Buriram Trip, Please Help!

macknife

I live in Bangkok and I'm planning to make a necessary trip to Buriram on Thursady 9th Dec in the evening. The 10th is a national holiday, so could this be a problem, should I choose this day (the 9th)?

My next question is, where to stay? I will be staying in the main town of Buriram and I can't find much on the net. I found a thread here on thaivisa but it was quite a few years old.

From what I've read there are only 2 real choices for me to stay. Either the Thai Hotel or the Grand Hotel. The information I found was not very promising(ie not that nice to look at inside and out) but I guess they will have to do.

Can anyone tell me any information about them like room quality, aircon, or wi-fi? or if in fact there is anywhere newer to stay.

Nightlife.. As i will be there a few nights, what is there to do? I've heard of a place called Speed disco, is it any good? Any possibilitis of meeting a few local lasses in there or anywhere else for that matter?

I've also seen something about Bamboo bar and restaurant. Is it still there and a good place for farangs to hang out?

Getting there. I'm planning to take the bus or train. Like I said before I plan to leave on thursday 9th after 6pm sometime, what would be the best way? Either way if I leave at this time I will be arriving in Buriram around 3am,

would this be a problem to find a hotel?

Finally, getting around town. I won't bother hiring a car and I've read the town is quite small, so do I hire a motorbike? Just get tuk-tuks etc? What's the going rate?

Would you mind if i was nosey & first apologised for not knowing the answer to any of your questions, & secondly ask, if you are not goingg with a " Lass " what on Earth else could be necessary in order to take a trip to Buriram ??

On business. If I was going with a lass, I wouldn't need this information.

Don't know about the hotels you have mentioned but I have stayed at the Theppnakorn Hotel:-

Tomorrow night I am staying at the Siam Hotel with 11 or so other expats for a pre-Xmas get together. Looks very clean for 500 Baht (Deluxe 900).

There is a good map on a local internet forum. Google Buriram and something relating to expats and you should get there. PM me if necessary.

Recommend Muang Pizza for pasta or pizza dishes (see map) and at the Irish Bar Brian serves wholesome food. Not exactly a flavour of Thailand but both proprietors are good guys. The Bamboo is a long-established haunt of Falangs and Thais.

Can't speak for Speed and I am not sure what your expectations are. This is rural Thailand with limited amenities. Others will provide better personal experiences but I have heard that a soapy massage may be available at the Theppnakorn and I will leave you decide how low "Mucky Street" - local karaoke area - might be in terms of ladies.

Enjoy your stay.

Would you mind if i was nosey & first apologised for not knowing the answer to any of your questions, & secondly ask, if you are not goingg with a " Lass " what on Earth else could be necessary in order to take a trip to Buriram ??

On business. If I was going with a lass, I wouldn't need this information.

Business aye, in Buriram, good luck..

Thanks people.

What about arriving on the bus or train at 3am, will that be a problem in finding a hotel?

Not sure to be honest. Maybe you could arrange to arrive at a different time. Nackornchai Air bus company now run many buses to Buriram each day.

Evening times are usually quite. Depends what you want. If you are looking for a conversation in English then you would be hard pushed to find many westerners out after about 10 PM. Most of the westerners up here tend to have a couple of beers in afternoon/early evening and head home before it gets dark.

The Thepnakorn, as mentioned by Cardholder, is probably now the best hotel in Buriram. Would like to know where you found the Grand and Thai hotels listed. They were going down hill 10 years ago. Can't remember the last time I saw anybody coming out or going in there.

The Siam is quite good and has internet access in the rooms. I have herad the rooms are a good standard. You have "karaoke" street right on the door step. Lots of girlies singing songs and "stuff!" This is probably the most likely place you will get a room at 3am. Only 30/40 baht from the bus station by motorcycle taxi.

The Bamboo has been quite for a while now. Some people had issuse with the Thai manager and have stopped going in there. Maybe a bit busier now that the International bar has closed.

Paddy'd Irish Bar is usually quite busy. Normally opens about 1pm and pretty much stays open until the last man leaves. This is a good venue for watching late night sport. You'll need to get a Tuk Tuk or motorbike to take you. Maybe a good idea to get his phone number so you can call him to come and pick you up.

Speed is Ok but only just. I personally find it too loud.

That's pretty much Buriram. It's a good place to live and the locals are friendly.

Maybe MSingh may like to come up and have a look too.

Thanks people.

What about arriving on the bus or train at 3am, will that be a problem in finding a hotel?

Not sure to be honest. Maybe you could arrange to arrive at a different time. Nackornchai Air bus company now run many buses to Buriram each day.

Evening times are usually quite. Depends what you want. If you are looking for a conversation in English then you would be hard pushed to find many westerners out after about 10 PM. Most of the westerners up here tend to have a couple of beers in afternoon/early evening and head home before it gets dark.

The Thepnakorn, as mentioned by Cardholder, is probably now the best hotel in Buriram. Would like to know where you found the Grand and Thai hotels listed. They were going down hill 10 years ago. Can't remember the last time I saw anybody coming out or going in there.

