Working Online

Whilst both respondents confirm what is normally said on ThaiVisa (you need a WP to do online work), they don't attempt to address the issues involved with the simple phrase 'they can come to Thailand and apply for a work permit with the Department of Employment'.

Thailand simply does not have an Immigration / Department of Employment vehicle to support online working :( The result is that 99% of online 'workers' choose to fly under the radar.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new there. The Thai definition of work covers it all. Only those who can't/won't get a work permit argue otherwise.

I dont talk about details here. But I have to say, you are wrong. I had a partnership and a wp. But I could not go on with it, because they (immigration) told me that I cant get a wp for this work as it is not (defined) as work in Thailand. My work has to do with internet.

I dont want to give any details, as imho I guess this is just a not yet closed gap in the labour laws for foreigners as even many western countries still have to work out and to change many regulations and laws regarding to internet.

Immigration has nothing to do with work permit issue - that is an issue for the Labor Department. If you had a work permit there is nothing immigration could do about it. I suspect immigration would not extend your stay which is there right. But you could exit and return for normal non immigrant B visa entry if Consulates accepted your paperwork.

But yes the whole internet thing is a quagmire as rules were not set up for that concept and are slow in evolving.