Knife Used In Pattaya Jetski Scam - Irish Tourist’s Life Threatened

george

Thats why expats should direct everyone to thai beaches. Koh samet and the like have almost no issues.

I think thats very good idea there are numerous beaches / islands with great facilities without this BS which will at the end prevent our tourists to return. If you had a great time in a country far away from your own and you come back you will tell all of your friends who will think less than twice to also come and see Thailand. The decision to come will be hindered right away if you come back with negative stories.

but the way it goes here, the scammers will follow where ever they can find victims

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily, these days we have something called the 'Internet'.

So, we know that of course the local cops are going to do nothing, but it doesn't matter.

If you want to really damage these a**holes, you must use social media -- Facebook and Twitter, because that is where opinions are formed these days. The upside is that you could do some serious damage via these channels without going near the cops or the useless newspapers.

RickBradford is correct. You can't beat these thugs from the beaches of Pattaya. They are too well entrenched with the local police. The facebook thing WOULD work. I originally thought you could beat them by informing every customer that all jetski operators were scammers. But, that would only bring heat on yourself and you wouldn't have any backup to protect you. Do it from a distance (facebook etc) and through advertising.

Pattaya is well known as being "sin city:. That is why we go there and enjoy the craziness. There's no place else like it. But, you can't be silly when walking into a room full of thieves and cutthroats. It's like Angeles City in the Philippines... only a bit cleaner and less desperate. If you KNOW it's a scam city then why go? The obvious answer is the action. That is why people go to Las Vegas. It's a bit scary and more exciting than Nowheresville, USA, or stuffy London, England.

I'm still amazed at why people try to settle in Pattaya and then complain about the very reasons the place is so popular in the first place. There are thousands of far better beaches in Thailand and more family oriented places to settle down. Why pick some place known for its sleaze and corruption, and then complain about it?

It's like the old story about the guy sitting down at the poker table with a bunch of known card sharks. He was asked why he risked it and his reply was it was the only game in town. If you KNOW the town is sleazy then why go there in the first place? A fool and his money are soon parted.

A couple weeks ago I got on Virtual Tourist and wrote up some scams in Pattaya but not everyone coming here will do their homework and read virtual tourist which tells about tourist sights and scams from people who have visited cities around the world. Maybe the "famous" Pattaya tourist police could stand at the bus station and pass out leaflets warning the tourists of the scams. Aren't they here to help the tourist?

The past 2 months there have been been comments on Thaivisa plus videos recording these scams. Thee was a comment by Pattaya Mail newspaper about these jet ski scams AND THE CITY JUST TURNS THEIR HEADS. What does it take???????????????? I think the mayor and city officials are afraid of the local police.

Funny how they can let a few people ruin holidays and for some an experience of a life time, in this time and age you should be trying to secure return trade, what do you think they’re going to tell their friends??

It makes my blood boil.. :redcard2:

certain jet ski operators have taken a leaf out of the scam book made infamous by their Phuket cousins,

This must be a first as usually Phuket takes after Pattaya but cant ever seem to get it right

Connection to the Notorius Phuket - Pattaya idiots?

Perhaps Just changed hands, being maybe a move and from related hands from the alleged and AQUITED?. Or was he aquited?

Now an over sized knife. Surely the same people thinking in different technique and in a different neighborhood in Thailand. Big knife, is scarier that a gun in my eyes..

So, my question is…What time, if any, did that scum bag from Phuket as in jail time get?, and then get out..if any?

Search this out, and the timing now, and it may equivocate to the same.

