Christmas Dinner 2010

venturalaw

The Garden (across from the Inter Inn) is doing a basic Christmas dinner with desert for 390 (and 450 with a glass of wine).

Roast Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Stuffing, Vegetables, Cranberry Sauce

choice of: Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Strawberry Pie

choice of: Fruit Juice, Hot Tea, Hot Coffee

24 and 25 December

11:30 AM-4 PM and 5 PM-8PM

Reserve at #081 882 2840 or 080 127 0922

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Garden (across from the Inter Inn) is doing a basic Christmas dinner with desert for 390 (and 450 with a glass of wine).

Roast Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Stuffing, Vegetables, Cranberry Sauce

choice of: Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, Strawberry Pie

choice of: Fruit Juice, Hot Tea, Hot Coffee

24 and 25 December

11:30 AM-4 PM and 5 PM-8PM

Reserve at #081 882 2840 or 080 127 0922

Thanks for the info UG, and for keeping it in line with the topic of "REASONABLY priced" Christmas celebrations. There have been a number of suggestions in the 300-800 THB range (REASONABLY priced) to waaaaaaaaaayyyyy over the top (and therefore off topic). Thank you and Merry Christmas to everyone who provided the REASONABLY priced information as requested.

Edited by venturalaw

Thanks for the info UG, and for keeping it in line with the topic of "REASONABLY priced" Christmas celebrations. There have been a number of suggestions in the 300-800 THB range (REASONABLY priced) to waaaaaaaaaayyyyy over the top (and therefore off topic). Thank you and Merry Christmas to everyone who provided the REASONABLY priced information as requested.

Even better, how about not including the term subjective term "reasonable" next time you want to ask this type of question. Just specify how much you are willing to pay, thereby specifying what to you is "reasonable" given your own budget situation. Then you won't have to whinge about other people having different ideas about what constitutes 'reasonable" to them?

Deal?

I called the Grandview and the girl I talked to said it's a Christmas buffet lunch 11-2..?

250 baht. She said they would have turkey.

The Grandview is usually pretty good for the price. Now that is what I call more than reasonable! :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Art Cafe offers a basic turkey dinner for about 350. I'm pretty sure that that is the same price as Thanksgiving.

So Americans have a big pigout feast on turkey for thanksgiving then 3 weeks later pigout again on Turkey for xmas is that right? Um I guess that is the reason why turkey's are expensive and in short supply the yanks ate them all a couple of weeks ago.;) I don't really care as turkey is a very strong smelling and tasting meat not really my thing we let the Americans keep that disgusting stuff.. The traditional roast pork and ham for xmas dinner with the prawns and other seafood is the way to go..

Even better, how about not including the term subjective term "reasonable" next time you want to ask this type of question. Just specify how much you are willing to pay, thereby specifying what to you is "reasonable" given your own budget situation. Then you won't have to whinge about other people having different ideas about what constitutes 'reasonable" to them?

Deal?

Since you are the only poster who was apparently challenged by the term reasonable, it would be sensible that you consider posting on threads that you understand rather than criticizing those which you do not.

Deal?

Art Cafe offers a basic turkey dinner for about 350. I'm pretty sure that that is the same price as Thanksgiving.

So Americans have a big pigout feast on turkey for thanksgiving then 3 weeks later pigout again on Turkey for xmas is that right? Um I guess that is the reason why turkey's are expensive and in short supply the yanks ate them all a couple of weeks ago.;) I don't really care as turkey is a very strong smelling and tasting meat not really my thing we let the Americans keep that disgusting stuff.. The traditional roast pork and ham for xmas dinner with the prawns and other seafood is the way to go..

" I don't really care as turkey is a very strong smelling and tasting meat not really my thing we let the Americans keep that disgusting stuff"

Who is 'we', and by what imagined power are you 'letting' "Americans keep that disgusting stuff"?

Not meaning to intercede in this little Tête à tête

Turkey meat has to be one of the blandest flavoured meats of all poultry.

Compared to duck, quail, pheasant, chicken- it pretty much has zero flavour.

Perhaps moetown got into some bad bird once, and can't shake the memory? Sounds like a good blues song, in B flat....B)

Le Meridien was very nice this evening

The buffet was quite extensive - prime rib (carving station), turkey (whole turkey), roasted duck, lamb, pork, chicken breast

Mashed potatoes + various steamed/ cooked vegetables

Pasta Station (made to order) + Thai Station (made to order)

Sushi, prawns, lobster

6 different salads + salad bar

Very nicely displayed dessert station (cakes, fruit, shot glasses with various puddings/ fruit/ etc)

I definitely enjoyed sampling everything and felt it was a very good value at 990 baht

Not meaning to intercede in this little Tête à tête

Turkey meat has to be one of the blandest flavoured meats of all poultry.

