My Situation

Dear Incumbent Bhuddhas of TV (Thai visas, residency and work permits diocese)

After reading great replies to similar topic posted by 'MikeOKitches' {a suggested troll - God/ Allah/ Buddha/ Freddie Mercury forbid!} I am hoping that the forum could enlighten me with their wise counsel.

Basically wondering if any advantage to me of have a 60 day tourist visa or continue with 30 day visa exemptions.

My position is thus...

- I have an Australian passport.

- I am 47 years old.

- I don't have much money by farang (falang?) standards.

- Married to my Thai wife for 3 years and planning many more years (My ATM never had funds - a good test of the likely longevity of a relationship. Hah-sip% tongue in cheek}

- Life for the last 4 years has consisted of 2 1/2 weeks in LOS, 1/2 week in KL, 1 week in Singapore then start again. Occasional brief trips home to OZ or to Europe. Always done 30 day exemption thingy on arrival. You know - the nice man or lady stamps my passport and puts another bl*^dy staple in my passport!

- Have a note from local police in 'outback' Thailand stating I live there. Obtained this to get car and bike licenses. And I'm a wizard on the Rote Thai Na (forgive spelling).

- Only once in around 100 flights have I had a problem with rarely having an onward ticket out of Thailand at check-in. Long-hauls excepted. I know ways around this now with experience.

Hope this history suffices.

- Would a 60 day tourist visa limit the number of times I leave the Kingdom?

- Is there any risk of refusal at Immigration with continuing 30 day exemptions? I've never been given a 2nd glance. Is that normal or or has some karmic power bought luck my way?

- What are the pros and cons?

Sure there's a 'banking forum', but to impose once more... and probably relevant to preceding queries... really need a local Visa gebit card, primarily to buy flights online. Can? Don't want a credit card. My wife opened an account with me in my name at Bangkok Bank. Got a strange card on the spot but my name not on it and no raised lettering. Name is 'Be1st Valued Customer' Says 'for electronic use only'.

Thanking you in advance,

Andrew.

You really should obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa during one of your trips. It is very easy to obtain in Oz or Europe. That way you have what a person with a Thai wife normally has and much easier to take care of legal matters (such as bank accounts) when you have a non immigrant entry. But as you say normally no issue with 30 day entry by air except airlines.

Believe the Be1st is for ATM or point of sale use so you may be able to use at a travel agency to buy tickets but don't believe can be used on-line. I never use for anything but ATM.

Thank you lopburi3.

Is there any restriction re: how many times I leave the Kingdom?

You say easy to obtain from Oz or Europe. A visit there is often rare for me. Can I do from LOS, Malaysia or Singapore?

NeverDie tried to teach me how to reply properly with quotes, but alas... Please forgive.

You really should obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa during one of your trips. It is very easy to obtain in Oz or Europe. That way you have what a person with a Thai wife normally has and much easier to take care of legal matters (such as bank accounts) when you have a non immigrant entry. But as you say normally no issue with 30 day entry by air except airlines.

Believe the Be1st is for ATM or point of sale use so you may be able to use at a travel agency to buy tickets but don't believe can be used on-line. I never use for anything but ATM.

No need to apologise for "nosy" Sidjameson.

We all have different circumstances.

By working my freckled butt off like a 'colour-impaired person' for a week each month in Singapore I can subsist in LOS(1-star! ) for the remainder. Stay with clients in Sing. so no hotel bills, have a bicycle there and am the proud owner of a bus card to get around the island. Treat myself to a taxi to and from Changi as I fly (budget) with a heavy swag of luggage and tools. If I eat out it's usually at a $3 hawker stall (large bottle Tiger beer $5.30SGD - yen yen! - Mc Lovin' It!) Admit to having done Raffles a couple of times. No-one's perfect.

Sure my life appears to be blessed.

'Nosy' might be similar to 'enquiring' - can't be a bad thing.

Sorry for only being nosy :)

But anyone who can afford to fly every month and stay in Singapore for a week has probably more than the median income of foreigners living in Thailand.

