanded they sell me a new wheel and I left there with a strong distaste for Lifan support and service.

From my experience, I can longer suggest Lifan as a good choice for motorcycles. My next ride will almost certainly be Japanese.

Well I guess that is what most people said all along. Good job you were not hurt.

Worth remembering that cheap Chinese bikes are not only rubbish but potentially dangerous. A catastrophic mechanical failure after just one year which could have killed you in different circumstances. Add that to the careless attitude of their service staff and it's obvious that they are a complete waste of money and should be completely avoided for almost every possible reason.

Edited by madjbs
  • Like 1

I thought I would update a little more about my Lifan 200 cross which I bought a litlle more than a year ago.

A continuing concern I have had about the bike was the fact that the front brake disk was not at a precise right angle to the calipers. It wasn't out much, but you could see it and the brakes wore in accordingly.

I took it to the shop about 5 times over the last year about this issue, each time they told me there was nothing wrong. In my mind I began to believe that the calipers were fautly and mounted crooked. I intended to go by a new set of calipers at some point when I needed new front pads. About 2 months ago a noise developed which I thought was the brakes. It was a grinding sort of sound that came and went and particularly when I was just coming to a stop. I took it to the shop and they once again said there was nothing wrong. I even took it another local shop but because I told them it was the brakes, they also said there was nothing wrong.

I am not a mechanic, and I did not suspect what the problem reall was.

Well about 2 weeks ago up in the mountains my front wheel seized while I was going downhill on a highway. My bike dove down for a split second, and then whatever grabbed, released and I managed not to crash. It turns out that one of my bearings had been colapsed the whole time and the constant pressure on the good bearing finally forced it to seize.

Not only where both bearings totally gone, but also the chamber in which the bearing seats was ripped up as well. Here is a picture

bearing.jpg

I took the wheel back to Lifan with a bag full of shredded metal and told them I wanted a new wheel. They looked at the shredded wheel and told me straight up that there was nothing wrong; they could just stuff 2 new bearings in there and everything would be fine.

I blew up at this point, but there was no point to it, as the boss wasn't there.

Anyhow since I no longer live in Chiang Mai, I couldn't wait around to get it settled so I demanded they sell me a new wheel and I left there with a strong distaste for Lifan support and service.

From my experience, I can longer suggest Lifan as a good choice for motorcycles. My next ride will almost certainly be Japanese.

i had a tiger 250cc once and going over the rama bridge once the front fender mounting snapped and the fender bouncing up and down

that was the first of many problems and i was glad to get rid of the thing

china is ok for cheap consumer goods on ebay etc but you dont want low grade cheap parts on a motorcycle where your life wil be at risk when they fail

Wow, that bearing looks terrible. Lucky you, you didn't crash. I would be pissed of too.

Fact is, that cheap bikes have more of these breakdowns and security issues than quality bikes. So it would be a good thing, if the service centers would take special care if a customer complains something (e.g. noise from front wheel or crooked mounted brakes). But they don't. I hate these answers "Its everything OK. No problem. Don't worry.".

I once had a similar breakdown with a brand new Shimano bearing on one of my bicycles. Things like this happen. But a good service should have taken care of your worriedness and should have taken a closer look at the cause of the noise.

But i am sad to say that my Yamaha dealer (where i took my Nouvo for service) is a mess too. I don't want to write details (as i am no native english its too difficult), but i will never go there again, as the "quality" of repairs is unacceptable. But where else can i go than? Maybe i look for a service center (repair shop) that is managed by a farang.

Wow, that bearing looks terrible. Lucky you, you didn't crash. I would be pissed of too.

Fact is, that cheap bikes have more of these breakdowns and security issues than quality bikes. So it would be a good thing, if the service centers would take special care if a customer complains something (e.g. noise from front wheel or crooked mounted brakes). But they don't. I hate these answers "Its everything OK. No problem. Don't worry.".

I once had a similar breakdown with a brand new Shimano bearing on one of my bicycles. Things like this happen. But a good service should have taken care of your worriedness and should have taken a closer look at the cause of the noise.

But i am sad to say that my Yamaha dealer (where i took my Nouvo for service) is a mess too. I don't want to write details (as i am no native english its too difficult), but i will never go there again, as the "quality" of repairs is unacceptable. But where else can i go than? Maybe i look for a service center (repair shop) that is managed by a farang.

i go to a garage where they have a farang boss and my new Tsugiki racing exhaust fell off after 6 days and was swinging loose under the bike :D

ok,they smiled and fixed it for free on the spot but it could have caused a terrible wreckage if it had of slipped under the back wheel when the bike was hammering down the expressway

the original factory fitted exhaust didnt fall off in 3 years so i can only assume the somchais forgot to tighten then bolt .........

Things like this happen. But a good service should have taken care of your worriedness and should have taken a closer look at the cause of the noise.

I have to agree with this. It was the bike shops fault for not finding anything, assuming that they even looked.

