Hair Cut

Eric Davis

I like to try different places because frankly I haven't found a cutter that really pleases me, and I want to find a regular cutter in a non-touristy Thai place.

That said, in some of the local places I have tried they double charge me (I know because Thai friends have told me what they are charged). One place did this in an amusing way. Because they were crowded, the amount asked was presented on a calculator, even though they could speak English and probably knew I could understand Thai numbers. Why did they do this? Because they cared enough to save face with their Thai customers not to publicize that they cheat farangs? In this case, I did not tip and they looked surprised (duh), but I normally tip 20 percent on a haircut. I have heard Thai people do not tip hair cutters, it is just the custom, but lets face it, farangs are expected to tip.

One thing I am confused about though. Should we tip the shampoo person if different, or does the cutter cut in the shampooer?

Edited by Thaiquila

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago, we went to an aunt’s house just outside of Sukhothai on the main road to Si Satchanalai. Across the road from her house was a house with an open air barber with just a metal roof attached to the side of the house. The only people who ever go there are the neighborhood locals. My wife paraded me over to the place, then left.

I only expected a haircut, but what I got was a shampoo, haircut, moustache trim, whiskers shave, ears and nose hair trimmed, some fragrance for the hair, hot towel on the face, massage of the neck, shoulders and arms clear down to the fingers, and the usual powder dusting. Total cost was 25 baht. After all was finished, I tipped the guy another 20 baht for the fine, but unexpected extra service. The guy was astonished because none of the locals ever tip. Regardless, he was thrilled to no end. When my wife returned, the guy was talking about it like he won the lottery or something. I guess I became a source of conversation among the locals at the shop that day. To me, it was worth it and he could always use the extra “bonus” for himself or his family.

Hair Cut, Do you tip here in LOS?

....hmmm i dont think so

here ..hair makers are psycho

when we tell them ...ohh please trim it 1" they will cut yours 3" atleast

just pray for god IMHO hahah

want my tip? nope nope.... lol :o

Have had very variable haircuts in LOS.

In my village tried 'Bobby' barber 20b.Was ok first time gave him 20b tip.Second time went in and was luckily one person in front.Bobby was as drunk as a skunk!! and still very willing to cut hair and use his cut throat razor.No thanks and I was off out the door.

My favourite place in Udon charges 50b have used the same female barber many times and tipped 20b but last time she gave me short back and sides and got nothing.

In Pattaya have been quoted 200b in several places now use one for 80. Again 20b tip for good job done.If I used a more expensive place would give a higher tip for a quality job.

Edited by chaiyapoon

got to agree with The Skipper on this one. I have no problem tipping at least 20 baht on a 100 baht haircut and always do. To the dude who cuts his own hair and brags about it. LOL

laughing all the way to the bank, pal. :o

Hey Simbo, If you dont mind looking like Peter Beardsley, then its fine by me.

A haircut at a slapshot place at a mall in the US is 800 Baht, plus tip, someplace decent twice that. Probably better off at a beauty salon. Since most who think a haircut is worth only 35-70 baht + 10 baht tip probably have a head made by the lowest bidder, for those who don't think their head was made by the lowest bidder pay 200 Baht for someone to do a consistently decent job, add a 100 Baht tip and show up do get it done every 6 weeks. Always looks better than 5 beers the next morning :D Besides, since most of the girls are making 6,000 Baht a month helps make sure that you have someone reliable in place. YGWYPF :o

Edited by kidtongue

why not tip? it pleases me to tip, it pleases the receiver

No it doesn't. Have you ever talked with a thai hairdresser. I have talked to one that worked in bangkok near the victory monument. She said that she was offended when farangs gave her a tip, it made her lose face. :o

No it doesn't. Have you ever talked with a thai hairdresser. I have talked to one that worked in bangkok near the victory monument. She said that she was offended when farangs gave her a tip, it made her lose face. :D

"One" does not make a mob! How many h/ds have refused a tip from you..... :o

QUOTE(saraburioz @ 2005-08-17 15:52:29)

No it doesn't. Have you ever talked with a thai hairdresser. I have talked to one that worked in bangkok near the victory monument. She said that she was offended when farangs gave her a tip, it made her lose face.

