Hair Cut

Eric Davis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you and Saraburioz should try together to find a barber`s shop with the sign "Buy One Get One Free".

haha, :o:D

Only ever had my hair done in Thailand once when I was in bkk... payed 1100 and tipped 200 (1300) whats that? about 18 quid? For the same job back here in the UK I'd have to pay about 35/40 quid. It was an international stylist place so I don't think the tip was too much appreciated but if I got a cut for baht 50 like some people say they have, not tipping would be almost criminal, what's an extra baht 50 or so?

Great barber, soi 8, right hand side, across from Corleone's, been going there for ages (just got back from there actually)  150 baht and a 20 baht tip.  :o

Erm Davey, 35-40 quid for a haircut??? :D

Yeah, back in the UK. Not at a barber's but at a hairdressers, 35/40 quid is about the norm

:o

got to agree with The Skipper on this one. I have no problem tipping at least 20 baht on a 100 baht haircut and always do. To the dude who cuts his own hair and brags about it. LOL

laughing all the way to the bank, pal. :D

Hey Simbo, If you dont mind looking like Peter Beardsley, then its fine by me.

if you saw how much hair I have, you wouldn't pay either. :D

Anyone who has a haircut in Asia is BRAVE.

I have managed to avoid a haircut thus far and as a result my hair is the longest it's ever been - I can tie it back with a small elastic band and at the end of the month i'll be able to hold my fringe in my teeth.

Did you know that in Asian culture, you go to a hairdressers to get THEIR opinion on what THEY think you should have done, whereas in ours, as we know and are secure with, we go to THEM to TELL THEM what WE want done, HOW we want it done etcetera.

But in the rare event of getting a half decent haircut in Thailand which has happened in the past, I do leave a tip.

It seems everyone has had different experiences with barbers here. I started off many years ago with a guy in Sukhumvit Soi 22. His sign (in Thai) said a haircut was 30 baht, but he charged me 40 baht because I was a farang. So no tip, but he always did a good job and was friendly.

When he moved to another location, I tried a tourist type place near Soi 5 which was 50 baht. I didn't give a tip but eventually the guy that usually cut my hair (there were 3 or 4) became rude and downright insulting, so I quit going there.

I tried a place in Phrakanong Market with 4 or 5 guys which was 40 baht. Some did a good job, others didn't, and it wasn't consistent at all. I noticed that Thais generally only tipped if they either got more than a haircut (nails, shave, massage, etc) or if they asked for a specific barber. One of the guys started being rude and insulting towards me - I assume because he thought farang should tip - so I quit going there.

Next I tried an "international" hairdresser in Amarin Plaza, 250 baht for a shampoo and cut. At that price I figured a tip wasn't necessary. Things went OK until one day the girl who normally cut my hair saw one of her regular Japanese customers come in 5 minutes after she started cutting my hair and some other girls started hassling him for manicure, pedicure and god knows what else. She got so mad that someone else was hitting on her big-tipping customer that she started taking out her frustration on me and my hair. That was the last time I went there.

I decided to go further upmarket, so finally I ended up at another international place called Schwing, in Soi Lang Suan. There is just the owner, Nikki (ex-Beverley Hills stylist), and his one female staff. Customers are mostly female farang residents. For 400 baht I get a great cut that is totally consistent each visit. I give the hairdresser a 50 baht tip, but I've seen other customers tipping the shampoo girl too.

All in all, it seems to me that some Bangkok barbers feel very strongly that all farang should tip, whereas others don't care at all.

<Snipped a bit>

Yes you are missing something that is very important to some Thai people - pride.

Some things just aren't done mate.

Thai people don't like to be thought of as inferior to farangs.

Youy can't bring some of your attitudes regarding tips with you to thailand.

You must be an old yank.

OK, please explain to me in words of one syllable how appreciating good service causes damage to anyones pride, it's not like ... no it's not worth the argument.

My Thai wife does not think I'm insulting anybody (she would most definately tell me!).

BTW. Yes I am 'old', but I'm most definately not a Yank! .. now there's an insult :o

I belive it is also a matter of how the tip is being given. If you are making a big fuss about it and then handing over a 20 baht note for everyone else to see, you have not really done anyone a favour.

When tipping - something I never feel compelled to do - I usually fold up the note(s), and discretely had it to the person I want to reward while thanking him/her. No one else sees how much it is, and in most cases I have found that the person receiving the tip will not look at it while I am there. Face saving for both parties.

Edited by WhiteShiva

<Snipped a bit>
Yes you are missing something that is very important to some Thai people - pride.

Some things just aren't done mate.

Thai people don't like to be thought of as inferior to farangs.

Youy can't bring some of your attitudes regarding tips with you to thailand.

You must be an old yank.

OK, please explain to me in words of one syllable how appreciating good service causes damage to anyones pride, it's not like ... no it's not worth the argument.

My Thai wife does not think I'm insulting anybody (she would most definately tell me!).

BTW. Yes I am 'old', but I'm most definately not a Yank! .. now there's an insult :o

I belive it is also a matter of how the tip is being given. If you are making a big fuss about it and then handing over a 20 baht note for everyone else to see, you have not really done anyone a favour.

When tipping - something I never feel compelled to do - I usually fold up the note(s), and discretely had it to the person I want to reward while thanking him/her. No one else sees how much it is, and in most cases I have found that the person receiving the tip will not look at it while I am there. Face saving for both parties.

Hmmm, very good point there. What I didn't say was that there is invariably no one else in the shop when we 'fight'. The odd time that there has been, the playing is out the window, very serious handing over of change followed by crushing the note into his hand when 'accepting' it. Others are none the wiser.