The Siam is quite good and has internet access in the rooms. I have herad the rooms are a good standard. You have "karaoke" street right on the door step. Lots of girlies singing songs and "stuff!" This is probably the most likely place you will get a room at 3am. Only 30/40 baht from the bus station by motorcycle taxi.

The Bamboo has been quite for a while now. Some people had issuse with the Thai manager and have stopped going in there. Maybe a bit busier now that the International bar has closed.

Paddy'd Irish Bar is usually quite busy. Normally opens about 1pm and pretty much stays open until the last man leaves. This is a good venue for watching late night sport. You'll need to get a Tuk Tuk or motorbike to take you. Maybe a good idea to get his phone number so you can call him to come and pick you up.

Speed is Ok but only just. I personally find it too loud.

That's pretty much Buriram. It's a good place to live and the locals are friendly.

Maybe MSingh may like to come up and have a look too.

The Vong Tong Hotel is nearest to the bus station The Threepraton has a good pool for day time The Paddys bar is good for a few beers and some falang to chat with.The bamboo is further in the town but friendly staff and close to the bars if you like the music bars and yes a coyote bar.If you need female company there are plenty available just ask a local falang enjoy your trip.

Thanks Poochuay, Siam hotel sounds good. Got a number? I tried googling without much luck.

The reason for my late arrival is i dont finish work on thursday til about 5pm so i have to take an evening bus or train, i believe the last one is about 11pm so either way i'll be arriving in the early hours of friday morning.

the Grand and Thai hotels were mentiioned on a 3 year old thread on thaivisa and in a 5 year old Lonely planet guide. They didnt mention that there were anymore hotels, hence my apprehension.

Nakhon Chai Air from Mo Chit 2. Don't mess around with that train. I'm sure you can call and ask what the hotel rate will be. In my experience in Thailand, checking in early in the middle of the night (i.e. 2am, 3am) will not get you any discount. You'll be paying as if you checked in 10 hours before.

BTW, the Thepnakkorn does have a decent pool and a soapy but there's nothing to look at there. You best chance of meeting a nice local lasse is on the street with Speed. Bamboo will provide some decent eats as i recall.

You don't need to go to Mor Chit to get the Nackornchai Air bus. They have their own bus terminal about 2km down the road. Good ticketing booth and a nice air conditioned departure lounge.

If you finish work at 5pm what time can you get to the bus station? There is a bus that leaves around 6pm. That should get you into Buriram at about 23:30.

:D

Nakhon Chai Air from Mo Chit 2. Don't mess around with that train.

To me the train is the perfect option, can get on the sleeper in BKK.. have some food, few beers and the a good night sleep on a proper bed. Get into surin around 5-6 am nice and refreshed.

http://www.railway.c...s/northeast.gif

totster :D

Thats the trouble with the sleeper the original poster wants to go to Buriram and not SURIN :D

I have taken the "super express train" from and to Buriram from Bangkok about six times. But ever since my first of ten trips via the NCA bus there is no going back on the ROUGH, DIRTY, jostling train (and I had always taken he best non sleeper train) when NCA makes it easy to reserve and pick a seat, pay at 7-11, be treated with respect and arrive without an ancient train breaking down or the a/c not working. Better on board toilets, way more polite staff, and a world apart form the other Bus lines in my experience. Book and Bed is an excellent Thai/Western restaurant directly across the street from the Muang Pizza restaurant. Both of those restaurants have good staff, excellent food at fair prices. They are both not far from the bus station. Departing from the NCA newly remodeled bus station is easy, no need to go to MoChit. The NCA bus is less money, faster, way more comfortable on your body, better on board staff, more dependable, cleaner toilets on board and at the Bangkok station,and with 8 runs each way each day you will be better served than the train in your trip to and from Buriram in my opinion.

I have taken the "super express train" from and to Buriram from Bangkok about six times. But ever since my first of ten trips via the NCA bus there is no going back on the ROUGH, DIRTY, jostling train (and I had always taken he best non sleeper train) when NCA makes it easy to reserve and pick a seat, pay at 7-11, be treated with respect and arrive without an ancient train breaking down or the a/c not working. Better on board toilets, way more polite staff, and a world apart form the other Bus lines in my experience. Book and Bed is an excellent Thai/Western restaurant directly across the street from the Muang Pizza restaurant. Both of those restaurants have good staff, excellent food at fair prices. They are both not far from the bus station. Departing from the NCA newly remodeled bus station is easy, no need to go to MoChit. The NCA bus is less money, faster, way more comfortable on your body, better on board staff, more dependable, cleaner toilets on board and at the Bangkok station,and with 8 runs each way each day you will be better served than the train in your trip to and from Buriram in my opinion.

Sounds good Bob, so what does NCA stand for? Where are they based? How do I see a timetable? How do I pay at 711? Where do they leave from?

Sorry for all the questions but you've got me interested.