"One" does not make a mob! How many h/ds have refused a tip from you..... 

I never give a tip to them. I don't know how long you have lived in Thailand but there are correct and incorrect times to tip. The hairdresser tip should be left to the tourists around the tourist area in bangkok or the islands and pattaya(which is a world of it's own). nothing to do with being stingy.

No it doesn't. Have you ever talked with a thai hairdresser. I have talked to one that worked in bangkok near the victory monument. She said that she was offended when farangs gave her a tip, it made her lose face. :o

How does tipping cause loss of face?? Surely a tip is an indication that you are pleased with the service provided, whatever it was. Or am I missing some subtle point of Thai culture.

I will continue my 'fights' with my barber (see my previous posts on this thread), and the little sweetie who pumps my gas will continue to get any coins that are in the change from a tank full, thats worth it for the wai and the sweet smile :D

Edited by Crossy

QUOTE(saraburioz @ 2005-08-17 09:52:29)

No it doesn't. Have you ever talked with a thai hairdresser. I have talked to one that worked in bangkok near the victory monument. She said that she was offended when farangs gave her a tip, it made her lose face.

How does tipping cause loss of face?? Surely a tip is an indication that you are pleased with the service provided, whatever it was. Or am I missing some subtle point of Thai culture.

I will continue my 'fights' with my barber (see my previous posts on this thread), and the little sweetie who pumps my gas will continue to get any coins that are in the change from a tank full, thats worth it for the wai and the sweet smile 

Yes you are missing something that is very important to some Thai people - pride.

Some things just aren't done mate.

Thai people don't like to be thought of as inferior to farangs.

Youy can't bring some of your attitudes regarding tips with you to thailand.

You must be an old yank.

QUOTE(saraburioz @ 2005-08-17 09:52:29)

I will continue my 'fights' with my barber (see my previous posts on this thread), and the little sweetie who pumps my gas will continue to get any coins that are in the change from a tank full, thats worth it for the wai and the sweet smile 

Yes you are missing something that is very important to some Thai people - pride.

Some things just aren't done mate.

Thai people don't like to be thought of as inferior to farangs.

Youy can't bring some of your attitudes regarding tips with you to thailand.

You must be an old yank.

OK, please explain to me in words of one syllable how appreciating good service causes damage to anyones pride, it's not like ... no it's not worth the argument.

My Thai wife does not think I'm insulting anybody (she would most definately tell me!).

BTW. Yes I am 'old', but I'm most definately not a Yank! .. now there's an insult :o

Haircut 50 baht and no tip. This barbershop is a one-man operation and if he wants more money he can put his prices up. I've never seen any Thais tip him so there's no reason for me to overpay.

Maybe you and Saraburioz should try together to find a barber`s shop with the sign "Buy One Get One Free".

Then you`d both be happy.....but don`t forget NOT to tip him :o

QUOTE(MyNameIsFarang @ 2005-08-17 18:41:46)

Haircut 50 baht and no tip. This barbershop is a one-man operation and if he wants more money he can put his prices up. I've never seen any Thais tip him so there's no reason for me to overpay.

Maybe you and Saraburioz should try together to find a barber`s shop with the sign "Buy One Get One Free".

Then you`d both be happy.....but don`t forget NOT to tip him

:o It's got nothing to do with the money, as I said before on this topic.

Would you give a guy selling you a pineapple a tip because he gave you good service. Would you tip a newspaper seller in your own country? Remember this is Thailand not farangland.

Christ, you may as well tip the women who give you the BTS ticket, or taxi driver.

QUOTE(MyNameIsFarang @ 2005-08-17 18:41:46)

Then you`d both be happy.....but don`t forget NOT to tip him

:o It's got nothing to do with the money, as I said before on this topic.

Would you give a guy selling you a pineapple a tip because he gave you good service. Would you tip a newspaper seller in your own country? Remember this is Thailand not farangland.

Christ, you may as well tip the women who give you the BTS ticket, or taxi driver.

I think that the only tip that you would give would be on the 3.30 at Sandown....but you`d no doubt want a tip for the information :D