OK I can add my 20bahts worth now

When I was student, I worked in a small restaurant, often frequented by farang.

Some customers tipped, some did not, never mind. But the ones that did I remembered and always was happy to see again, so we both felt better. The others, they got good service and a smile too, but not so good!!

moral is, tip and be free

"Tip for what?"

A meal,  a taxi, a phone call,  geez.  Help her out.

If you've ever been to Issan and met the kind people there and saw the conditions they grew up in, you might think different.

You're probably concerned with an upgrade to Business on the next flight, or what new Computer or Plazma TV to get.

These girls, their friends and relatives  are just worried about  the next meal.

Not tipping the barber? That's a new one on me...

Issan has plenty of food.

These girls, their friends and relatives are just worried about the next farang to scam.

I think that is more accurate.

Great barber, soi 8, right hand side, across from Corleone's, been going there for ages (just got back from there actually)  150 baht and a 20 baht tip.  :o

Erm Davey, 35-40 quid for a haircut??? :D

Yeah, back in the UK. Not at a barber's but at a hairdressers, 35/40 quid is about the norm

you must be a very hairy man!!

Haha, no ...prices are standard, just the price you pay for a stylist I guess

• 3 months later...
Took my father-in-law for a haircut in Khantararom...50b. Gave him 20b to give the barber for a tip. Father-in-law promptly put the 20b in his own pocket!

I guess the tip is put the money where it's most needed.

Hee hee, that's right mate.

Thais don't tip. I asked a barber on Sukhumvit what she thought of farang who tip and she said they are crazy but they must do it in their own countries. If they are daft enough to carry their own culture to another country and they leave 50 baht!!! tip what can she do?

I think the point some folks are missing, in their glee over saving themselves 20 baht, is that all haircuts aren't the same - not by a long shot. If you've got enough hair to tell the difference between a good haircut and a bad one, and enough money to afford to pay for a good one, then why refuse to pay what amounts to the price of a soft drink for a good cut?

Thai men may not eat p*ssy, and maybe they wear funny flip flops with dress clothes, but does that mean I need to do the same thing? I've seen a lot of Thais running around with haircuts I'd be ashamed to leave the house with, so what?

If you think you're cool because you don't tip your hairstylist at all but you tip your waiter 300 baht, then maybe you're bald, fat, and drunk 'cause it's obvious where your priorities are.

:o

My haircut costs 60 baht and I tip 10 baht.

For my son the cut is 25 baht and I always give him 5 baht for the tip.

These guys do a good job and earn earn little.

The prices are clearly displayed, so no over-pricing for farangs.

BUT WHY?

Why not say, I am richer than you so I want to pay 100 baht for my haircut, not the same as other normal people.

They earn little but have a lot more pride than you obviously have.

Edited by saraburioz

I get a 100 Baht haircut at one of the shopping centers (outer BKK). I give a 20Baht tip. They do a good job, and they are quick--with me and I hate sitting in the chair. I get in right away, get a good haircut with nice, professional people. It's worth it.

By the way, some Thai's do tip. I've seen people in the same salon tip. Also I was out for dinner with several Thai friends. We ate dinner and they left the waitress a 50Baht tip. There was nothing special about the meal or the service--good, but nothing special. I was surprised.

BUT WHY?

Why not say, I am richer than you so I want to pay 100 baht for my haircut, not the same as other normal people.

They earn little but have a lot more pride than you obviously have.

Huh!

My hairdresser has a great deal of pride, but he never refuses my tip, not once in 15 years.

He knows his work is worth a lot more, but dare not put his prices up, or he would

loose his Thai clientel.

If you feel so superior go home to your own country and have your hair cut there.

It will cost you over 1000 baht, then you can be happy!

When I go for a haircut it takes just about 3hrs. Everyone is saying what the frig are u doing for 3hrs! Haircut,restore color,shave,manicure,pedicure,moustache trim,ear&nose trim and upper body massage. Total cost 270bht. Tip 300. Now everyone is floored. No I'm not Rockerfella, just reward what I think is fair. Have been going to same gal nearly 10yrs[married,1 child]and am greeted warmly. If she's not in they phone her and she appears. Back at home it would cost 6-7000bht.

:o Of course. the women who take care of my general maintainence needs are underpaid (IMO), they work 6 days a week and seem to work public holidays too. Last week saturday was constitution day and they worked, on the Monday which was supposed to be a compensation day for the actual holiday falling on a weekend they worked. Open all over xmas and new year, and I know that those aren't particularly Thai holidays but......................

The prices back home are beside the point; this country is an economy based upon the value of the baht. Shop owners and employees work in this economy, and can quit or close shop.

My hair is blond and very thick, and I wear it long. But it grows very slowly. Back home, in 58 years, I only found one hair stylist or barber I liked, and when I tried to grow a pony tail, both she and her boss cut it off. I then went to a real barber, told him what I wanted in English and Spanish, and he did it right. Back home, I pay the standard price plus a tip of 10% to 20%. I never saw any connection between price and service, however. The $8 haircuts from the cutter de jour were no worse than the $30 haircut from Fifi of Sainte Germaine.

In Thailand, my boyfriend took me to either one of the two Thai male barbers in his old neighborhood, and the price was 50 baht. I went back last month after a long absence, and the price had gone up to 60 baht. Old boyfriend was working class Thai who said that Thais don't tip barbers. He also thought a 20 baht restaurant tip was excessive.

I doubt that I'd getter much better service for a 900 baht haircut than a 60 baht haircut. My current stylist, in a tourist location, loves me and I tip her well after we've talked about which of the ***** boys next door is my current favorite.