And the bike owner should have pursued the issue further, probably with a different mechanic, because the bike owner "knew" that something was wrong.

The Lifans are not in the same league as the Japanese for quality, but I don't believe that they are as bad as some people make them out to be. I have had a couple of Chinese bikes and I have to say they were just fine for a guy like me that likes to examine and tinker with my machinery.

If you are the kind of rider that only wants to put in the gas and not worry about anything else, then get the brand-name Japanese bike. But there are plenty of guys like me that are easily able to do our own maintenance and that allows us to take advantage of the huge cost savings when buying a new bike.

Three Lifans for the price of one Kawasaki? That is worth consideration if you are the do-it-yourself kind of person.

• Like 1

Things like this happen. But a good service should have taken care of your worriedness and should have taken a closer look at the cause of the noise.

I have to agree with this. It was the bike shops fault for not finding anything, assuming that they even looked.

And the bike owner should have pursued the issue further, probably with a different mechanic, because the bike owner "knew" that something was wrong.

The Lifans are not in the same league as the Japanese for quality, but I don't believe that they are as bad as some people make them out to be. I have had a couple of Chinese bikes and I have to say they were just fine for a guy like me that likes to examine and tinker with my machinery.

If you are the kind of rider that only wants to put in the gas and not worry about anything else, then get the brand-name Japanese bike. But there are plenty of guys like me that are easily able to do our own maintenance and that allows us to take advantage of the huge cost savings when buying a new bike.

Three Lifans for the price of one Kawasaki? That is worth consideration if you are the do-it-yourself kind of person.

what price do you want to put on your health? when metal parts fails prematurely it could be catastrophic

ok , a bike you ride in the dirt on your farm maybe is ok

a bike you want to ride on the expressway at 140kmph with pick ups and fortuners ,you realy need faith in your components

at least i do !

if that costs double or triple i will stil sign the cheque and pay it

someone said you can get 7 of these bikes for the price of a versys ?thx but i will still rather get the versys and be a bit more comfortable

knowing that when i go fast ,it probably wont dis-integrate

i just can not say that about a 40-50k bike assembled from junk in china

Some people don't care about going fast everywhere, (me) and the ones that want to go 140kph certainly do not buy Lifans.

Are we to believe that a Japanese bike has never had a bearing failure?

Some people don't care about going fast everywhere, (me) and the ones that want to go 140kph certainly do not buy Lifans.

of course it can happen to any manufacturer ,it justs seems to happen so much more often (quality control issues ) when your bike costs so less money than a jap bike

is there any differnce in a failure at 90-100-120-140 kmph ? probably disaster and before you say it ,many people ride their lifans at thiose speeds bar 140 because it probably couldnt get there

• Like 1

Serious mechanical failures which have the possibility to cause major accidents, within one year of manufacture is not a common problem with Japanese bikes, and they probably sell hundreds of thousands more bikes than companies like Liffan do outside of China.

Of course not everyone wants to drive fast, but that is no excuse for seriously poor quality of the products and after-service. Bikes are sold to drive at speed so they should be suitable and safe for the job.

I just think that in this particular instance it could very much be blamed on a case of Somchai-failure.

So not only do they have terrible quality issues out of the factory, they can't even spot the problems or fix them at the dealerships either.

It shouldn't have broken so quick in the first place AND they didn't spot it or fix it. That's a 0 out of 2 score....

I just think that in this particular instance it could very much be blamed on a case of Somchai-failure.

So not only do they have terrible quality issues out of the factory, they can't even spot the problems or fix them at the dealerships either.

It shouldn't have broken so quick in the first place AND they didn't spot it or fix it. That's a 0 out of 2 score....

Do you think that the bike owner should share some of the blame? He knew that the bike was not right. He even continued to ride it for two months after it started making a grinding noise. Are the Somchais at the Kawasaki shop any smarter than the Somchais at the Lifan shop? It probably depends on which shop you are going to.

About 2 months ago a noise developed which I thought was the brakes. It was a grinding sort of sound that came and went and particularly when I was just coming to a stop.

Well about 2 weeks ago up in the mountains my front wheel seized while I was going downhill on a highway.

Here is a picture

bearing.jpg

The bike was ridden at least 6 weeks with sometimes "a grinding sound". And this is exactly what the bearing looks like. Maybe first one ball of the bearing broke. Then the ball was pulverized (bruised) over the weeks. The greasing failed of course and the bearing chamber got grinded till it broke. Yes, this should not happen on a bike thats only one year old. But things like this happen. You should not think it does not happen just because you own a japanese bike.

I have a squeaking at my front wheel (Tiger Boxer). Its nearly impossible to say what causes it. Maybe brake pads, maybe bearing, maybe something different. I will have to take everything apart the next days and have a closer look. But i am lucky i guess, its no grinding sound until now.

