Hair Cut

Eric Davis

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my haircut in a barber shop in Minburi for B60 and I give the barber B20. I disagree with the people who say Thais dont tip. Years ago I used to get my haircut in a little shop on soi 23 about 50 m from soi cowboy. Even there I noticed some, but not most, of the Thai customers tipped.

hmmmm difficult one.

i found a great barber's shop and it was 60 baht for a cut. it was the best haircut i could find in bkk and it was down a little soi near a tourist area.

i kept giving the guy a 20 baht tip every time because i was so pleased with the haircut. i used to get it cut once a fortnight.

he soon cottoned on and put the price up to 80 baht for foreigners. it still said in thai 60 baht but there was a sign up in english saying 80.

OK, i thought, same price but no tip now. but because it was 80 baht he was hovering when i gave him a 100!!! he wanted the 20 baht tip too.

i stopped going there eventually cos i moved apartment.

anyways, i was around the area again recently and went in with the wife.

he had now put a sign up saying hair cut 100 baht. i thought this was taking the piss. they had a new bloke cutting my hair and i was chatting away to him and the wife in thai.

when it came to paying the bloke who cut my hair asked the owner how much i should pay. clearly he knew i could see there was a sign in thai saying 60 baht.

i told him in thai that i understood why he charged foreigners more money but that they were on holiday with western wages while i work here. i said i would pay 80 baht, more than a thai but less than his new price. he agreed so i gave him 80, although i dont think i will go there again. he just got too greedy.

maybe if nobody had tipped him when it was 60 baht he wouldnt have raised and raised it.

Edited by leftcross