Hair Cut

Eric Davis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tip for what?"

A meal, a taxi, a phone call, geez. Help her out.

If you've ever been to Issan and met the kind people there and saw the conditions they grew up in, you might think different.

You're probably concerned with an upgrade to Business on the next flight, or what new Computer or Plazma TV to get.

These girls, their friends and relatives are just worried about the next meal.

Not tipping the barber? That's a new one on me...

I think Baht80 is a fair price and I choose to tip as he does a good job everytime.

The last haircut I paid for was about 10 years ago. It was 5 quid. I decided that was too much. I bought myself an electric trimmer and do it myself. It cost about 15 quid then and I still have it. Think of the money I have saved.

Incidently, I have seen them here in Carreforre for 280 baht. :o

4 years of having my haircut in Bkk. I tried 7 different barbers and all of them charged B50 for a great service. I tipped sometimes if they did a nice job and kept quiet or at other times like Xmas. I watched the locals they didn't tip so I followed suit.

When in Rome.......

I loved having my ears cleaned the way they prang that metal pipe like a tuning fork inside you ear it sounds like a peel of church bells going off in your head, really relaxing.

One barber copped a feel of me whilst giving me the customary massage I was too shocked to say anything I just carried on staring at myself in the mirror but when he started massaging my other side and he moved his hands down towards my crotch again I politely moved his hand and told him "hey fella, we don't do that in my country" needless to say I never went there again and no tip. I did enjoy the buzz of something strange happening to me but not enought to turn me from the ladeez ! :o

My chap out here in Bangkadi charges B50 for a shave, haircut, ears, towel..

I always have the same fight with him over the change from my B100, he wants to give it to me!!

If it helps feed his kids I can afford 1.20 quid for a haircut.

For three years I got my haircut for free. My ex-girl friend's father was a barber. After we broke up I still went to him because he did a good job. He looked at me and I looked at him and he said "guess not free anymore" and I smiled and said "guess not" :o He charged 35B and I usually rounded it up to 40-50B because he was a nice guy and knew how I liked it.

Tourist place in Pattaya:100 to 200 bhts. :D:D:o

My preferate thai barber in a little soi near Pattaya Thai:50 bahts.Tip:10 bahts.Each time very funny.Barber and wife joking with me.(Yes I am a cheap charlie :D )

100-200BHT in patters? Bloody ###### where you going? :o

Normally go to a beauty salon - actually been going same place for years and even followed the lady after she moved shops to Soi diana. I normally get haircut, facial, manicure, pedicure done - normally 300bht. I tip her 100bht - excessive but she's a mate now - even took her out for some drinks w/my gf and I.

Well, my husband is local and he tips, so to the guy who said locals don't tip, maybe that is just what you wanted to see? Besides, what is 20 baht to you really? Even for me, and I earn baht, 20 baht is nothing, it is a coke for heaven's sake!! You are so tight you can't tip the price of a coke???

When they ask you if want shampoo and a ''quick massage'', don't ever say YES. All they wanna do is rip you off, take your money, once they wanted 450 baht from me from a 30 min crappy Head massage + shampoo + haircut yet the Haircut price is 80 baht.

i always used to pay 200 baht for a cut on sukhumvit, then switched and paid the same at a place in sathorn. both places had absolutely stunning girls who spoke perfect english and generally flirted extra tip money out of my pocket.

now i found a place run by an old thai bloke that does it for 59 baht with no banter but a great haircut. i always tip him 20 but sometimes i was hitting the girls with 100 baht. christ they were hot and i'm easily led :o

Geez, you guys have me feeling like Bill Gates over here. When I have gotten a haircut in BKK, I was tipping 100B. It's nothing to me and I would tip about the same back home so thats what I give. This little bit from me can mean so much to them I have no problem giving it.

When I am in Issan, I tip the samlor driver 100B as well for pedaling me around, which can't be easy for him. He is just a skinny little fella. The 100B means nothing to me and can mean the whole day to this guy so, I see no reason to not give it to him. You guys want to tip like the locals but do you make as much money as the locals or a lot more? Think about it.

When I have gotten a haircut in BKK, I was tipping 100B.  It's nothing to me and I would tip about the same back home so thats what I give.  This little bit from me can mean so much to them I have no problem giving it. 

Same here, Pay B300 for cut (sometimes B400 with shaving) and tip B100. I only get hair cut once every 2 - 3 months and B100 is only worth two cans of sodas where I'm from anyway. Also tip B10 - 20 for cleaning windshield at service stations.

Many years ago an American film company came to Chiang Mai and paid those males who wanted to be extras 800 baat to get a military style haircut. So most of us went to our local barber, paid 30 baat, and went out for quite a few rounds that evening.

I always tip the lcoal guy about 20 baat.

I always tip, whatever the service rendered.

Even if it wasn't great service I'll tip something, on the presumption they were having a bad day.

I never tip less that 100b and a lot more depending on the nature and quality of the service, and it doesn't take much, a decent smile will do.

It's just a couple of bucks, it's not that big of a deal to me but can be to them.

I also make sure there's a respectable tip on the pillow for whoever's making the room up, most of the people in the service industry rely on tips for a good part of their income. mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

I pay bt40 for my haircut, and give a bt20 tip.

Incidently one of the "shops" in the village has a barbers chair and will give you a trim for bt10... no tip wanted from the shearer apart from a shot of lao kao... however, I've been told by some of the locals that the blades in the clippers are far from sharp and can cause tears... so I haven't used the service.. I did however take Grandpa for a trim and he didn't seem to mind... but then he's a tough un anyway :D

totster :o

A small tip to the maid can be beneficial, nicer towels, more pillows, cleaner shower, maybe even some small favors or some homemade snacks.

I leave the maids tip UNDER the pillow. That way, the person actually doing the work gets the money.

Not the greedy head maid that rushes in everytime, at one Hotel I'm familiar with.

This lady even rigged the raffle at the Hotels New Year Party, won the big prize EVERY YEAR!

A maids salary is about 4.000/month I hear.

Lets help em out.