6 Month Tourist Visa Uk

I will be applying in January for a 6 month Tourist visa for my GF to come to the UK in April for 3 weeks. Does the 6 month visa start in January ( when it has been granted ) or in April? I am applying only for a 3 week visit, but would it be possible for my GF to visit again in the summer, even if i didnt mention this in the sponsor letter?

I see the embassy can also grant 2,5 and 10 year general visitor visas. Are these visas granted to couples who have been together for a number of years and have made their permanent home in Thailand, and can satisfy the ECO that they will return to Thailand? ( i use couples as my example - as i am sure they can be granted to many different types of people).

thanks

Sorry to be pedantic kunash, but you don't apply for a visa for your girlfriend, she does, she is the applicant and it is she who must convince the ECO that it's a genuine application.

If she wishes to apply in January but not travel until April she can ask for the visa start date to be deferred for any period up to three months, she needs to make it very clear in her covering letter, the visa would then be valid from the deferred start date. Multi entry visas are normally issued so there would be nothing to stop her returning for a further holiday, that's one of the reasons they issue multi entry visas, but she needs to be aware that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee admission, the IO at the port of entry can still refuse entry if they are not convinced it's a genuine visit, and it does happen.

As she previously had a visa, and complied with it, she could apply for one with a longer term but if the ECO decides to issue one with a shorter term then there would be no refund of the fee.

For someone to qualify for a longer term visa they need to demonstrate that have a genuine reason to visit on a regular basis, that doesn't just mean business people, it could be somebody with strong family ties in the UK.

Edited by theoldgit

Sorry to be pedantic kunash, but you don't apply for a visa for your girlfriend, she does, she is the applicant and it is she who must convince the ECO that it's a genuine application.

If she wishes to apply in January but not travel until April she can ask for the visa start date to be deferred for any period up to three months, she needs to make it very clear in her covering letter, the visa would then be valid from the deferred start date. Multi entry visas are normally issued so there would be nothing to stop her returning for a further holiday, that's one of the reasons they issue multi entry visas, but she needs to be aware that possession of a visa doesn't guarantee admission, the IO at the port of entry can still refuse entry if they are not convinced it's a genuine visit, and it does happen.

As she previously had a visa, and complied with it, she could apply for one with a longer term but if the ECO decides to issue one with a shorter term then there would be no refund of the fee.

For someone to qualify for a longer term visa they need to demonstrate that have a genuine reason to visit on a regular basis, that doesn't just mean business people, it could be somebody with strong family ties in the UK.

thanks for reply. I hadnt thought about my GF actually writing a letter for her application. But it would be a good idea so I will ask her to write one and ask for the visa start date to be deferred until nearer the date of travel.. cheers