Australian Great Escape.

Much as I love rugby – I was brought up with it – had it injected in my blood – would sell my soul to be able to play again; there is no sporting spectacle to compare with a five-day cricket test match between two nations whose only ambition for those 5 days is the annihilation of their opponents.

5-days - no other game of team sport is played or so long. In no other game of team sport can fortunes twist and change so dramatically, teasing players and supporters, often until the final minutes before victory, or even a draw is declared.

Uninitiates to the chess-like complexities of the game will never understand the passions unleashed as Australia and England play a series, the winning of which is rewarded by a pile of burnt wood – and the Glory!

Thursday is the day this spectacle starts and I can’t wait.

May the best team win.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May the best team win

May England win - and they would for sure if Geoffrey Boycott was playing.

The Australians will grovel.

If boycott was still playing they would make it a 10 day test.the first 5 days would be for him to get off nought, then one of his team mates would run him out so the game could get on normally for the next 5. :o

May the best team win

May England win - and they would for sure if Geoffrey Boycott was playing.

The Australians will grovel.

I just hope he's not commentating this season.

You just about need sub titles to understand him.

Edited by COBBER

Is it on the box?

Channel 4 has live coverage in the UK

2005 TV SCHEDULE

npower Test series v Australia

1st Test Lord's: 21-25 July

Start of play: 1030

Date Live coverage Highlights

Thu 21 July 10:00 19:35

Fri 22 July 10:00 00:35 (Sat)

Sat 23 July 10:25 00:10 (Sun)

Sun 24 July 10:00 01:20 (Mon)

Mon 25 July 10:00 23:45

Personally I loathe cricket, its oh so BORING

Are England any good? Are Aussies better, or maybee Mexico?

Give me my English Premier League World Cup, anything that means that you can get your thrills over 90 minutes (or 80 in Rugby) although I dont really care for that sport either.

I really cannot understand the attraction of Cricket.

Golf may be even slower but the personalities are awesome

Cheers (bring down the wrath of God if you like)

TP

Much as I love rugby – I was brought up with it – had it injected in my blood – would sell my soul to be able to play again; there is no sporting spectacle to compare with a five-day cricket test match between two nations whose only ambition for those 5 days is the annihilation of their opponents.

5-days - no other game of team sport is played or so long. In no other game of team sport can fortunes twist and change so dramatically, teasing players and supporters, often until the final minutes before victory, or even a draw is declared.

Uninitiates to the chess-like complexities of the game will never understand the passions unleashed as Australia and England play a series, the winning of which is rewarded by a pile of burnt wood – and the Glory!

May the best team win.

AHHHH...U HAVE TO LIKE CRICKET, COZ ITS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES IN SPORT THAT ANY OF UR NATIONAL TEAMS GET A CHANCE TO COMPETE AT AN ELITE LEVEL.....

U SOUND LIKE PRO FART !!

Edited by Siam_superfly

LONDON - Shane Warne, the Australian leg-spinner who has tormented England's cricketers for 12 years, admits his marriage breakdown may distract him at times during the Ashes series.

And Warne said his off-field troubles, which include last month's split from Simone, his wife of almost 10 years, might hasten his retirement from cricket - although he would not specify why or when he planned to finish.

Test cricket's leading wicket-taker is hopeful he can again shelve his personal dramas for his side's Ashes defence, which starts in the first test beginning at Lord's tomorrow, but accepts personal anguish at his marriage bust might make his job tougher.

"There will probably be periods, hopefully there's not, but human nature takes over," Warne said.

"I look back over the years when I've had things in my personal life that none of you guys [media] knew about, times when things have happened and you have to try and play cricket and deal with them as well.

"Generally the tougher the situation, the better I respond.

"But nothing like this has ever happened in my life before and it's not the way I wanted it to be."

How Warne responds on-field to his marriage split following recent sex scandals will be answered during the hotly-awaited series between the world's top two-ranked test nations.

Warne, 35, who has 583 test wickets and has taken 89 in three previous Ashes tours, vowed to concentrate on his cricket and "be there for" his team-mates.