Buying cheap bikes is like playing lottery. Sometime you win, sometimes you lose rolleyes.gif

companies like honda /kawasaki /yamaha are reputable and can sell bikes on their reputation alone

i trust them a little better than unknown bikes assembled from whos knows what cheap ass components in a factory on the outskirts of guangdong

im not saying anyone shouldnt buy chinese bikes ,its still a personal matter but you have to think at some stage what corners must be cut to sell a 250cc

enduro motorcycle for 40-50k ?

Do you think that the bike owner should share some of the blame? He knew that the bike was not right. He even continued to ride it for two months after it started making a grinding noise. Are the Somchais at the Kawasaki shop any smarter than the Somchais at the Lifan shop? It probably depends on which shop you are going to.

Of course I share some of the blame, I guessed wrong about what was causing the trouble, But hey I went in 5 times asking for a professional opinion and got the nothing wrong response. I am not a mechanic and I have never seen a bearing problem on a motorcycle. In retrospect I can't believe I didn't figure it out, but there ya go.

About 2 months ago a noise developed which I thought was the brakes. It was a grinding sort of sound that came and went and particularly when I was just coming to a stop.

Well about 2 weeks ago up in the mountains my front wheel seized while I was going downhill on a highway.

Here is a picture

bearing.jpg

The bike was ridden at least 6 weeks with sometimes "a grinding sound". And this is exactly what the bearing looks like. Maybe first one ball of the bearing broke. Then the ball was pulverized (bruised) over the weeks. The greasing failed of course and the bearing chamber got grinded till it broke. Yes, this should not happen on a bike thats only one year old. But things like this happen. You should not think it does not happen just because you own a japanese bike.

I have a squeaking at my front wheel (Tiger Boxer). Its nearly impossible to say what causes it. Maybe brake pads, maybe bearing, maybe something different. I will have to take everything apart the next days and have a closer look. But i am lucky i guess, its no grinding sound until now.

Buying cheap bikes is like playing lottery. Sometime you win, sometimes you lose rolleyes.gif

The bearing problem was likely from day 1 and was represented by the crooked wheel stance. The noise came 5000 km's later.

Do you think that the bike owner should share some of the blame? He knew that the bike was not right. He even continued to ride it for two months after it started making a grinding noise.

Yes he should, but it still highlights the serious failings of the product and the dealerships. I would not spend 50,000 on one of these, you could get a good bike for that which will last a lot longer than one year without trying to kill you. Bikes are dangerous enough as it is, the last thing you need are dodgy components causing near accidents after only a year of use.

The bearing problem was likely from day 1 and was represented by the crooked wheel stance. The noise came 5000 km's later.

Maybe the bearing was faulty from beginning. Maybe water came in? Dirt? Difficult to say afterwards. But i do not think so. It takes much more to make the bearing of a front wheel broken in less than 10,000 km.

I guess the front wheel was assembled wrongly. Bearings mostly fail if the assembling is wrong. To much side pressure on the bearing, no clearance, ...

One problem is the lower "quality" of cheap bikes and soemtimes the lack of quality control. But the poor assembling quality is often the real reason why things like this happen. And as soon as a thai mechanic has had his hands on a bike you can't trust anything. This is my honest experience.

Just thought I would mention that I put my new wheel on yesterday and for the first time since I bought the bike, the brake disk is in alignment with the brake calipers. More proof for me that the problem was from day one.

If it had been fixed the first time I had mentioned it it would have saved several trips to the shop and I would have had a much more favorable opinion of Lifan.

Lifan bikes might be ok, but if you can't fix them yourself you will be getting very little qualified help from the shop.

Lesson learned

Take you old wheel to a bike shop and get them to knock out the old bearings. The existing bearings will have a code on them; bearings are fairly standard, so it should be possible to get replacements. Asked them to put in 'medium quality' bearings; that is not the cheapest or the most expensive but somewhere inbetween. Then you have a spare wheel.

Someone mentioned about finding a good bike repairer? There are good Thai bike mechs about; its just a matter of finding them. I suppose that is why alot of us foreigners here do our own mechanics.

Getting into the mindset of the Chinese: most manufactured goods in the world now are made in China, but there is a big difference between a respected brand and a Chinese brand. Foreign companies use Chinese contract manufacturing to make things, but a spec is agreed upfront and the foreign company will do regular QA sampling to make sure that things are up to the agreed spec. However the Chinese brand will be looking to deliver at a cheap price AND with a good margin. They are only interested in your sale; they are not interested in repeat business and it appears they are not interested in building brand loyalty, thus the cheapest components will be used to meet the profit margin.

So after all these years is Lifan considered a good brand? Well it hasn't made any waves yet?

Edited by MaiChai

Even iPads are assembled in China. What else is not made in China? My Lifan 250’s rear bearing also crushed last week. The rear wheel was swaying a bit. I replaced with Kawasaki-made at B$360. I believe it was already damaged the first day I got the bike. I felt the bike swaying since my first ride. I thought it was my poor riding skill.