Australian Great Escape.

Oh dear raining again.........what a bummer. And do you know what the great thing is? The Aussies can't whinge about the weather, cause if it wasn't for the rain they would be three one down already. Poetic justice. Even though, I'd still like to see it played out. The umpireing continues to be atrocious though.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The umpireing continues to be atrocious though.

what can be done about a deaf umpire? Kursten missed two faint edges in Englands innings and to my memory didn't hear about 3 in Oz last summer. (for both sides) Apart from that he's one of the best. Time to use the 2nd or 3rd ump to assist? I believe Billy gave a riddiculous decision on the last wicket to even up.

The umpireing continues to be atrocious though.

what can be done about a deaf umpire? Kursten missed two faint edges in Englands innings and to my memory didn't hear about 3 in Oz last summer. (for both sides) Apart from that he's one of the best. Time to use the 2nd or 3rd ump to assist? I believe Billy gave a riddiculous decision on the last wicket to even up.

Yeah; it's funny that nobody said anything . Just took it for granted even though it was the last wicket.

And just to cap it all, in the rain break they showed Kevin Pieterson beat Australia in the one day tournement. Oh exctasy, oh wonderful. I havn't seen that one. I think it might be getting near that time to pay back with interest all the insults we have suffered before this series began. Mind you, I don't think anyones told the youngster yet that a whitewash means to win all five. He's still convinced we're gonna get a whitewash. Earwig Oh, earwig Oh, earwig Oh.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:o

More rain follows Hayden century

Fifth Test, The Oval, day three:

England 373 v Australia 243-1

Aussie Matthew Hayden became the second centurion of the innings before rain stopped play yet again on the third evening of the decisive Ashes Test.

Australia were 243-1 - 130 runs behind England - with Justin Langer the man out, bowled by Steve Harmison for 105.

Hayden was unbeaten on 101, his 21st century and first since July last year, with skipper Ricky Ponting 20 not out.

England, needing only a draw to regain the Ashes, were not complaining that just 32.5 overs have been possible.

FIFTH TEST - MATCH SUMMARY (The Oval, Day 4): LUNCH

England 373 v Australia 356-6

Andrew Flintoff and Matthew Hoggard combined for four wickets to ruin Australia's hopes of building a large total in the fifth Ashes Test.

Flintoff dismissed Damien Martyn, Matthew Hayden lbw for 138 and then Simon Katich during the fourth morning.

And Hoggard had Adam Gilchrist lbw for 23 to leave the tourists 356-6 at lunch, still 16 runs behind.

Michael Clarke had an early scare when he was was dropped on three by Flintoff at second slip off Hoggard.

Even I'm shell-shocked. The Australians could not even match Englands first innings total. Well,well,well. England ripped through the Aussie line up today like a knife through butter. Can Warnie do the same to us. He's certainly good enough given the chance. Bad light or rain has stopped again though. Still a cliff hanger.

For the record:

FIFTH TEST - MATCH SUMMARY (The Oval, Day 4):

England 373 & 34-1 v Australia 367

Bad light stops play

England's chances of securing a draw that would win them the Ashes series gained a boost when bad light again interrupted day four at The Oval.

Michael Vaughan and Marcus Trescothick took the hosts to 34-1, a lead of 40, before a second break.

Andrew Flintoff had earlier taken 5-78, including Matthew Hayden lbw for 138, and Matthew Hoggard claimed four victims to bowl Australia out for 367.

But Shane Warne hit back, dismissing Andrew Strauss with his fourth ball.

For the record:

Bad light stops play

England's chances of securing a draw that would win them the Ashes series gained a boost when bad light again interrupted day four at The Oval.

Michael Vaughan and Marcus Trescothick took the hosts to 34-1, a lead of 40, before a second break.

Andrew Flintoff had earlier taken 5-78, including Matthew Hayden lbw for 138, and Matthew Hoggard claimed four victims to bowl Australia out for 367.

Wrong Thomas.

" Australia's nightmare of losing another match received a boost when England were forced off the field again. Sporting A FIRST INNINGS LEAD, England lost an early wicket, but as Strauss ezxplained later. ' I got a ton in the first inninings,it's someone elses turn' "

For the record:

Bad light stops play

Wrong Thomas.

" Australia's nightmare of losing another match received a boost when England were forced off the field again. Sporting A FIRST INNINGS LEAD, England lost an early wicket, but as Strauss ezxplained later. ' I got a ton in the first inninings,it's someone elses turn' "

Rarely wrong, often mistaken...excuse me, a minuit, while I just put this bottle in the fridge for tomorrow.

England set sights on Ashes glory

Fifth Test, The Oval, day four:

England have their sights set on a draw that would win them the Ashes series, after day four of the deciding fifth Test was ruined by bad light.

The hosts were 34-1, aiming to bat out the final day and beat Australia in a series for the first time in 18 years.

The wicket, which came at 1410 BST, was the champion leg-spinner's 167th Ashes wicket, tying Dennis Lillee's record.

But Warne appeared set to be on a losing side in an Ashes series for the first time in his storied career as all but 30 minutes of the rest of the day was lost.

For the record:

Bad light stops play

Wrong Thomas.

Rarely wrong, often mistaken...excuse me, a minuit, while I just put this bottle in the fridge for tomorrow.