I saw the media on that operation, and I really hate that scumbag..Easy for him to go away if wanted is my thoughts from him being a worthless human being! NO SCUM BAG NO CRY...NO SCUM BAG NO CRY!!! TO BOB MARLEY MUSIC OF COURSE..

uncletom

Although my story has no revelance to the jetski scam it has with the knife incident.Only this weekend I got into a fight with a group of Thai scum over a car accident in Rayong.To cut a long story short I was punched unprovoked by the one Thai that was involved at the time.After retaliating and giving the lowlife a hiding the usual scenario of Thai cowardice evolved.He'd got on the phone and a couple more lowlifes turned up.At this point the thing escalated to where I was being threatened with a machete.Luckily for me the police (I use that term lightly) arrived.I'll add that I also had my G/F and her brother and sisters young daughters with me.After making statements at the station and the police omitting the machete incident they were allowed to walk free.This is only an outline of the full story but gives an insight to what use the police are here in Thailand.What I find unbelievable is not just the fact that if the police hadn't turned up when they did I might not be here to post this reply,it's the fact no one's concerned that scumbags such has these are able to brandish machete's around when young children are about.The place is lawless.

Edited by spud1

Although my story has no revelence to the jetski scam it has with the knife incident.Only this weekend I got into a fight with a group of Thai scum over a car accident in Rayong.To cut a long story short I was punched unprovoked by the one Thai that was involved at the time.After retaliating and giving the lowlife a hiding the usual scenario of Thai cowardice evolved.He'd got on the phone and a couple more lowlifes turned up.At this point the thing escalated to where I was being threatened with a machete.Luckily for me the police (I use that term lightly) arrived.I'll add that I also had my G/F and her brother and sisters young daughters with me.After making statements at the station and the police omitting the machete incident they were allowed to walk free.This is only an outline of the full story but gives an insight to what use the police are here in Thailand.What I find unbelievable is not just the fact that if the police hadn't turned up when they did I might not be here to post this reply,it's the fact no one's concerned that scumbags such has these are able to brandish machete's around when young children are about.The place is lawless.

WAS IT A RENTAL CAR? And or local rental car? Or just your own?

Makes no difference to your ordeal, but maybe it does.. Non selective..

uncletom

The Irish are known for their ability to demonstrate violence when provoked (just ask the English) and they can be very tough nuts to crack so these Thai morons were lucky on this occasion. We should invite a few groups of lads from Edinburgh and Glascow over and see how the Thai mini mafia fair against them!

Pull your head in little boy, you'll never win in this neck of the woods fighting fire with fire no matter how tough you reckon you or your clan are. For the record, you skirt-wearing lot (plus funky neighbours) are about as tough or scary as an unruly class of schoolgirls. The hardcore - the ones who don't need to shout about it - are all south of the wall... ooh, my dad's bigger than yours. :lol:

While it'd be nice to have em picked off by men in black, or a Taksin-esque cull of the scum, the reality is it's never going to be eradicated as anyone with any nous on how things work here knows they're in cahoots with the law.

I'm still amazed at why people try to settle in Pattaya and then complain about the very reasons the place is so popular in the first place. There are thousands of far better beaches in Thailand and more family oriented places to settle down. Why pick some place known for its sleaze and corruption, and then complain about it?

It's like the old story about the guy sitting down at the poker table with a bunch of known card sharks. He was asked why he risked it and his reply was it was the only game in town. If you KNOW the town is sleazy then why go there in the first place? A fool and his money are soon parted.

The problem with that is that Thailand has been promoting Pattaya (among other places) as a tourist destination for families and "quality" tourists. It's no wonder those people arrive there that the reaction from the usual suspects is like throwing fresh chum in a shark tank.

Quite related to this, I get a chuckle out of the new close circuit monitors in the MRT stations here in Bangkok, they loop a promotional video for tourists, the catch phrase of the song? "Thailand, once in a life time" :rolleyes:

Thats why expats should direct everyone to thai beaches. Koh samet and the like have almost no issues.

Yet........

The more these things go unpunished, indeed supported by the police, then the more people will see that it can be a nice little earner, and any farang will become fair target - anything from the jetski scam, to the underage daughter scam, and all the scams in between, including the "let's demand money from the foreigner because he is a foreigner" scam. Add to this the worldwide slowdown in spending / wasting your money on holidays, and the way forward will be clear.

