Pay As You Earn Tax In Thailand

Hi can anyone advise me abouth the way tax is stopped for employees in Thailand?

Is there a specific tax year? (for eample in the UK its from April 6th to April 5th the next year and in Spain from Jan 01 to December 31 each year)

I ask the question for the following reason:

I started work on June 14th this year and in fact took six weeks unpaid leave mid Sept to Nov 01. So by the end of the year (Dec 31) I will have worked less than 5 months.

Yet when I asked my employer's pay department (a university) how they arrived at the tax figure they showed me a system whereby they gross up my monthly salary to an annual figure

and use this for calculating the tax due. When I pointed out that I had only worked for 5 months in this year (2010) they implied that the calculation was based on 12 months from when I started work (I find this difficult to believe.and if true what happens if I leave work before the year is complete?)

Its all complicated by the fact I cannot speak Thai and all communication is through a 3rd party.

Can anybody advise me how the PAYE tax system works out here?

Thanks

Tax year is Jan 1 to Dec 31.

The tax calculation you have described is correct and normal, though some employers may make the adjustment based on months worked in advance. This way you won't overpay.

Just file your tax returns (Form Por Ngor Dor 91) between Jan 1 and March 31 in the year following the tax year and claim a refund. Usually you receive the refund withing 3-6 weeks of your filing date.

The tax calculation you have described is correct and normal, though some employers may make the adjustment based on months worked in advance. This way you won't overpay.

Just file your tax returns (Form Por Ngor Dor 91) between Jan 1 and March 31 in the year following the tax year and claim a refund. Usually you receive the refund withing 3-6 weeks of your filing date.

Thanks - 2 supplementaries

1.Is employment tax dealt with at a local or central level?

2. Where do I get the form Por Ngor 91 (and I expect it's in Thai?)

Thanks again

Thanks again

1. All tax matters are handled at your local revenue department

2. yes the form is in Thai. If you already have a tax ID card they should mail you this form sometime in January or your employer may give you one, if not just go to the department and ask for one. It is very easy to calculate personal income tax under the Thai system and I think somebody ever posted clear detailed instructions about this here on TV.

Thanks again

1. All tax matters are handled at your local revenue department

2. yes the form is in Thai. If you already have a tax ID card they should mail you this form sometime in January or your employer may give you one, if not just go to the department and ask for one. It is very easy to calculate personal income tax under the Thai system and I think somebody ever posted clear detailed instructions about this here on TV.

Thank you very much for your advice :)