Compared to duck, quail, pheasant, chicken- it pretty much has zero flavour.

Perhaps moetown got into some bad bird once, and can't shake the memory? Sounds like a good blues song, in B flat....B)

It's true that the white meat can be almost tasteless if over cooked, which often occurs if served merely turkey parts as oppose to meat carved from a whole bird. The dark meat, which is normally unavailable if not from a whole turkey bird, is more flavorful.

Lyrics to a good blues song. Yes, I understand. Something like:

"Before moving to Thailand my life was like a dead cat on misery highway . . . . "

Edited by venturalaw

The buffet was quite extensive - prime rib (carving station), turkey (whole turkey), roasted duck, lamb, pork, chicken breast

Sushi, prawns, lobster

Very nicely displayed dessert station (cakes, fruit, shot glasses with various puddings/ fruit/ etc)

I definitely enjoyed sampling everything and felt it was a very good value at 990 baht

Great review. Thanks.

Sushi, prawns, lobster

Great review. Thanks.

Seconded.

" I don't really care as turkey is a very strong smelling and tasting meat not really my thing we let the Americans keep that disgusting stuff"

Who is 'we', and by what imagined power are you 'letting' "Americans keep that disgusting stuff"?

What I mean is turkey is more of a traditional American meal. Not big on the Australian menu, I also mean that I find the taste of turkey very strong and gamie and what I mean by not my thing is that I find it a disgusting taste. Everyone unto thier own and not ragging on Americans for eating it. I love Kangaroo steaks and find them much better than a beef steak but Americans may find this disgusting. If I offended any Americans because I do not like the taste of Turkey then I am very sorry and you have my humble appology

I'm surprised no one mentioned Sergio's Xmas Eve dinner and Xmas Day lunch buffet.

Sergio specializes in Italian cuisine. So while it wasn't technically a Xmas dinner (no cranberry or stuffing and no mince pie, whatever that is), they did have a whole turkey to carve up. I can't tell you how the turkey was since I don't particularly like turkey and there was so much other outstanding food to be had:

assorted cheeses and Italian salami, prosciutto, and pepperoni

shrimp coctail

beef carpaccio

meat lasagna

vegetable lasagna

canneloni

soups

salad

pasta to order

ribs, pork chops, chick, sausage, salmon, and Australian steaks, all cooked to order

tiramisu

cheesecake

chocolate mousse

gelato

All that and much more for 640 baht net, half the price of Dukes. This had to be the best value of the season. I started eating at 7:00pm and didn't finish my last scoop of gelato until 10:30!

Before someone asks -- Sergio used to own Buonissimo and still runs a business importing mostly Italian food products and wines in Chiang Mai. He also has a small restaurant just south of Tha Pai Gate, but his monthly buffets, which this month fortunately coincided with Xmas are held at various locations.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Sergio's Xmas Eve dinner and Xmas Day lunch buffet.

Sergio specializes in Italian cuisine. So while it wasn't technically a Xmas dinner (no cranberry or stuffing and no mince pie, whatever that is), they did have a whole turkey to carve up. I can't tell you how the turkey was since I don't particularly like turkey and there was so much other outstanding food to be had:

shrimp coctail

beef carpaccio

meat lasagna

vegetable lasagna

canneloni

soups

salad

pasta to order

ribs, pork chops, chick, sausage, salmon, and Australian steaks, all cooked to order

tiramisu

cheesecake

chocolate mousse

gelato

All that and much more for 640 baht net, half the price of Dukes. This had to be the best value of the season. I started eating at 7:00pm and didn't finish my last scoop of gelato until 10:30!

Before someone asks -- Sergio used to own Buonissimo and still runs a business importing mostly Italian food products and wines in Chiang Mai. He also has a small restaurant just south of Tha Pai Gate, but his monthly buffets, which this month fortunately coincided with Xmas are held at various locations.

Well, I suppose you could have mentioned it before now............I'm surprised.

thanks to everyone who came along to The Olde Bell - about 15 - 20% of whom came via Thai Visa. We served 93 Christmas Dinners + 7 Thai Partner dinners + 6 Childrens meals. Everyone who ventured an opinion said they enjoyed the food and the atmosphere really was great fun all day!

