Driving In Flip Flops

Buff-horns

I watched astonished last week as my neighbour crashed his new car into a tree!

he climbed out hobbling around in a pair of flip flips and pointed to them as being the cause! If the tree hadnt been in the way he could have smashed up someones car or worse run someone down ..

and we now have a bulletin saying flip flops are risky for drivers.

Now we all now how many Thai drivers wear flip flops to drive tuktuks, trucks and buses and cars , so you wonder how many crashes may be attributable to flipflops and greasy sweaty feet ?

Flip flops could put drivers at risk:-

LONDON | August 07, 2005 7:11:42 AM IST

Flip flops, beach footwear typically worn in hot weather, can put drivers at risk of an accident, according to research by a British insurance company.

The Sun reported the sole of the flip flop, worn by millions, can easily get stuck under the gas or brake pedal of an automobile, and cause a fatal accident, according to insurance company Norwich Union, which conducted the survey.

Footwear such as flip flops are dangerous as the sole can get caught under a pedal, said Craig Martin, spokesman for Norwich Union. The absence of ankle support can lead to the foot slipping off the pedal altogether.

A gossip columnist for the Daily Star said she experienced a close call, while driving on the highway wearing designer flip flops.

The sole of the footwear got stuck under the brake pedal and she missed another car by inches, reported Sky News.

(UPI)

source:skynews.com

I wear me flip flops when riding the motorbike... shouldn't really I know but .. hey

Haven't had any problems as yet..(touch wood) *touches head*, oh apart from burning my big toe on exhaust pipe... yeah I know Som Num Naa.. :o

totster :D

wearing em saved my ass in a pattaya go kart when the accelarator got stuck down on a long str8 (this was after the steering wheel had fallen off in the first cart they put me in :o ), just managed to unjam it in time by pushin the flip flop underneath the pedal.. Wouldnt have managed the same wearing trainers/shoes :D

I nearly had a acceident a few months back due to my right flip flop getting stuck under the accelerator and unable to bring it across to the break pedal (auto) but managed to turn the car enought to just miss a car at a T junction

(NO MORE DRIVING WITH FLIP FLOPS FOR ME)

The footless ones begging in the markets didn't all step on mines, some of them instinctively put down a foam rubber shod foot to stop a spill.

Just imagine the heat from road friction travelling up your leg as the bone gets ground down by the asphalt. :o

cv

The footless ones begging in the markets didn't all step on mines, some of them instinctively put down a foam rubber shod foot to stop a spill.

Just imagine the heat from road friction travelling up your leg as the bone gets ground down by the asphalt.  :o

cv

shocked3.gif

I nearly had a acceident a few months back due to my right flip flop getting stuck under the accelerator and unable to bring it across to the break pedal (auto) but managed to turn the car enought to just miss a car at a T junction

(NO MORE DRIVING WITH FLIP FLOPS FOR ME)

Almost exactly the same happened to me back in UK 30 odd years ago. Part of the sandal stuck under the throttle. Luckily it was not auto so I could brake with my left foot (almost went through the windshield). Never driven in any form of open shoes since.