The Self Analysis Topic...or....

chownah

I wish that I could claim to have had this great idea for a self analysis (with Thailand relevance) topic, but this idea came from another member who is too timid to do it. If it turns out to be a great success I'll reveal the member's name later. So...here goes...Where I lived in farangland I was misunderstood most of my life. I just saw things differently than other people and alot of my ideas weren't relevant by most people's standards. When I decided to move to Thailand and people asked me why I told them that I was so misunderstood that I wanted to live in a place where there was a good reason for it. They just laughed....misunderstood to the end....

OK, you be the shrink, analyze yourself and tell your story right here on the internet for all the world to see.

All my life I've done some things only to please others. Some of them have been of benefit to me but others have practically ruined my life. You can never turn back the time and make changes but sometimes you can be forgiven for being a bit selfish and doing what you really want to do for yourself. I really want to come and live in Thailand and hopefully will one day soon. It's what I really want to do but, of course, there are people around me with their arms folded telling me it's not what I should be thinking about. I don't know what I'm going to do in LOS yet which is why I'm still sat here in my office crunching numbers, but, this time I'm just going to raise my hand and say "I'm going. Goodbye"

Edited by zaz

You want members to undertake self directed phsyco- analaysis and then post their findings here?

Nothing so difficult...just something you see about yourself that you learned by thinking about how your life is or why you like or hate to do something....something like that. I don't care if its Thailand related but my post was so I hope that keeps the moderators happy.....also zaz posted as Thai related so hooray...the mods should be happy.

When I lived in UK, I lived a life that was expected of me.

I was never happy with working my nuts off for 25 years just to own a house. I do not value my life by my material possesions.

I always thought differently to my friends and family.

When I was 33 years I had a holiday in Thailand.

I saw the chance to live the life I had always wanted.

When I was young in the Uk, I treated life as an adventure. I enjoyed life. I had fun.

Then I grew up. Not such an adventeur, didn't enjoy life so much, not so much fun.

Figured that my idea of a good life did,t tally well with so many other's.

I had grown up, but how do you grow down again??

Move to Thailand. I may be 49 years old. In the Uk I feel more like 69.

Thailand, your age doesn't matter. Sometimes I want to be Peter Pan.

Anyway have to sign off now, the man in the white coat's coming back :o:D:D:D:D:D

Guest endure

I first visited Thailand in 1993 and, like a lot of other folks, fell in love with the place. I decided straightaway I wanted to live there and was psyching myself up to make the move without much idea of what I was going to do when 1995 arrived and things went off the boil. I still visited every year. 10 years later I'm much nearer retirement and have a bit more money in the bank. April 6th next year sees a fundamental change in the pension law in the UK which will give me more income so the plan is to wait until then and make the move. I suspect I shall just pack up and go when Ive had enough. I don't do plans very well. Can't wait :o

I wish that I could claim to have had this great idea for a self analysis (with Thailand relevance) topic, but this idea came from another member who is too timid to do it.  If it turns out to be a great success I'll reveal the member's name later.  So...here goes...Where I lived in farangland I was misunderstood most of my life.  I just saw things differently than other people and alot of my ideas weren't relevant by most people's standards.  When I decided to move to Thailand and people asked me why I told them that I was so misunderstood that I wanted to live in a place where there was a good reason for it.  They just laughed....misunderstood to the end....

OK, you be the shrink, analyze yourself and tell your story right here on the internet for all the world to see.

Mine was quite simple ..... seeing all the people living in UK unhappy but justifying their lives by comparing themselves with others less fortunate, I decided I would not compromise on the quality of my life and sought to find a place that has the kind of environment I wanted and here I am!!!

Chownah, did you forget to take your meds today? :o

Actually, I want to live in Thailand just for a change. Life in the states boring now after I retired. I think learning a different culture and language will keep my mind active. It's a huge plus the cost of living is so much lower than the USA. And to be able to help an entire family (the GF's) for not a lot of money is a reward in itself.

zaz - you're where I was.......I took the plunge! Two months in LOS and I'm going back soon!

My situation is somewhat similar to Thetyim's...

When I lived in Australia, I lived a life that was expected of me.

I was never happy with working my nuts off for 20 years just to own a house.

I worked long hours and often far from home on rotational work to earn enough money to provide a good house and a good education for my children.

I do not value my life by my material possesions.

I always thought differently to my friends and family.

This ultimately led to separation and subsequent divorce.

4 years ago I accepted a temporary assignment in Thailand.

I saw the chance to live the life I had always wanted.

At the conclusion of the assignment I returned to Australia, but yearned to return to Thailand.

I did everything in my power to get back... it paid off, and now I am happily working and living in Thailand.

I am where I should be... and I am who I should be... and I couldn't be happier.

:o

My father had the same job for 35 years and hated it almost every day...he did it because it was secure even though the pay was low and there was no chance of moving up. After he retired I was visiting one day and found that he was cleaning out the basement and throwing away lots of stuff. He had kept his lunch box that he used to haul his lunch when he was working and he gave it to me as a present. I graciously accepted it and kept it for years. It was a great reminder to never sell your soul for a job.

It was a great reminder to never sell your soul for a job.

Fortunately for you and for some of the rest of us, we have not been in that position.

Choice, and the financial ability to make a choice, has been an luxurious option for our generation that our fathers and grandfathers sometimes have not had.

/Edit - and I thank my father for giving me the ability to choose.

Edited by Jai Dee

I've always thought on a different plane to most people yet I've taken it the wrong way many times when people have commented on me being different to the 'norm'.

Once, in Melbourne, I had an IQ test and the doc told me that if it was much higher then I'd be in a straight jacket.

This infomation as a teenager, or even a few years earlier would have had me boasting to everyone about it but instead I became extreemly depressed and drank myself silly for three days, missing my bus to Sydney.

It was confirmation that my mind will always be 'activly dispersed' as it was put and that I am a complete nutter, albeit a nice one - but I desperatly wanted to fit in all my life.

Thailand was the best thing that happened to me, as was my current job, and by being among like minded and similar people, I have got the love and recognition I always wanted from fame, something I always sought in the U.K. but never got because I didn't try hard enough and was terrified of rejection.

These days I am (mostly) appreciated for who I am and now that I am accepted I enjoy life more and people enjoy my company more.

I still think too much at times and I occasionally get a little down but generally I am ok and can fit in with people very well - unless they are smoking weed.

I could live anywhere and make the most of it. It doesnt have to be here or my home country. I like Thailand, but many countries are great. I just happen to want to stay with my wife, so thats why Im here.

In Aus, I was successfull and I was a "millionaire" at 29 - self made. All my family left me with, was debt. I was broke at 30 and owed money, so I looked for a place that was up and coming and landed in Phuket. It had nothing to do with girls or climate as both of those topics were easily had at "home". I came here to make money pure and simple. If I hadnt met my wife, I would probably be living somewhere else.

I´ll be there in about 24 years, if life will still be cheaper there than in the western world, as I´m naturally born lazy and can quit working then by the age of 55.I hope that 37 years saving for pension will be enough to enjoy life with my wife then.