Rights Group Slams Thai-Myanmar Refugee 'Ping Pong'

webfact

Rights group slams Thai-Myanmar refugee 'ping pong'

BANGKOK, December 5, 2010 (AFP) - Thailand must stop treating refugees fleeing conflict in eastern Myanmar as "human ping pong balls" who are returned to their home country prematurely, a top rights group warned Sunday.

Since fighting erupted in November more than 20,000 people have escaped across the border to Thailand, and while many returned within days, refugees continue to flee renewed conflict, said a Human Rights Watch (HRW) statement.

An election on November 7 has done nothing to change the Myanmar army's tactics of "terrorising" civilians, who need expanded protection when they seek refuge in Thailand, according to HRW deputy Asia director Elaine Pearson.

"People fleeing conflict in Burma are being treated like human ping pong balls -- reluctantly allowed into Thailand when fighting flares, but then returned to Burma (Myanmar) at the first sign of quiet," said Pearson.

"Thailand should not return refugees until the risk to them in Burma truly ends, but should allow them to stay in safe areas away from the border with access to protection services and assistance from humanitarian agencies."

Tensions soared in Myanmar on polling day when Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) ethnic rebels occupied Myawaddy town in Karen state, sparking a state army counter-attack and a mass exodus of civilians into Thailand.

Subsequent sporadic fighting at several points along the border, with state troops conducting a major build-up in the area, has caused continued displacement.

"Sadly, so far neither side in the recent fighting has shown much regard for the civilians caught in the crossfire," said Pearson, adding that they suffered from indiscriminate shelling and rights abuses such as forced labour.

Civil war has wracked parts of Myanmar since its independence in 1948, although most insurgent groups -- who seek more autonomy and rights -- have agreed to ceasefires with the junta.

Military-ruled since 1962, Myanmar barred swathes of ethnic minorities from taking part in last month's vote -- the country's first in 20 years, which was widely derided by Western nations.

Ahead of the poll, the regime pressured armed movements to give up their weapons or come under state control -- a move most resisted, sparking fears of renewed conflict.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-12-05

Truly a sad situaation any way you look at it.

It would be nice if Thailand could give them all permant residency but the truth is most of them don't want it they just want the fighting to go away.

Yes it is true they are being treated like ping pong balls but how much can Thailand do it is not as if there was no full to over flowing refuge camps here. I had heard up to 32 of them.

Perhaps international support would help. International condemnation (and rightfully so) is not working.Time to put there money where there mouth is.:(

The Myanmar people have to right to be in Thailand. We must NOT allow them to enter unless they have a valid visa. Even a visa does not guarantee entrance, it only allows a foreign to apply for an entry. I learn this while applying for a US visa. Needless to say, my US visa application is rejected, because I am a working woman and still single.

The Myanmar people have to right to be in Thailand. We must NOT allow them to enter unless they have a valid visa. Even a visa does not guarantee entrance, it only allows a foreign to apply for an entry. I learn this while applying for a US visa. Needless to say, my US visa application is rejected, because I am a working woman and still single.

Khun Plengrudee, it is sad you don't have compassion for people less fortunate than yourself but I understand the stupidity of the US (and other countries) Visa application culling.

But on this topic, these people are displaced and it would be so simple to have BOI set up a decentralised industrial zone and allow these people to earn their keep whilst waiting for an outcome - no different to people standing in line each day for piece meal jobs. Many Thai's are not willing to work on menial jobs yet the Burmese would be grateful for anything and they are not looking for handouts and as you and I know, Thailand is far more attractive for a home and safe environment against the military junta in Burma. They can be in security premises and they can be gainfully employed at preferential rates and monitored by the Thai Govt thus no strain or stress o the community.

As a word of advice for your US visa, have a reason for being there and not just a tourist stamp. Try for education status and acceptance letter from an educational institution and you may find the visa is easy to obtain.

Cheers

These people are displaced and it would be so simple to have US set up a decentralised industrial zone and allow these people to earn their keep whilst waiting for an outcome in Californa or somewhere - no different to people standing in line each day for piece meal jobs. Many American's are not willing to work on menial jobs yet the Burmese would be grateful for anything and they are not looking for handouts and as you and I know, USA is far more attractive for a home and safe environment against the military junta in Burma. They can be in security premises and they can be gainfully employed at preferential rates and monitored by the US Govt thus no strain or stress o the community. . . . . . My point is, if you have pity on them, take them. Don't ask someone else.

They're not looking for a new home, they have a home already. They are running from fighting. They live next to Thailand so that's where they run, they can't run to the USA. When armies start fighting in your town you can't apply for a visa, you just have to run. What do you want the Thai army to do? Shoot them?

I don't think it's a good idea to give them work and settle in Thailand but they need to be safe from the fighting and not killed just because they live on the wrong side of a line on a map.