"That's my job. As much as I see it as a hobby and a love and a passion, it is my job," he said. "I have to turn up every day no matter what and perform the best I can."

Warne said he had received great support from team-mates since joining them for the test series.

"They've all been very supportive of me and I think they're enjoying having me back, contrary to what some people think."

As he enters his final Ashes series in England - and possibly one of his last international tours - Warne is under increasing pressure to sustain his magic against England.

Years of bowling and a raft of injuries have curtailed much of his arsenal, and former England captain Nasser Hussain recently claimed Warne was nowhere near the bowler he was a decade ago.

Warne "couldn't give a rat's" about others' opinions, and pointed to his record since he returned from a one-year drugs ban, having taken 92 wickets in his last 16 tests, including success in Sri Lanka and India, and against Pakistan.

"I have had my [equal second] most successful year, so I must be doing something right.

"If I am no good any more I suppose I wouldn't be getting those results," he said.

Warne conceded it was impossible for him to be at his best physical condition because of previous shoulder and finger operations.

Although he now relies on his big-turning leg break as his most potent wicket-taking delivery, some other weapons could return.

He will bowl more wrong 'uns this series and is also working on reintroducing his flipper.

"I am about two good flippers out of five.

"Once it gets to three you will see it in the test match but at the moment I probably won't bowl it."

Warne was tinged with sadness at the thought this would be his last test series in England, although he said opponents like Andrew Flintoff, Steve Harmison and Kevin Pietersen made for a great contest.

"The question of whether I am good enough ... you weigh that up after five tests," he said.

On how the trials of his private life would affect his playing future, he said: "I definitely think it will make me play shorter."

- AAP

May the best team win.

AHHHH...U HAVE TO LIKE CRICKET, COZ ITS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES IN SPORT THAT ANY OF UR NATIONAL TEAMS GET A CHANCE to COMPETE AT AN ELITE LEVEL.....

U SOUND LIKE PRO FART !!

Could you shout a little louder - can't quite hear you.

May the best team win.

AHHHH...U HAVE TO LIKE CRICKET, COZ ITS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES IN SPORT THAT ANY OF UR NATIONAL TEAMS GET A CHANCE to COMPETE AT AN ELITE LEVEL.....

U SOUND LIKE PRO FART !!

THEN U SHOULD GET UR HEAD OUT OF UR ARSE !!!

May the best team win.

U SOUND LIKE PRO FART !!

THEN U SHOULD GET UR HEAD OUT OF UR ARSE !!!

No need to shout mate. :o

Is it on the box?

Channel 4 has live coverage in the UK

2005 TV SCHEDULE

npower Test series v Australia

1st Test Lord's: 21-25 July

Start of play: 1030

Date Live coverage Highlights

Thu 21 July 10:00 19:35

Fri 22 July 10:00 00:35 (Sat)

Sat 23 July 10:25 00:10 (Sun)

Sun 24 July 10:00 01:20 (Mon)

Mon 25 July 10:00 23:45

Thanks for the info,but as this is a Thailand forum,about Thailand, I meant is it on the box in THAILAND.

I get a very fussy picture from channel 4 in Pattaya

Thanks for the info,but as this is a Thailand forum,about Thailand, I meant is it on the box in THAILAND.

Someone has already stated that it is 'Pay for View' on UBC 300B for 1 test or 1000B for the series

Someone has already stated that it is 'Pay for View' on UBC 300B for 1 test or 1000B for the series

I am showing the whole series in my air-conditioned upstairs lounge on giant screen Television. Although I already know in advance that the same number of people who turned up to watch the one day series, which I also showed live, will turn up to watch this sporting feast. Zilch. None. Not a single person. Funny old lot in Surin. Same with all the Lions tests, everyone was downstairs watching in the bar,complaining they could not see it properly, and that it was too hot, and I was upstairs watching in the cool on my own. Maybe no-one likes me. Boo-hooooooo.Still I will be watching, and if no-one else comes I'll use the viewing card at home.