We hope to see many of you tomorrow for our Boxing Day Cold Cuts from 7pm opnward (see separate thread for details!)

thanks to everyone who came along to The Olde Bell - about 15 - 20% of whom came via Thai Visa. We served 93 Christmas Dinners + 7 Thai Partner dinners + 6 Childrens meals. Everyone who ventured an opinion said they enjoyed the food and the atmosphere really was great fun all day!

We hope to see many of you tomorrow for our Boxing Day Cold Cuts from 7pm opnward (see separate thread for details!)

The Boxing Day Cold Cuts idea sounds GREAT! Looking forward to it and thanks for the information.

... snip ... We hope to see many of you tomorrow for our Boxing Day Cold Cuts from 7pm opnward (see separate thread for details!)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun OldeBellPedr,

A very Merry to Thee and Thine !

My human meat-package, made in America, and put through many years of torture there: often bogusly referred to, there, as "education," is a bit ignorant of ye olde ancient cutting, pugilistic, and ritual scarring, rites of my ancestors who left England a few hundred years ago: so, may I ask:

1. How many rounds would I have to box ?

2. Are gloves and head-gear allowed ?

3. Would I be matched against someone of my own human's age (67) or thereabouts, or am I likely to face-off with a strapping lad from Liverpool in the flush of full testosterone who doesn't drink soy-milk ? Am I guaranteed a human, rather than animal opponent ?

4. Where on the body are the cuts made, how deep are they, and is only the part of the body where the cut is made chilled beforehand, or is the entire body chilled beforehand ?

5. Does the chilling aspect of the rite cause you to lose consciousness: is Guiness involved in that aspect ?

6. What do you use to staunch the blood flow if extreme ?

7. Is the loser required to kiss any part of the winner's body ?

8. Is the mantra "taking the piss" involved in this rite ? Literally or figuratively ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Sergio specializes in Italian cuisine.

his monthly buffets, which this month fortunately coincided with Xmas are held at various locations.

Any possibility of expanding on "various locations" --- before someone asks !! ---- apart fom the Thappae Gate restaurant.

... snip ... We hope to see many of you tomorrow for our Boxing Day Cold Cuts from 7pm opnward (see separate thread for details!)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun OldeBellPedr,

A very Merry to Thee and Thine !

My human meat-package, made in America, and put through many years of torture there: often bogusly referred to, there, as "education," is a bit ignorant of ye olde ancient cutting, pugilistic, and ritual scarring, rites of my ancestors who left England a few hundred years ago: so, may I ask:

1. How many rounds would I have to box ?

2. Are gloves and head-gear allowed ?

3. Would I be matched against someone of my own human's age (67) or thereabouts, or am I likely to face-off with a strapping lad from Liverpool in the flush of full testosterone who doesn't drink soy-milk ? Am I guaranteed a human, rather than animal opponent ?

4. Where on the body are the cuts made, how deep are they, and is only the part of the body where the cut is made chilled beforehand, or is the entire body chilled beforehand ?

5. Does the chilling aspect of the rite cause you to lose consciousness: is Guiness involved in that aspect ?

6. What do you use to staunch the blood flow if extreme ?

7. Is the loser required to kiss any part of the winner's body ?

8. Is the mantra "taking the piss" involved in this rite ? Literally or figuratively ?

thanks, ~o:37;

Thank you for that Khun Orang! A nice chuckel on boxing Day morning!!!

In fact a vigorous discussion took place yesterday about the origin of the word 'Boxing Day' and although there was a divergance of opinion about the origin, you can rest assured Sir, that boxing with or without gloves was not on anyones list of suggestions!! and that the only cuts you are likely to receive should you come to the Olde Bell tonight will be choice cuts of Turkey, Ham , Pork and Beef!!

The concensus of opinion was that it was so named as being the day that HM The Queen boxed up all her unwanted or duplicate presents. That idea was suggested by one of your compatriots - which considering how your people rather rudely ejected her ancestors from what was then a major part of her (or in those days, his,) Empire, was surprising to say the least (he is a frightfully clever man though)!!- his idea received the most support!! Many other suggestions had more to do with quantity of alcoholic beverages consumed and are frankly not worth repeating to an educated gentleman such as yourself!!

Tonight as it goes! At The Olde Bell we've got our 'all you can eat BBQ': Steak Burgers fish, Salads etc, plus cold turkey and cold ham plus 2 pints of Chang or two large Leos, Cheers or Archas or a large glass of vino: 250 baht to you guv'ner!!! (or 225 baht if you are a Chiang Mai resident and sign up to our Gold Members Card!!)

BTW Uptheos, Thanks for the invitation for the plug!! I owe you a beer!!!