<br />They're not looking for a new home, they have a home already. They are running from fighting. They live next to Thailand so that's where they run, they can't run to the USA. When armies start fighting in your town you can't apply for a visa, you just have to run. What do you want the Thai army to do? Shoot them?<br />I don't think it's a good idea to give them work and settle in Thailand but they need to be safe from the fighting and not killed just because they live on the wrong side of a line on a map.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Agree, but matters may be worse than we are being told. Rumours from "usually reliable sources" in the north west of Thailand speak of extra Thai guards on and near refugee camps - and land mines being installed just inside the border in Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son provinces.

Soon, it may not only be elephants hobbling into Thailand with shredded legs.

Of course, I hope and pray this info is utterly wrong.

Yeah, I would imagine we only get to hear half the truth if we're lucky!

I can kind of understand why the Thai military would need to be at some kind of state of readiness, fighting does have a tendency to spread and often in the heat of battle, borders can be ignored.

I hope the landmines thing isn't true, they're awful things!

I was commenting largely in response to the visa issue, refugees are just that, refugees fleeing from death and destruction. There's often chaos and confusion in the border areas when this kind of thing happens and especially with paramilitary outfits, it's easy for fighters to get mixed up with civilians, which could lead to accusations from the government in Myanmar of harbouring 'terrorists' so Thailand needs to be careful but also needs to provide refuge to those in need.

I've not heard anything from my g/f's family up near the Golden Triangle. How far into Myanmar is the fighting?

If USA can set a private jet with the capacity of 20 just to fly Bout (one man)? Why can't US send a dozen B52 to pick up these refugees. Being next to Myanmar is no excuse. Cuba is next to USA (20 miles apart I think), yet they American show no mercy when boat people turn up. How many death wash ashore in Florida a year? And I suspect not many of them die of voluntary drowning.

Why should the USA take refugees from Myanmar?

What has the USA got to do with any of this?

I understand you're upset because you didn't get a visa to go there, they probably wouldn't give me one either, but I don't understand why you think they should be involved in this at all!

What they do or don't do with people that try to get into their country has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening on the border between Thailand and Myanmar.

The fact is that people are running away from fighting, they don't want to die, so they run to the nearest border, which is Thailand.

When your neighbours run to your house and ask you for help because someone is trying to kill them you don't turn them away because they don't have the right paperwork, you help them so they don't die.

Imagine, for a moment, that you live in Myanmar, near the Thai border. Bad people with guns come to your village and start shooting...what would you do? Go and get a visa and go on holiday? Call Washington and ask for a B52 bomber? No, you'd grab your children and run for your life. You'd run somewhere you would be safe, where the people are decent and will help you.

Here's something that someone said once, you may have heard of him, his image is in the Wat near your home, possibly in your house itself and maybe even around your neck...

"Rahula, practice loving kindness to overcome anger. Loving kindness has the capacity to bring happiness to others without demanding anything in return.

Practice compassion to overcome cruelty. Compassion has the capacity to remove the suffering of others without expecting anything in return.

Practice sympathetic joy to overcome hatred. Sympathetic joy arises when one rejoices over the happiness of others and wishes others well-being and success.

Practice non-attachment to overcome prejudice. Non-attachment is the way of looking at all things openly and equally. This is because that is. Myself and others are not separate. Do not reject one thing only to chase after another.

I call these the four immeasurables. Practice them and you will become a refreshing source of vitality and happiness for others."

Edited by bifftastic

My point is, if you have pity on them, take them. Don't ask someone else.

Agree, actually. UN loves to "Decry" Thailand's treatment of migrants. But do any of these countries offer to pay to help them? No.

You are incorrect. Foreign governments support many of the NGO groups that work in the refugee camps and, for example, some foreign governments also provide financial support, either directly or indirectly, to Dr. Cynthia's Mae Tao clinic in Mae Sot. There are even thousands of Burmese families that have been resettled in western countries over the past several years. In my own home town region here in the US we now have several hundred refugee families relocated from the camps such as Mae La. And agencies such as the IRC are relocating more families as we speak.

The recent groups fleeing the fighting are only seeking temporary shelter from the fighting, and we are talking real bullets flying through the air here. They are happy to return once the fighting had clearly ended, but not immediately after one of the all too common temporary cease fires. How Ms. Piengrudee relates this to her being denied a US visa is a bit baffling although I have shared your frustration of single women being denied US visas when trying to arrange for my in-laws to come over for a visit. I suspect the process is still a bit rigged in favor of certain Bangkok social circles, but that is a separate issue from that of these internally displaced people. You need take some time off from your work to spend a few months as a Mae Chii and develop some karuna, rather than seek a visa to the US where that trait of compassion is even further lacking.

Rumours from "usually reliable sources" in the north west of Thailand speak of extra Thai guards on and near refugee camps - and land mines being installed just inside the border in Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son provinces.

The land mines in Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Song are probably just rumors and nothing else, but I traveled the 105 between Mae Sariang and Mae Sot last month and there was a slight increase in Thai military checkpoints along that border road.