Although my story has no revelence to the jetski scam it has with the knife incident.Only this weekend I got into a fight with a group of Thai scum over a car accident in Rayong.To cut a long story short I was punched unprovoked by the one Thai that was involved at the time.After retaliating and giving the lowlife a hiding the usual scenario of Thai cowardice evolved.He'd got on the phone and a couple more lowlifes turned up.At this point the thing escalated to where I was being threatened with a machete.Luckily for me the police (I use that term lightly) arrived.I'll add that I also had my G/F and her brother and sisters young daughters with me.After making statements at the station and the police omitting the machete incident they were allowed to walk free.This is only an outline of the full story but gives an insight to what use the police are here in Thailand.What I find unbelievable is not just the fact that if the police hadn't turned up when they did I might not be here to post this reply,it's the fact no one's concerned that scumbags such has these are able to brandish machete's around when young children are about.The place is lawless.

uncletom

The car was my G/F's brother's,I was blameless for the accident has I wasn't even in the car when it was reversed into.But this has no revelance to the point I,m trying to make.

Edited by spud1

Jeez...

Somebody is going to get killed or severely injured by one of these riff-raff. And I bet when it happens, the police and other officials will claim no knowledge of any scams ever happening in Pattaya.

TheWalkingMan

should ban jet skis. that will make them all un happy. even the good jet ski people as they will lose their business due to the bad rivals. thats if there is such a thing

There must be absolutely a ban on these water tuk-tuks. :lol:Klong San Seab should be their destination.:lol:

There are great alternatives with far more fun and it's clean and so exiting.

Have a look, never seen here I think

uncletom

The car was my G/F's brother's,I was blameless for the accident has I wasn't even in the car when it was reversed into.But this has no revelance to the point I,m trying to make.

Yeah, no it doesn’t in this circumstance.

I have been through a ton, and having knives too. Ain’t logical or fair neither for what you and the family went through. J

ust…TIT unfortunately.. Sorry you had that happen.

Maybe will happen again. Heads up for the future!Take care. I can see you have spent some time here and know ssomthings personally.Many TV posters haven't even the foggiest. All talk...

uncletom

Jeez...

Somebody is going to get killed or severely injured by one of these riff-raff. And I bet when it happens, the police and other officials will claim no knowledge of any scams ever happening in Pattaya.

TheWalkingMan

should ban jet skis. that will make them all un happy. even the good jet ski people as they will lose their business due to the bad rivals. thats if there is such a thing

There must be absolutely a ban on these water tuk-tuks. :lol:Klong San Seab should be their destination.:lol:

There are great alternatives with far more fun and it's clean and so exiting.

Have a look, never seen here I think

I rest my statement..Be safe in your travles as well as I will be too...

uncleton

In this incident the tourist police where a total joke.

They negotiated a payoff of 5000 baht and told them not to try and push charges on the knife incident when they had many witnesses.

They should have used this as a catalyst for getting something done whereas they were just helping the scammers.

I'd like to tell the tourist police where to go....

Next time I bump into one I may just do that.

Is there nothing to be done to reign in these daylight robbers,

Of course there is. It is in our genes to exhibit basic human/animal responses, which are essentially freeze, fight or flight. If you freeze, you risked getting involved. If you fight, you will get more involved that you really want. So that leaves flight, which above all things includes avoidance. As I suggested in the other thread, we are free to choose with our feet .... and our wallets.

.... and to bring some sort of semblence of law and order to this country?

IMHO, this part needs to be kept in perspective, and separate from things that go on in the rest of the country. The local mafiosi may run the jet ski racket, but that doesn't mean they run the whole country or that the whole country is lawless. Get away from the tourist areas, out into the country where most of the people are and in and around where our home is, and the society is generally found to be peaceful, ordered and civilized.

