Comedy legend Leslie Nielsen dies at Florida hospital

News_Editor

Comedy legend Leslie Nielsen dies at Florida hospital

2010-11-29 09:26:47 GMT+7 (ICT)

FT. LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA (BNO NEWS) -- Canadian comedy actor Leslie Nielsen, famous from movies such as "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun", died at a hospital in Florida on late Sunday afternoon, his agent confirmed. He was 84.

"We are sadden by the passing of beloved actor Leslie Nielsen, probably best remembered as Lt. Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun series of pictures, but who enjoyed a more than 60 year career in motion pictures and television," said John S. Kelly, Nielsen's agent.

He added: "Mr. Nielsen, 84, died of complications of pneumonia in a hospital near his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, surrounded by his lovely wife and dear friends."

Kelly said that Nielsen, who had been hospitalized for nearly two weeks as a result of pneumonia, said the actor died at 5.34 p.m. EST.

Earlier, Doug Nielsen, his nephew, told CJOB talk radio station in Canada that the actor passed away in Ft. Lauderdale. "Just in this last 48 hours, the infection has gotten too much and today at 5.30, with his friends and his wife by his side, he just fell asleep and passed away," Doug told the radio station.

Born in Canada, Nielsen appeared in more than 100 movies and hundreds of television shows during his long career. He married four times and has two children from his second marriage, Maura and Thea Nielsen.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-11-29

I usually don't give a crap about celebrities but I will miss him.

Same here. When I read about a celebrity passing on I'm usually of the " Yeah whatever" frame of mind but when I heard about this I felt a slight twinge of sadness.