Thanks to everyone who came along tonight for our Boxing Day Cold Cuts - everyone left satiated and there's even some left to add to tonights BBQ!! - lotsof comments in The Bell about Orang37's post above. Good Boxing Day humour!!!

Tonight as it goes! At The Olde Bell we've got our 'all you can eat BBQ': Steak Burgers fish, Salads etc, plus cold turkey and cold ham plus 2 pints of Chang or two large Leos, Cheers or Archas or a large glass of vino: 250 baht to you guv'ner!!! (or 225 baht if you are a Chiang Mai resident and sign up to our Gold Members Card!!)

BTW Uptheos, Thanks for the invitation for the plug!! I owe you a beer!!!

Thanks to everyone who came along tonight for our Boxing Day Cold Cuts - everyone left satiated and there's even some left to add to tonights BBQ!! - lotsof comments in The Bell about Orang37's post above. Good Boxing Day humour!!!

You certainly don't need invitations or plugs from me, as a sponsor you apparently have Carte Blanche to get into every nook and cranny.

I have just the customer for you!!

article-1341683-0C952D21000005DC-539_468x467.jpg

Edited by uptheos

We had a great lunch at the Duke's. Plenty of food, and the quality was top notch, and amazing value for money. The company was great and Dave was the perfect host. We grazed for 4 hours and went home very happy. Well done Dave and the team!

Edited by ctrunfree

shrimp coctail

beef carpaccio

meat lasagna

vegetable lasagna

canneloni

soups

salad

pasta to order

tiramisu

cheesecake

chocolate mousse

gelato

Well, I suppose you could have mentioned it before now............I'm surprised.

Upthe..., I'll offer an apology to you, and everyone else, if you'll also let me add an explanation.

I didn't find out about Sergio's Xmas buffet until I got his email on the Monday night before Xmas. I stopped reading this thread after Duke's third or fourth self-promotional post. At that point the thread became more of an advertisement than an informative listing with poster's opinions. I went back to the thread after the fact and just scanned to see if Sergio's was subsequently mentioned.

So my sincere apologies to all. Many of you would have enjoyed Sergio's dinner, even if it wasn't a true Xmas dinner, and Sergio could have easily handled a larger crowd.

Asmerom, I can't tell you the location. Since Sergio closed Buonissimo, he doesn't have a space big enough. I can say that they do not do it at the Tha Pae Gate restaurant. It's too small. In the past it's been held at the big hotel on Chiang Puak Rd (the Mercur?) and maybe other hotels. Xmas dinner was at Ice Chic, which turned out to be a great location with outdoor seating in their garden. Once a month I get an email giving the details of the next one. (I have no idea how I got on the list.) It's usually the last saturday of the month, which would make it Jan 29. If anyone wants the details of the next one, feel free to send me a PM about a week before and I'll gladly pass on the info.

shrimp coctail

beef carpaccio

meat lasagna

vegetable lasagna

canneloni

soups

salad

pasta to order

tiramisu

cheesecake

chocolate mousse

gelato

Upthe..., I'll offer an apology to you, and everyone else, if you'll also let me add an explanation.

I didn't find out about Sergio's Xmas buffet until I got his email on the Monday night before Xmas. I stopped reading this thread after Duke's third or fourth self-promotional post. At that point the thread became more of an advertisement than an informative listing with poster's opinions. I went back to the thread after the fact and just scanned to see if Sergio's was subsequently mentioned.

So my sincere apologies to all. Many of you would have enjoyed Sergio's dinner, even if it wasn't a true Xmas dinner, and Sergio could have easily handled a larger crowd.

Asmerom, I can't tell you the location. Since Sergio closed Buonissimo, he doesn't have a space big enough. I can say that they do not do it at the Tha Pae Gate restaurant. It's too small. In the past it's been held at the big hotel on Chiang Puak Rd (the Mercur?) and maybe other hotels. Xmas dinner was at Ice Chic, which turned out to be a great location with outdoor seating in their garden. Once a month I get an email giving the details of the next one. (I have no idea how I got on the list.) It's usually the last saturday of the month, which would make it Jan 29. If anyone wants the details of the next one, feel free to send me a PM about a week before and I'll gladly pass on the info.

el jefe thanks for the info. I for one would be very interested in learning about Sergio's monthly feasts. His food was always superb at Buonissimo and, as far as I know, he never indulged in what, as you pointed out, became one restaurateur's seemingly endless self-promotion.

Moderators, perhaps it is time for this thread to be closed as the time for it's stated purpose has expired.