Hello All

nagasaki

I would just like to say that this is a great resource for people like myself from outside Thailand who want to know more, and would like to thank all who take the time to post here

I suspect I am a typical example of people who come to Thailand, early 40s male from UK, no real ties, worked hard for 25 years averagely well off in UK terms, all down to house price increase, very well off in Thai terms, think lets have a holiday get to Thailand and just went WOW, Paradise found! hopefully with the ability to look at it from a sensible viewpoint, seems to me that some parts of Thailand are only just on this side of the sanity line, and you realy do need to stay on the right side of it. have been twice in last year, am going again for a month in November, and touring around a bit

So after a lot of thought regarding spending more time in LOS. I realy did consider giving it all up in UK and doing the teaching but not for to long, investing any real money in the place is a definite no-no, bit of a no brainer that one.

have come to the conclusion that for me the best way to do it is to have a lifestyle in UK (I do like UK and am proud to be british, but in middle of winter it can get wearisome) that allows me to work 6-8 months a year and 'Winter' in LOS, and hopefully get best of all worlds

be nice to know what you think of my thoughts, perhaps if your in a similar position to me it has given you ideas, which is what this site to me is all about

Ken

Nice intro, lot of people here in that similar situation. You might want to have posted this up in the New Members section at the top of the page though.

Perhaps a kindly mod could move it up there for him? :D

seems to me that some parts of Thailand are only just on this side of the sanity line

Always keep away from the madness dude. :o

:D

I would just like to say that this is a great resource for people like myself from outside Thailand who want to know more, and would like to thank all who take the time to post here

I suspect I am a typical example of people who come to Thailand, early 40s male from UK, no real ties, worked hard for 25 years averagely well off in UK terms, all down to house price increase, very well off in Thai terms, think lets have a holiday get to Thailand and just went WOW, Paradise found! hopefully with the ability to look at it from a sensible viewpoint, seems to me that some parts of Thailand are only just on this side of the sanity line, and you realy do need to stay on the right side of it. have been twice in last year, am going again for a month in November, and touring around a bit

So after a lot of thought regarding spending more time in LOS. I realy did consider giving it all up in UK and doing the teaching but not for to long, investing any real money in the place is a definite no-no, bit of a no brainer that one.

have come to the conclusion that for me the best way to do it is to have a lifestyle in UK (I do like UK and am proud to be british, but in middle of winter it can get wearisome) that allows me to work 6-8 months a year and 'Winter' in LOS, and hopefully get best of all worlds

be nice to know what you think of my thoughts, perhaps if your in a similar position to me it has given you ideas, which is what this site to me is all about

Ken

why oh why is Thailand called LOS by farang, it is boring, please stop.

but to reply, if you can do what you say (6-8 months work etc) then you are very lucky. Quite a few guys seem to be able to do that, and have a lot of fun and a good life too.

you can rent a place for the whole year, maybe at a cost of say, 60 squids (no pound key) a month, so can keep your stuff there and live easily each time.

why oh why is Thailand called LOS by farang, it is boring, please stop
cos qiicker than typing Thailand and definitely quicker than Land of S......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :o
why oh why oh why do people use the word squids for UK currency?

:D:D

Yes, I started 4 months Los, 8 months working Uk

But everytime extended the 4 months, so ended up 6 months.

Every year got harder to return to Uk

Now I go to Uk for holiday. :D

I have a feeling that you may well find the same, once Thailand gets under your skin you will start to think of it as home and Uk a place to visit.

Good luck and enjoy :D