They negotiated a payoff of 5000 baht and told them not to try and push charges on the knife incident when they had many witnesses.

that's cheap. i know it's daylight robbery when u have not done anything but the ones i watched play out involved much higher payouts than that.

i filmed 11 scams in total with demands reaching to 35,000 50,000 and even 100,000 bht.

i spoke to people who had made payments of 15,000 and 18,000 bht. thats a lot of folded, enough to ruin a holiday

that's cheap. i know it's daylight robbery when u have not done anything but the ones i watched play out involved much higher payouts than that.

i filmed 11 scams in total with demands reaching to 35,000 50,000 and even 100,000 bht.

i spoke to people who had made payments of 15,000 and 18,000 bht. thats a lot of folded, enough to ruin a holiday

I'm well aware that's cheap compared to what most pay, but it's still 5000 too much. There should have been charges laid against the knife wielder and nothing should have been paid. The tourist police were working for the scammers and showed what an abolute waste of space they are.

Corruption with a legimate agency of the law? Or law enforcemnet does not want to be bothered to be drawn into and out throug-out a court trial taking up their time? Think about it!

uncletom

agree, they don't want to waste their time doing their jobs

Just dont go to places like Pattaya, many places in Thailand are free from all this crap .

If your only coming here for a bunk-up , the whole place is open, no need to go to the rough parts of Thailand where you will be scammed,robbed,mugged,raped,killed or what ever. just avoid the sheeeeeite holes.

u can choose to believe what u like but i know i saw and photographed 11 scams during various trips this year.

that's just the ones i came across.

i only came on this forum* because a friend told me about a series of jet ski threads and i hoped that i could add some imput and help publicise the problem to warn newbie visitors.

i don't believe it is possible to stamp this out as there is just too much cash involved so the only other way is to keep people informed as to the potential downside of renting a jet ski on pattaya beach

*my photo thread can be found elsewhere on another forum but that's a schh.........

Just dont go to places like Pattaya, many places in Thailand are free from all this crap .

If your only coming here for a bunk-up , the whole place is open, no need to go to the rough parts of Thailand where you will be scammed,robbed,mugged,raped,killed or what ever. just avoid the sheeeeeite holes.

Talk about a knee-jerk response. It's quite easy to lead a peaceful and pleasant existence in Pattaya. Just learn the ropes and DON'T HIRE JETSKIS. Bad things can happen everywhere.

I own quite a large boat, what u say i start a gang we all hire every jet ski on the island and tow them all away? Tow them to cambodia sell them for 3000 a piece.

You would serve tourism better by towing the owners out, and you don't have to go all the way to Cambodia to get rid of your cargo.

If the powers that be in Pattaya had a pair or even a semblance of a pair they would set all the jet ski operators down and not allow then to operate for 15 days. Maybe then the innocent parties would crack down on the guilty ones and clean up the mess. Aside from that, let them all suffer.

15 Days???? Well why not just over night.

:unsure:

vigilante action, NO. It will only exacerbate it.

Tangible action by TAT and/or authorities. Won't happen in any meaningful way. TAT is too busy focused on big spending tourists, and is too brain addled and toothless to deal with extortionist punks they way they need to be dealt with.

Scum of Thailand ... thai mafia linked businesses involved in tourism should be wiped out ... why doesn't the TAT step in and do something ... set-up a scene - video it and have the culprits charged with extortion ... do the same in Phuket and in Samui with the Taxi mafia. I mean it can't be that hard - can it ? These guys are just biting the hand that feeds 'em, and it's the law abiding tourist businesses who suffer !

Thai law enforcement are inept at setting up effective sting operations. For starters, they have trouble keeping secrets (clandestine ruses needed to carry out a sting). Secondly, they're too quick to offer wiggle room (for culprits), and are not known for hanging tough on prosecutions.

BTW, the types of scratches that usually get pointed at - as needing tens of thousands of baht in repair, - could be fixed for 120 baht and a bit of epoxy. I use epoxy for many things. When Ishi (the last wild Native American in California) was asked what were the two best inventions of white man, he said 'matches and glue'. I might update that assessment to add 'computers and internet' but lately computers and internet have been a letdown, so it's back to Ishi's sage observation.