Poisoning Fish

Nawtier

Sorry, but why do you want to kill the fish?

might be more economical and ecological to call in a bunch of thai guys to catch all the fish, transfer or eat.... unless they are all diseased?.... then to get lots of dead poisoned fish out of a pond and make sure humans and animals dont eat them... usually physical (capture) methods are better then dumping poison in a pond... also, reptiles, mammals drink fromt eh water... u water plants with the water... rethink or give us better details of teh why factor?

bina

israel

For sure .Thais certainly know how to net a pond,completely emptying it of all life. I still cannot fathom a reason ad to why the O.P. wants to go the poison route. He must have one, but it is beyond me. Given the residual damage done.

It does raise a few questions ... like, Is it his pond?

Have you thought about pumping out the pond? With a local barbecue and party? :D (loads of Brownie points there)

'Or, getting your local "rocket man" (we've all got one) to make you up a couple of waterproof packages........and.....BANG. Gosh, you could sell tickets and the TV rights to that event. :) This is Thailand. Never waste a good opportunity.

Regards.

This is a perfectly reasonable request. Indeed, I was searching the Internet for the same answer several months ago. I wanted to rid my pond of all predatory fish before stocking it with Tilapia fingerlings.

There is a root (can’t recall what it is called at this moment) that is quite commonly available in many countries, which is sufficiently poisonous to all fish but perfectly safe for human consumption of those same fish. A neighbouring villager thought he had a similar root but it didn’t kill a single fish in my pond so I presume he was wrong (he had never tried it himself).

Netting never removes all fish.

Precisely.....a voice of reason.

We have had the local fishing experts in with countless numbers of nets over last 2 days....but their efforts were very disappointing and surprising.....they could not catch jack.

Mind you, not that easy a pond to try in, but none the less, they caught maybe 10 fish all day long today and there is plenty in there.

Want to clean it out totally, so if anyone knows anything to use...please advise.

Not necessarily the right time of year to be doing this, but pumping it dry first, and then removing all life does work. I am surprised that netting failed. I am not an angler, a few friends are. They are upset , because the Thais netted three of their favourite fishing spots, completely emptying them. I know of no chemicals that are safe to use. I don't know where you live ,but many provinces do have a Fishery Research Station.,Maybe ,try and track one of them down, and ask for advice.

A old wall mount crank telephone with batteries will stun fish, assuming you do not have access to electrical source. and they can be dip netted out. You will probably have to make several settings to cover the length of the pond.

Any detention device (water proof) that will sink to the bottom prior to firing will stun those further away and make mince meat out of those close (the latter will not float)

I know what to use and it's safe but i'm not telling...LOL...^_^

Sure you do....

It's a taboo word and i'm sensitive to that word :huh:...i won't even give you a hint , no offence...it cost 200 THB per kg and i use it for pond clearing after every harvest.

If you're interested, PM me...

It's a taboo word and i'm sensitive to that word :huh:...

If you're interested, PM me...

Do you break out in a rash after using it ?

If i was not interested, I would not have started this thread.

If you wish to share it...pm me.....ta

No...i don't break out in a rash after using it...the thing is, this is a control item for fish farmer, not something you can get your hands on for a casual recreation pond, if this falls in the wrong hands for wrong intention, like sabotage, it will cause massive damage in monetary terms...

Sorry, i'm not sharing it, your loss....ta~

Edited by RedBullHorn

RedBullHorn, I can’t follow your logic here. There are a great many chemicals that could be put in your pond in an act of sabotage – not only whichever particular chemical you are protecting. Most of these chemicals would not be used by the OP since the water could possibly require to be pumped out to rid it of the poison, and some are too dangerous (Health & Safety wise) for a person unskilled in their use.

The OP wants a chemical that will rid his pond of its current occupants without requiring a change of water whilst ensuring that the poison is short lived so not to pose a risk to future fish. It would be a bonus, I’m sure the OP would agree, if the poisoned fish could still be consumed by humans.

Given that your publication of the chemical you have would not, in fact, increase the risk to you or other pond owners (me included) for the reasons I’ve stated, why not just publish?

By the way, I’m no longer interested in this for myself since I’ve already started re-stocking my pond.

Khonwan, i'll bite your bait...:D

This chemical is unlike other chemical, first it stunt the fishes, you can collect the fishes and place them in new water, they'll survive and it will be safe for consumption...if not, it will be dead in under 10 min....and unlike other chemical, it require no water change to rid it, it totally degenerate and evaporate under the sun in 5-7 days...

No logic intended, just treating arrogant with cockiness. :whistling:

If someone could help me when i most needed, i'd say "Please~" ;)

Edited by RedBullHorn

Secret blown, me thinks. I assumed it was hang lai and now I’m convinced since this plant does everything exactly as you have described. I had written the following already and was about to post it when I saw your reply:

I was told that the root I used was from the plant “hang lai” (AKA “hang lai daeng”) but it could not have been since I saw fish happily swimming amongst the roots which I had attached to some floats. Then again, perhaps it wasn’t effective because I failed to grind the roots. The person who grew it and provided the roots to me had never tried it on fish.

Hang lai is the Thai name for Derris elliptica, a plant containing rotenone, which is highly toxic to fish but safe for humans. The fish float to the surface and are then easily removed.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derris

Memory is sometimes good when you are old. I have heard the old timers talk about rotenoil use to catch fish in ponds. Have no idea what other uses it has but they swore it worked. Might be derived from the plant mentioned by khonwan.Only hands on experience is prima cord but we wont go into that.

Yes, rotenone is derived from this plant but not exclusively. Primarily used as an effective insecticide. I probably did use the right plant but unfortunately followed the grower’s advice (though he had never tried it) to float it rather than crush the roots. I think it is quite common in forests.

Yes, rotenone is derived from this plant but not exclusively. Primarily used as an effective insecticide. I probably did use the right plant but unfortunately followed the grower's advice (though he had never tried it) to float it rather than crush the roots. I think it is quite common in forests.

Thai/chinese name for rotenone is;

โล่ติ๊ง pronounce Lo-Tink , very effective in a small area. When I was a kid I used to get it from a Chinese medicine/herb shop

RedBull....your secret is safe with you....carry on.

Thanks for the info to the other more usefull guys, the ones that don't feel the need to play secret society games like tosspot here.

Is this plants roots available anywhere in particular ??

Aussie; another almost forgotten method, the cutting torches used mentioned material in a powder form if memory serves correctly. If I did not know better I would guess that the various suggestions were being offered by the old poachers back home who were waiting on a good batch of moonshine to run off and needed some spending money. They had fuel for the truck as they were pulling drip from the wells for that. The fish harvest was a good intermediate cash crop.

Nope...secret intact... it's not a root... :lol:

Well it doesn’t make any difference since Hang Lai does EXACTLY the same – can’t see what you have to smile about since the perceived risk that you are so worried about is also exactly the same. But I do feel that it is very childish to post in a forum, which is all about trying to spread knowledge, that you have a solution but won’t tell anyone. Next time you have a secret you don’t want to share, do yourself a favour and don’t tell anyone!

RedBull....your secret is safe with you....carry on.

Thanks for the info to the other more usefull guys, the ones that don't feel the need to play secret society games like tosspot here.

Is this plants roots available anywhere in particular ??

Ask your Thai neighbours for Don Hang Lai. Use only the root. Probably easier to locate if you are near a forest...I think.