I am showing the whole series in my air-conditioned upstairs lounge on giant screen Television. Although I already know in advance that the same number of people who turned up to watch the one day series, which I also showed live, will turn up to watch this sporting feast. Zilch. None. Not a single person. Funny old lot in Surin. Same with all the Lions tests, everyone was downstairs watching in the bar,complaining they could not see it properly, and that it was too hot, and I was upstairs watching in the cool on my own. Maybe no-one likes me. Boo-hooooooo.Still I will be watching, and if no-one else comes I'll use the viewing card at home.

Oh Lamps...... :o Yorky will turn up...if the piss is at half price. :D

and I was upstairs watching in the cool on my own. Maybe no-one likes me. Boo-hooooooo.Still I will be watching, and if no-one else comes I'll use the viewing card at home.

Its called soap and deodorant Lamps :o:D:D

and I was upstairs watching in the cool on my own. Maybe no-one likes me. Boo-hooooooo.Still I will be watching, and if no-one else comes I'll use the viewing card at home.

Its called soap and deodorant Lamps :o  :D  :D

Don't you start..........I have enough with my bloody missus. She starts complaining I smell when I come out the shower. :D

If boycott was still playing they would make it a 10 day test.the first 5 days would be for him to get off nought, then one of his team mates would run him out so the game could get on normally for the next 5. :o

Many years ago, during an ashes test at the WACA, I was sitting with some mates and a lot of beers at the Perth Sheraton discussing G. Boycott in much this manner. I had the shock of my life when the man himself reared up from the next booth and gave me a huge blast of Yorkshire invective from close range! I had forgotten the Poms were staying at that hotel.

Bring on the great game, who needs sleep!

Many years ago, during an ashes test at the WACA, I was sitting with some mates and a lot of beers at the Perth Sheraton discussing G. Boycott in much this manner. I had the shock of my life when the man himself reared up from the next booth and gave me a huge blast of Yorkshire invective from close range! I had forgotten the Poms were staying at that hotel.

Bring on the great game, who needs sleep!

Boycott did for Cricket what Cliff Thorburn did for snooker.

The series starts tonight. Good luck to both sides.

If Australia continues their decades long stranglehold on the Ashes contest wouldn't it be just and appropriate for England to actually relinquish their grip on the trophy - the Ashes Urn? In a fit of pique and bad sportsmanship not seen since the days of the New York Yacht Club changing the rules in attempts to retain the Americas Cup, the MCC refuses to hand over the trophy.

They claim if the valuable artifact was to travel to Australia it would somehow fall apart and crumble to dust and therefore should remain on display at Lords to their considerable advantage.

Oh well, chill the Chang (or in my case Hahn Premium) and settle down on the couch to watch Glen McGrath take his 500 test wicket!

Poms' $1.5m Ashes carrot

14:04 AEST Thu Jul 21 2005

AAP

England's cricketers have another incentive to try to wrestle back the Ashes from Australia - a $1.5 million cash bonus if they can win the five-match Test series.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has dangled the enormous carrot, and if successful, Michael Vaughan and his players and coaching staff could each pocket about $80,000 on top of their ECB contracts and match payments.

The first Test starts at Lord's on Thursday.

While team bonuses are not new, the massive incentive is one of the biggest offered to a national side.

It is 10 times the sum given to India's team from its cricket board for beating arch-rivals Pakistan in a three-Test series last year.

Cricket Australia has not offered a similar incentive, and a team spokesman said there would be no bonuses for the team even if it completed a ninth-straight Ashes series victory.

Instead Australia's motivation could come from its group of superstars, who are nearing the end of their international careers and will not tour England again.

Instead Australia's motivation could come from its group of superstars, who are nearing the end of their international careers and will not tour England again.

It's started. Second ball we got Justin Langer. Not his wicket though just his elbow.

Fifth ball Hayden missed by Jones on naught. End of over nine off it.

Hey! I thought this was the test match.

Edited by lampard10

It's started. Second ball we got Justin Langer. Not his wicket though just his elbow.

Fifth ball Hayden missed by Jones on naught. End of over nine off it.

Hey! I thought this was the test match.

Dunno if they are still in one-day mode or there,s afew loose balls getting tossed up :o