Buying A Car In The Usa

jcon

Hi guys,

Sorry this may not be Thai-related but I'm hoping some Americans (or anybody who knows) can chime in on this one.

Situation:

I'm currently in the USA.

I'm looking to buy a car (used, private seller) from out-of-state. I actually don't even have a US driver's license anymore so interpret ''out-of-state'' as you will. I drive on an IDP, issued from Thailand.

I would fly to pick up the car, then drive it home and store it (until perhaps I return the USA or it's just another ride for me when I come for vacations).

The car currently has Maryland plates. I would be driving it (and ultimately registering it) in Michigan. I would be paying in cash.

My question is regarding the process for getting some temporary plates for the 12-hour drive. I assume that when I buy the car we transfer title for cash. Then obviously the guy needs to take his plates off the car (well he said they are special plates so he wants to keep them, otherwise he'd give them to me).... then what? I've never bought from out-of-state before, nor have I bought used in the USA, so any advice is appreciated. So how do I get some temporary plates? My own ''home state" or from the state in which I bought the car? Do I have to go to the Secretary of State to do this (ugh)?

So basically I would buy the car, drive it home, store it, then fly back to Thailand. I don't need plates for anything beyond transporting it at this point (i'll deal with that later, as the window in which I would drive the car home and when i leave for Thailand is very narrow, about 2 days). Shipping is not really an option. Thanks for any advice.

jcon

Go to the local DMV or Department of Motor Vehicles in the community that you bought the car. This is where you need to register and reliance the car. Do not wait or drive the car with out doing this as there is no road side tips as in Thailand as our boys do not take tea money and the fine will be quite large. Most Us states do no require and or recognized the IDP only a valid license from your home country or the new license from Thailand that is also in English. I have use mine to rent and drive in the US. Also most most states require you to obtain their license if you are in that state over 30 days. Most of your question can be answered by going to the Maryland DMV website.

Edited by gotlost

Go to the local DMV or Department of Motor Vehicles in the community that you bought the car. This is where you need to register and reliance the car. Do not wait or drive the car with out doing this as there is no road side tips as in Thailand as our boys do not take tea money and the fine will be quite large. Most Us states do no require and or recognized the IDP only a valid license from your home country or the new license from Thailand that is also in English. I have use mine to rent and drive in the US. Also most most states require you to obtain their license if you are in that state over 30 days. Most of your question can be answered by going to the Maryland DMV website.

That is not what I would do. I lived in Michigan for 35 years, so I do have experience here. Go to the local DMV in Michigan. Actually if you call they can help, they have had a new big push for customer service under the new Secretary of State Land (her name). They will tell you the procedure. I believe you get the title faxed to you or them, obtain temp insurance and a plate. The plate is issued on the spot, unless you want special plates not in stock. I got my UofM plates in stock. Then, you take the plates and the insurance with you to Maryland and switch at the time of sale. You take the signed title back to Michigan to register it in your name.

That is not what I would do. I lived in Michigan for 35 years, so I do have experience here. Go to the local DMV in Michigan. Actually if you call they can help, they have had a new big push for customer service under the new Secretary of State Land (her name). They will tell you the procedure. I believe you get the title faxed to you or them, obtain temp insurance and a plate. The plate is issued on the spot, unless you want special plates not in stock. I got my UofM plates in stock. Then, you take the plates and the insurance with you to Maryland and switch at the time of sale. You take the signed title back to Michigan to register it in your name.

1. Great advice, thank you floridaguy.

B. I was going to PM this question but who knows it may help somebody in the future: I'm going to assume that the Michigan DMV is going to want me to have a Michigan Driver's License (which I no longer have) and hence be a resident of Michigan (which I'm technically not). Problems? I ask because the last time I went to the DMV to get a Driver's License I had all of the paperwork (Social Security card, bills, etc.) but when she asked me if I was a resident of Michigan I said ''no'' (I live in Thailand) she said, ''then you can't have a Michigan DL.'' If I had said ''yes'' instead, I'd probably have gotten the license. I'd rather not have the Michigan DL (for now, at least), so I'm just wondering if they will issue me temp insurance and a plate with just my US passport and my Thai DL/IDP. I suppose these questions could be answered by my AAA guy or the Secretary of State, but I just want to have the ''right'' answers in advance if you'd happen to know them.

III. Go Blue :)

1. Great advice, thank you floridaguy.

B. I was going to PM this question but who knows it may help somebody in the future: I'm going to assume that the Michigan DMV is going to want me to have a Michigan Driver's License (which I no longer have) and hence be a resident of Michigan (which I'm technically not). Problems? I ask because the last time I went to the DMV to get a Driver's License I had all of the paperwork (Social Security card, bills, etc.) but when she asked me if I was a resident of Michigan I said ''no'' (I live in Thailand) she said, ''then you can't have a Michigan DL.'' If I had said ''yes'' instead, I'd probably have gotten the license. I'd rather not have the Michigan DL (for now, at least), so I'm just wondering if they will issue me temp insurance and a plate with just my US passport and my Thai DL/IDP. I suppose these questions could be answered by my AAA guy or the Secretary of State, but I just want to have the ''right'' answers in advance if you'd happen to know them.

III. Go Blue :)

If you will keep the car in MI, why not just tell them you are a resident? Do you not have any bills or any other proof of residency? Get any income or mail sent to a MI address? Use a relatives address if you have to. The ownership thing, I am not sure about needing a license, but I don't think so. Commercial vehicles don't require the "owner" to have a license. You can own a car, and have it driven by someone else. I would still try to get the MI license though. Reminds me, I need to renew my MI license. I can do it from Thailand.