Tv Home Theatre System

kenny999

Just got my Toshiba 40" tv with Phillips home theatre system which is just fantastic, my question is when it is loud you can hear the people talking clearly but when you have it down low that is not the case, is there something to add to cure this problem or is this system designed to be used loudly. obviously you have to be mindfull of the neighbours with to much noise.

A good receiver will have night mode or other term for dialogue normalization.. Look in the settings for something of that sort of name, night mode, dynamic range control, etc etc..

Usually this mode will just compress the range so you dont get such loud high volume effects but sometimes its a combo of that and ++ to the center channel.

It could be one of the audio DSP modes you are using (the surround modes), which accentuate the volumes of the surround speakers, given that vocals - as the central focus - will mainly emit from the front (centre) speaker. Try changing the modes. Alternatively, increase the volume of your centre speaker. Depending on youer system, you may be able to achieve this with an individual volume control on your remote, or you may have to go to the setup menu. In the latter case, the setup is intended to balance speaker volumes by reference to the distance of each speaker from the audience, however you can achieve your desired effect by increasing the amplitude of the centre speaker or inputting that speaker as being the maximum distance away and the other speakers as being the minimum distance away. It's unfortunate, because it really is a matter of one speaker (with the main vocal track) competing against 4 or 6 other speakers with their music and miscellaneous surround sounds.

While properly balanced speaker settings are fine at loudish volumes, it makes it difficult to hear the main vocal track at low volumes (as you have discovered). In my case, I find it easiest to watch normal TV programming in 2.1 (stereo) mode and movies, etc in surround mode.

It could be one of the audio DSP modes you are using (the surround modes), which accentuate the volumes of the surround speakers, given that vocals - as the central focus - will mainly emit from the front (centre) speaker. Try changing the modes. Alternatively, increase the volume of your centre speaker. Depending on youer system, you may be able to achieve this with an individual volume control on your remote, or you may have to go to the setup menu. In the latter case, the setup is intended to balance speaker volumes by reference to the distance of each speaker from the audience, however you can achieve your desired effect by increasing the amplitude of the centre speaker or inputting that speaker as being the maximum distance away and the other speakers as being the minimum distance away. It's unfortunate, because it really is a matter of one speaker (with the main vocal track) competing against 4 or 6 other speakers with their music and miscellaneous surround sounds.

While properly balanced speaker settings are fine at loudish volumes, it makes it difficult to hear the main vocal track at low volumes (as you have discovered). In my case, I find it easiest to watch normal TV programming in 2.1 (stereo) mode and movies, etc in surround mode.

Thanks for the reply I will go back to Home Pro and see if they can show me how to increase the volume of the central speaker, if I try to do it myself I will get into all sorts of trouble not being a technical person. if there were no neighbours there would not be a problem.

I am not a technical person either but i have found by decreasing the bass and increasing the

treble it makes the speech easier to hear against the background noise in movies etc

Okay all the menu is in Thai so will have to go back and find out how to change to English, have found in the English booklet a section on sound, there is a voice enhancement option but again cant get to it because all in Thai.

I am not a technical person either but i have found by decreasing the bass and increasing the

treble it makes the speech easier to hear against the background noise in movies etc

Okay all the menu is in Thai so will have to go back and find out how to change to English, have found in the English booklet a section on sound, there is a voice enhancement option but again cant get to it because all in Thai.

Best of luck.

Maybe ask a Thai Neighbor

Living where we are Thai is always the default setting for remotes & I am sure you will be able to easily navigate once you have it changed to English. Did you buy the Philips wall system home theatre? I have heard it in Home Pro & it sounds pretty good. Is the Toshiba LED or LCD? I hope to buy a new TV soon but generally I favour Samsung or Philips when it comes to LED.

Have sorted it out now, a simple fix, adjusted the volume on the TV as well as the Video told you I was not technical!! Toshiba LCD amazing, Phillips - 2 towers plus 3 speakers and one bass box sound is awsome and just like being in the cinama, don't think my neighbours will like me very much if I have it to loud.