Proof Of Income

johnmcc6

I am coming to Thailand soon on a 90 day non immigrant visa for 90 days. I plan on applying for a retirement visa when I arrive in January. I have pensions coming from Australia..Germany and the U S. I know I must have embassy confirmation of the amounts , translate them etc but what I would appreciate knowing is can this be done while in Chiangmai or must it be done in Bangkok where the various consulate's are?

You'd probably do better asking this on the visa forum but for what it's worth, you don't need to get confirmation of income from each source, only from your own county's consulate or embassy so you should ask them what they need to provide a certificate. There are a limited number of consulates in CM (US, China, UK, maybe some others that I have forgotten) so if you need to get proof of income and your country is not represented here you should ask them if a personal appearance is required.

Given the costs and hassle of obtaining proof of income (which depend on your nationality but could certainly add up if travel and translation are involved) keeping the 800,000 baht on deposit here may not be such a bad proposition if you have it available.

I think he is Australian which means he would have to visit the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

There is an Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai with limited duties. Maybe they will issue.

Australian Consulate

Jinda Charoen Konsong

236 Chiangmai-Doi Saket Road

Amphur Sansai

Chiang Mai, THAILAND

Telephone: (66 53) 492 480

Facsimile: (66 53) 492 426

I am a US citizen most of my income is from Canada. All I do is go to the US Consulate here in Chiang Mai and get a proof of income.

I can not speak for other countries but you don't have to go to the Embassy in Bangkok the Consulate here in Chiang Mai is adequate. B)

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will have the 800,000 for a start so I can check out the details later as required. I have the proper Australian confirmation which is the largest of the three . Thanks again,

Cheers,

John

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will have the 800,000 for a start so I can check out the details later as required. I have the proper Australian confirmation which is the largest of the three . Thanks again,

Cheers,

John

Not sure about the 800,000 Baht.

I had heard it had to be in the bank for a set period of time. Not sure but I believe it has to be in a Thai bank. You should be able to Google the information.

Welcome

If you have 800,000 THB it needs to be in a bankaccount in Thailand fro 2 months 2 first time and at least 3 months for every next extension.

No need for a letter from your embassy, you only need a copy of your bank book (udated the same day or the day before) and a leter from the bank confirming your income.

Make sure that you have the money wired from overseas. Sometimes CM immigration can be a pain. One time (out of many) they wanted proof that the money came from overseas. I had carried cash in but they wanted proof. I did end up convincing them, but it was a hassle. Perhaps it won't be an issue anymore but it took me an extra few hours waiting at immigration.

If you have 800,000 THB it needs to be in a bankaccount in Thailand fro 2 months 2 first time and at least 3 months for every next extension.

No need for a letter from your embassy, you only need a copy of your bank book (udated the same day or the day before) and a leter from the bank confirming your income.

What are the requirements on income if you have the 800,000 Baht in the bank?

I didn't realize there was any.

What are the requirements on income if you have the 800,000 Baht in the bank?

I didn't realize there was any.

No there aren't. The poster must have meant a letter from the bank confirming that the 800,000baht has been in your account for at least 2 months (for the first time). Income irelevant.

If you live off that 800,000 baht and then have to have money transferred into country 9 months later to deposit 3 months before renewing your visa, why not just get the proof of income letter and only transfer monies in as you need/want them?

Of course, if you don't have the required level of income, then I understand why you might keep the stated amount in reserve. But if you do have the income.....?

If you live off that 800,000 baht and then have to have money transferred into country 9 months later to deposit 3 months before renewing your visa, why not just get the proof of income letter and only transfer monies in as you need/want them?

Of course, if you don't have the required level of income, then I understand why you might keep the stated amount in reserve. But if you do have the income.....?

Just to fill out the details of the above suggestion :

You can always use the combined income/bank statement.

From Police order 777/2551:

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

Edited by Asmerom

Can the applicant use fixed income from his US based investments to qualify for the "income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month"?

In the abscence of more infomed opinion than mine, I can't see why there should be any problem, provided that you have the proof of income letterr from your Embassy. It's income isn't it.

But if you do have the income.....?

Just to fill out the details of the above suggestion :

I guess my real question (addressed to those who fit this situation) was why do some retirees, who have the income, go through the routine of transferring monies into the bank every year, having to make sure it is there by a certain date, and then getting the bank letter within one day of reporting to immigration? These are the people who deposit the money, get the visa extension, and then do something with the money. Next year they have to do it all over again.

Having done it both ways, it seem so much easier to just get the income statement some days before expecting to go to immigration and not having to deal with the bank at all. No worries about does the bank book show a wire transfer in from overseas (as some posters have said they have to show) or questions about the source, etc.

Obviously, my question does not apply to someone who does not have the total pension income required and must use the pension + cash option.

Can the applicant use fixed income from his US based investments to qualify for the "income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month"?

No proof of any sort required, assuming you are American.

You just go to the American consulate and swear you have the income........ your word is enough (Americans don't lie)

Edited by sarahsbloke

I guess my real question (addressed to those who fit this situation) was why do some retirees, who have the income, go through the routine of transferring monies into the bank every year, having to make sure it is there by a certain date, and then getting the bank letter within one day of reporting to immigration? These are the people who deposit the money, get the visa extension, and then do something with the money. Next year they have to do it all over again.

Because it depends what nationality you are.

If you are English the consulate charges you a lot for any paperwork and wants to check everything.

If you are English the consulate charges you a lot for any paperwork and wants to check everything.

I'm curious, what does the British consulate charge?

The US consulate now charging an unreasonably $50 for 5 minutes of their time to notarize their "proof" of income form.

I'm curious, what does the British consulate charge?

The US consulate now charging an unreasonably $50 for 5 minutes of their time to notarize their "proof" of income form.

In February of 2010 it was 2088baht payable to the British Embassy. I've just re- checked their website ---it's gone up to 2315baht

Edited by Asmerom

Since we can all prove we have the pensions we claim to have, checking your claim seems like nothing to worry about. Therefore, are you saying that rather than pay the 2300 baht for the service some people find it worth the time, effort, transfer fees, and exchange rates to move the equivalent of 800,000 baht into Thailand 90 days before the visa renewal?

Again, my question is about/aimed at the people who have the pension(s) but use the cash method and then spend the cash and then have to start all over again at the end of each visa year.