Towers Too Close To The Sea

prospero

Lawyer Srisawan Janya litigated the Map Ta Phut case which caused big, big trouble for the Thai government and big corporations that developed polluting operations on the Rayong coast.

Now, he is going after the Pattaya and Chonburi governments and the developers of certain high rise condominiums in clear violation of the 200 meter rule.

http://www.pattayape...IdArticle=24819

The Rayong case was a direct assault on huge Thai coroporations, backed by the Prime Minister and influential politicians. It is still going on.

http://www.<URL Auto...ad.php?p=530484

City Hall Pattaya, the Chonburi Governor, and certain powerful developers here are much smaller game. Srisawan may be able to make this case.

One thing for sure, it will be a long time before the fat lady sings.

One can only wonder what the result will be, but if had a condo unit above 14 meters and only 100 meters from the sea, I might be concerned about how long my panoramic view will last.

Edited by prospero

Given that I can't see them tearing down VT7 whatever the outcome, more's the pity, I think this case may weigh in on another issue -whether Pattaya should continue being a self-governing Thiefdom - sorry, Fiefdom, when the people in authority are so amateurish and appalling bad at being in charge of a rapidly developing city.

They seem to be increasingly out of their depth on every level, and the whiff of incompetence and corruption taints everything here.

Given that I can't see them tearing down VT7 whatever the outcome, more's the pity, I think this case may weigh in on another issue -whether Pattaya should continue being a self-governing Thiefdom - sorry, Fiefdom, when the people in authority are so amateurish and appalling bad at being in charge of a rapidly developing city.

They seem to be increasingly out of their depth on every level, and the whiff of incompetence and corruption taints everything here.

There is no love lost between the Abhisit government and the local kleptocracy. Remember what happened to him here.

There is no love lost between the Abhisit government and the local kleptocracy. Remember what happened to him here.

The Abhisit administration battled Srisawan Janya over Map Ta Phut but I'm not clear what is being implied here? That Abhisit, miffed about his past treatment in Pattaya uses a NGO to do battle with "local kleptocracy"?

The Abhisit administration battled Srisawan Janya over Map Ta Phut but I'm not clear what is being implied here? That Abhisit, miffed about his past treatment in Pattaya uses a NGO to do battle with "local kleptocracy"?

I think his point is that Abhisit would probably be very happy to see Pattaya's administration replaced by a more efficient, more competent, less corrupt and and less out of control form of local government.

I think his point is that Abhisit would probably be very happy to see Pattaya's administration replaced by a more efficient, more competent, less corrupt and and less out of control form of local government.

Yes, that's what I thought was hinted. Many of us here and some Thais all feel the same way, but can we really expect the Abhisit government to suddenly do an about face and become the champion of environmental reform, fighting business, developers, and corruption? We all know the answer to that.

And the outcome of that Map Ta Phut battle was?

Good question. On going I suppose, but the Abhisit govenment is pro business (just like the local "kleptocracy"):

"More foreign direct investment is anticipated particularly next year, as the Central Administrative Court's ruling and the National Environment Board's list of 11 harmful activities last week addressed all ambiguous points which had delayed 65 projects in Map Ta Phut and forced foreign investors to adopt a wait-and-see attitude.As investment prospects are beginning to brighten, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday sought to pacify activists and villagers in the wake of the Map Ta Phut virtual go-ahead, saying the government is adhering to every international standard and certain steps taken for environmental protection had gone beyond constitutional requirements.

"Measures taken have taken into account people's quality of life as the main priority," he said, responding to concerns that a pro-business approach has come back to dominate the government's agenda concerning the Map Ta Phut controversy.........."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/09/06/business/Investment-to-rise-after-Map-Ta-Phut-ruling-30137321.html