Edited by andrew55

The Be 1st ATM card is a Visa debit card, in the hand of a Thai, withdrawal limit is up to a ceiling of 200'000 THB, minimum 50'000 THB. Better than the normal Bangkok Bank blue colour ATM card which is capped at 25'000 THB per day... but in the hand of a foreigner the ceiling is only 50'000 THB ( still better than the normal ATM card)

Thanks RedBullHorn. Can I buy online with it? Mine is blue and white.

The Be 1st ATM card is a Visa debit card, in the hand of a Thai, withdrawal limit is up to a ceiling of 200'000 THB, minimum 50'000 THB. Better than the normal Bangkok Bank blue colour ATM card which is capped at 25'000 THB per day... but in the hand of a foreigner the ceiling is only 50'000 THB ( still better than the normal ATM card)

Edited by andrew55

No you can't buy things online with it but you can pay with it for purchases just like a credit card in Big C or Tesco for Point-Of-Sale transactions, being a debit card it will deduct from your account instantly.

Edited by RedBullHorn

As the multi entry non immigrant visa is valid for one year you would not need to travel often to obtain it and you can make as many entries during the year as you like. For local issue KL has a set policy of issue if you can show 100k in a bank account along with the marriage certificate and wife ID card/home register. Other places may issue but most will only provide a single entry expecting you to extend at Immigration using the 400k in bank or 40k income method.

No you can't buy things online with it but you can pay with it for purchases just like a credit card in Big C or Tesco for Point-Of-Sale transactions, being a debit card it will deduct from your account instantly.

I have the B1st Card and I am not Thai , I have used it for upto 200k and I can and have used it online without problem. There is no name on the card but if you enter the name (if required by an online facility) the same as on your bank book it works no problem.

I have the B1st Card and I am not Thai , I have used it for upto 200k and I can and have used it online without problem. There is no name on the card but if you enter the name (if required by an online facility) the same as on your bank book it works no problem.

My mistake on the online part, i couldn't use it on some web site for purchases, i just try another web site and it works !... hmm...i scatched my head wondering why...nevermind, as long as i can get what i wanted. B)

But i still can't get the bank to up it to 200K THB, i'm stuck at 50K THB because i hold a non-immigrant O visa, that's what they said :annoyed:

Edited by RedBullHorn

There is no three digit number on my card so not sure how you can use it online. As for the OP not sure about his with no name as mine does have my name on it. Perhaps in his wife's name?

The blue and white Be1st card has the 3 digit at the back, could yours be the normal just blue colour "Bualuang" ATM card ?

As the multi entry non immigrant visa is valid for one year you would not need to travel often to obtain it and you can make as many entries during the year as you like. For local issue KL has a set policy of issue if you can show 100k in a bank account along with the marriage certificate and wife ID card/home register. Other places may issue but most will only provide a single entry expecting you to extend at Immigration using the 400k in bank or 40k income method.

Thanks lopburi3.

I still need to travel each month as it is for work rather than visa requirements. No limit to entries? Great. Have 100k in bank but think not easy to show the 400k. Are you saying if I apply for multi entry non immigrant visa at Thai embassy in KL that the 100k will suffice? The income of 40k would also be difficult to show. If you have link to info and procedure do forum rules allow you to post here or pm me? Otherwise I'll have to extract the digit and look myself.

Visa card update - Yes works ATM and POS. Not able to use for online purchases such as flights. Have to get a different one. Might ask advice as to best debit visa for buying flights etc online in relevant section of TV.

Andrew

Do I need onward tickets with this visa? Sorry if silly question, but sillier not to ask.

No, you don't need an onward ticket with any visa

Right. I forgot that the stamp on arrival is not a visa. Sharp as a sack of wet leather. Ta

Be1st is a Debit Card and can be used for any purchase in Thailand, stores, on-line, etc.

You do need to jump through a few hoops on the phone to get it authorized for on-line use ........ I got the instructions for this when I bought my first 'Nok Air' flight on-line, took about 5 mins.