England have their sights set on a draw that would win them the Ashes series, after day four of the deciding fifth Test was ruined by bad light.

The hosts were 34-1, aiming to bat out the final day and beat Australia in a series for the first time in 18 years.

The wicket, which came at 1410 BST, was the champion leg-spinner's 167th Ashes wicket, tying Dennis Lillee's record.

But Warne appeared set to be on a losing side in an Ashes series for the first time in his storied career as all but 30 minutes of the rest of the day was lost.

After 3 very close games (and 1 thrashing) what a pity the weather buggered up the chance for these sides to fight it out to the finish in the last game. England will win the Ashes tonight. :D , but what a series! How important were those 2 runs in the 2nd test and the 3 wickets in the 4th. Congratulations you pommy bastards! :o

For the record:

Bad light stops play

Wrong Thomas.

After 3 very close games (and 1 thrashing) what a pity the weather buggered up the chance for these sides to fight it out to the finish in the last game. England will win the Ashes tonight. :D , but what a series! How important were those 2 runs in the 2nd test and the 3 wickets in the 4th. Congratulations you pommy bastards! :o

Hope your congratulations are not the kiss of death!

Anything could (and has) happen in these matches.

If Australia lose, it will be a sad day. Not only will they have been beaten by a better side, but quite clearly this Aussie side, despite the Genius, is not as good as previous.

No other Aussie side would have been over 0-100 and finished up below the oppositions first innings total.

BTW if you do win, I'm taking everything back.

At stumps today I'm on a flight to Greece, so take care, Old Croc, 'til the next competition.

2005-07-19 10:23:05

May England win -

The Australians will grovel

On this, the final day, just wanted to remind you off a quote I made on page 1, back on July 19th.

In 8 hours the Ashes are ours. This was always inevitable - from the very beginning.

Don't speak too soon. We can still lose it :D

Indeed we can still lose it! :D !

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...... :o

If we leave the Aussies with less than 200 to make and more than 3 hours to bat it could well end in disaster!!!!! :D

Congratulations England!! :o The Ashes are yours again for the first time since 1987. This tour has been responsible for a huge surge in the popularity of cricket in England and indeed around the world. Watching the fans hanging from the rooftops around the ground says it all. :D

It's not all bad for Oz either. It has been a bit easy and monotonous for some players, selectors and fans for about the last decade. This is a real wakeup call and signals a beginning of the changing of the guard. (I think I even heard Richie Benaud saying thanks for the memories a little while ago!)

The parties will be in full swing in dodgerland and across the planet as far as Surin. :D

Congratulations England!! :D  The Ashes are yours again for the first time since 1987. This tour has been responsible for a huge surge in the popularity of cricket in England and indeed around the world. Watching the fans hanging from the rooftops around the ground says it all. :D

It's not all bad for Oz either. It has been a bit easy and monotonous for some players, selectors and fans for about the last decade. This is a real wakeup call and signals a beginning of the changing of the guard. (I think I even heard Richie Benaud saying thanks for the memories a little while ago!)

The parties will be in full swing in dodgerland and across the planet as far as Surin.  :D

Aw thanks Croc.....brings a tear to the old eye :o

Congratulations to the England team ,they were too good, suspect Aus selectors will be burning plenty of midnight oil before the next series v England in a years time.

Sad to lose but the re-emergence of England can only do good for World Cricket in the future. :o

Congratulations to the England team ,they were too good, suspect Aus selectors will be burning plenty of midnight oil before the next series v England in a years time.

Sad to lose but the re-emergence of England can only do good for World Cricket in the future. :o

To be quite honest with you Ozzy, your whole team did pretty well in the face of such a bowling attack as England have got now. You only really had one under achiever, and that was your Captain. Some of the descisions he made were appalling. For instance if he had brought Warne on for the start of Englands second innings in the fourth test, it might have been a different kettle of fish. As it was we just scrapped home and Kasprovitch( who I think opened the bowling ) gave away 30 runs in 3 or 4 overs. Warne's still magic, but only if you don't know how to play him. He intimidates. The only other thing I can say against Australia is that you were all crowing about how good McGrath is. OK. Fair enough. But you must have a back up bowler or two. Apart from that good scrap. Lee came of age the hard way. Tait, well he's got a lot to learn. See you next ashes tour down under. And pop in for another beer sometime Ozzy

Yep Lampy, hind-sight is always 100% .The number one fault with Oz cricket has always been its reluctance to blood young players,its easier to get in the team than out of it,they pick teams on experience not performance, it just happened that to many of their stars hit a mediocre patch at the same time whereas usually if one is on a bad run there are others to pick up the baton.

The post mortems will leave blood on the floor and questions like why wasnt MacGill given a run or how Kasper was selected in the first place.

In fairness to Ponting, he may have made a boo boo or two but many pre match decisions are consultative ones between the captain,coach and senior players plus I think he only one the toss once put them behind the eight ball when your playing on wickets prepared by the host nation.

But there is a lesson in getting beat by a better team and if Cricket Australia learn and act on that lesson it can only mean we can look forward to better matches in the future.

We are prob moving over to Esaan in the near future Lampy so will be a lot closer to enjoy your hospitality more regularly .