Household Electrical Items And Electricity Costs In Thailand

Does anyone have statistics on the typical costs in Baht of using various household electrical goods. I am particularly interested in how much it costs to boil a full pot of water in a standard sized kettle.

Electricity is about 4 Baht a unit including taxes and fuel surcharge if bought off the authority (if you're in a condo then the sky's the limit).

1 unit is 1 kWh or 1000 Joules per second x 3600 seconds in an hour = 3,600,000 Joules

Specific Heat Capacity of water is 4200 J/kg/C

If your pot holds 1 Litre (1kg) and the water is 25C from the tap then you will use 4200 x 1 x 75 = 315,000 Joules to heat that water to 100C.

So to boil that pot used 315000/3600000 = 0.0875 units or 0.35 Baht.

Add to that the power used whilst the water is boiling waiting to be turned off :)

Assuming no losses and that my memory of schoolboy physics hasn't been addled in the 35 years since it was last used :)

555. I just read what I wrote, looks like the sort of thing I wrote 35 years ago in my O level Physics exam. Perhaps I'm regressing to my childhood.

Hmmmm, couldn't be too bad, I could have another shot at the girl next door, Yvonne, blue eyes, blonde hair, big bazookas :P