Your Experiences And Advise Dealing With Thai Management.

livinthailandos

1. Poor comparsions of differences example comparing hotel business model and restaurant business model and saying everything is exactly the same and there is no difference between the 2 business models on image, service, making money, qualifications of employee's or salary differences

2. Satisfied with how the business is running even though business does not meet industry standards in regards to image and service

3. Does interact or involve themselve in the business. Spends most of the time not working

4. Many staff openly critize the person behind their back when their not around which happens a lot since the person is not even at the office most of the time

5. Says openly they can do everything and every position, but when it comes time to get things done, has to have other people do the work since this person doesn't actually know how to do it.

6. Wants to do renovation without design or taking into effect proper infrastructure needs

7. Says many things that don't even make common sense

to everyone out there is this typical thai management style or am I just unforunate to have this type of person has a boss. to everyone out there I really look forward to hearing about your experiences dealing with thai management and advise on how to deal with thai management

It is common in some management, sure...especially the kind that think they are privileged or deserve the position due to blood-band... have some stories but since even my former boss got a threat to his life when he didn't show 'them' the 'proper' respect I am kinda wary to share too much details...

The real question is does he meet his customers requirements ? Does the business make money ?

As my company regularly recruits a lot of smart ass like you, my answer is " Why don't you just live your job, cross the street and open you own business ? You're so smart, it shouldn't take long before you take over his customers, right ?

I think your #2 tells you what to do: keep working and accept it or change jobs.

No matter what industry or what country you are in, I think you find satisfying the boss is your primary job. He didn't hire you to do otherwise.

With some bosses, it will be acceptable to offer constructive criticism. With some, it will not. And your #1 implies he is not open to suggestions, so you have two options, stay or leave.

If you don't like it and you can, you should leave. If you have no other options, stay until you do.

This is (to me) not a universal management style or there would be no really successful business in Thailand, and there obviously are. And, yes, I do personally know of some.

EDIT: I just read what I posted and it sounded critical of you and that is not my intent. I wanted to say you were unluckily enough to end up in such a situation. It is not a universal one over here, just happens to be the one you got stuck with this time. It is too bad after a boss interviews you that you can't then interview his employees to see what you are getting into.

Good luck.

Edited by noise

Any one of these things pointed out by the OP could be applied to just about any country on earth. Nothing specific or exclusive to Thailand - although no doubt this kind of management style exists here, it is not necessarily the norm. You need to get out a bit more Buddy.

"Don't confuse management with leadership or you will be disappointed"

Any one of these things pointed out by the OP could be applied to just about any country on earth. Nothing specific or exclusive to Thailand - although no doubt this kind of management style exists here, it is not necessarily the norm. You need to get out a bit more Buddy.

"Don't confuse management with leadership or you will be disappointed"

There are unique Thai (or even Asian) managerial traits that can be discussed without having an MBA in International Business

Keep working and except what comes out of there mouths. or leave and find a new job.

I have been there and done that, within two months I walked. I thought the guy and his wife were clueless about how to run a restaurant. I tried to get them out of the management and let me do it for them but they thought they could do better. sure enough after 6 months they closed down and went back to there jobs. this was about 8 years ago. the biggest problem for me was it was all family staff, they just wanted a farang chef to look good I think. I couldnt tell the staff shit without being dragged into the office.

I remember I was so pissed off one night that I told all the kitchen staff to sit in the corner and watch how it is done. I then cooked A La Carte starters, mains and desserts for over 70 covers in a two hour period alone. that shut the pricks up, I left a couple of days after that and let them get on with it themselves.

Difficult to answer without knowing the roles of both parties or the type of company the OP works for.

Is the OP here on say a 2 year contact for a large MNC as part of a learning curve before relocating or is here here on a permanent basis?

Does the OP and his manager have clearly defined roles withing the company with a list of objectives for each role?

Are there regular in house Head Of Department meetings where problems can be addressed?

If I was the OP I would cover my ass by keeping a diary of events, does the OP have a farang higher up the food chain both parties report to?

Dont expect your coworkers to back you up.

Depending on the relationship with his manager I would approach it in the following manner.

Speak to the boss and tell him you may have a problem and need his help, give him 2 or 3 choices which will all produce the same results, let him think its his decision but gently point him in the right direction.

A favoured tactic by managers who dont have a clue is to ask, well what would you do in this situation?

Is the boss in the position because of family name, dont expect these managers to be in position based on knowledge qualifications or experience, is the OP in his position to act as some sort of babysitter for his boss?

Always leave these people a way out, if the shit hits the fan they will blame you, the farang didnt tell me there was a problem, or the farang didnt tell me what to do are two prime examples of refusing to accept responsiblilty.

Who monitors the OPs performance, is he appraised each year and given a set of targets, is his salary performance based?

Is the OP given the chance to explain to higher management why he is unable to achieve his goals.

Is the OP given a free hand just to get on with the job and let his boss take the limelight or is the boss restricting both the OP and the companys objectives?

At the end of the day there are many who wish they had a boss that spent most of his time at the golf course.

is there such a thing as Thai Management, i recently compalined to CEO of tesco about bad service, they sent area director from banagkok and store director to see me, we met up for lunch, all going well no mention of my gripes, so i got my list out and asked about why no trolley in stores, check out ques of over 16 people, isles blocked off with pallets, chicken that smelt rotten. they could only say check out staff were all uni grads but had problems recruiting, how much a month do you pay, 6k a month, i asked would they work for that answer was no. they did not have clue about management..

I have worked with canadians, brits, aussies, Germans and Thais that all fit into your points.

They are the bosses and it is your job as a manager to managed their expectations.

Actually I find it's easier here when dealing with a Thai. Just say yes, smile and agree. Very little accountability.