Airlines-comments

Rinrada

For a possible new thread has anyone got anything Good.Bad or downright UGLy etc.to say about the Airlines,Flights,Airport Services-Rip offs to and from LOS.

Who are the Best/the dogs/most Confident-Nightmares....

Has anyone ever gone with ...

Nigerian Airways,Binman,Aero-Plot,Uzbeci-stan,Afgani-stan and who remembers good old Tarom.

Is it still on the go?used to be about £150 R/T from UK via everwhere.

Does BA and Quantas have any fans? :ghostface:

Sounds more like a who's who of don't fly, although would add Royal Air Lao (if it still called that) and the fighter pilots of Indian Airlines (domestic) who still think they are flying Migs.

Will start with plug for Eva Deluxe for us weight/money challenged folks.  Much more seat and leg room for a modest (in comparison to Business upgrade) cost.

I've not flown long haul for some time but listening to friend's comments, Emirates appears to be high on the list of reasonably priced good service airlines. Unfortunately there could be a lengthy stop-over in Dubai but there are much worse airports to spend a few hours.

Singapore Airlines is also very good when it comes to service and price.

To add to the list of "what not to fly", perhaps any airline that has "China" in it's name should be avoided.

I understand that the "flying menopause" (B.A.) and Quantas are the highest priced of the lot for an Asia - Europe flight. And the service leaves much to be desired.

Just been reading that the Picc-a-dilly Line underground(London) will be down for maint.on Sat-Sun 15-16th March (St Paddys weekend)and will be running buses to Heathrow Airport.Stansted(other Majour International Airport) is also still using buses on all Sundays till something like the year 2012- upgrading a bit of track...

Welcome to the UK ..no quite shut but trying hard.

Anyway back to Singapore Airlines.

A mate of mine and Phil.wife are off on Sunday 15th to the Philippines with Sing.A.(Heathrow-of course) and it looks like I will have 2 drive round the M25 so will give a wave to anyone coming the other way.

Just thought a plug for Sing.Air.

Just for the record last time I went to Manila I got the standard 3 week tourist visa on arrival but he being married got an automatic 1 Year.

Thailand please NOTE  :o

AS I work for an airline I can tell you that for your money that EVA is the best of the lot Cathay is very good also a but a bit more pricey. Singapore is rated the best but on the expensive end. I would stay away from most middle east airlines and would rather walk than take China Air. I would to fly Thai but there scheduling is off as I don't care to arrive in BKK after midnight (comming from America) after a 20 hour flt.

Cheers all love this sight

• 1 year later...

Just got back to Australia after travelling Perth-Brunei-Bangkok and return using Royal Brunei Air. The service was so bad I emailled both my Travel Agent and the Manager of RBA and failing to get a response from the Airline.

am a regular traveller on the PER - BKK route.

I travelled 12 Feb 05 PER-BWN-BKK on flights BI 66 / BI 33. Older style Boeing 767, average service, average meal for Economy Class. Nothing to complain about, really.

The return trip on 28 Feb 05 BKK-BWN-PER on flights BI 34 / BI 65 was a nightmare. I have emailled Royal Brunei Air with the following compaints.

1. Flight BI 34 scheduled to depart BKK at 0740. I departed Pattaya (Thailand) at 0230 and arrived BKK at 0440. Luggage scanner at check-in desk not working, so had to carry luggage 50 metres to another scanner and then back to check-in desk. About 20 of us early check in people. Processed painfully slowly. Boarding Pass issued, showing boarding time of 0820. TV departure screen showing flight due to depart on time at 0740. At 0700, no sign of Royal Brunei plane or staff at the allocated gate. At 0745, time on TV departure screen changed to 0900. Checked in 0900. Plane departed 0915. Old Boeing 767. When airborne, advised by pilot that the plane was late from Frankfurt.

2. Flight BI 34 was due to land at BWN at 1130 and connect with flight BI 65, scheduled to depart at 1320. Flight BI 34 arrived BWN at 1300. Passengers not advised that they would have to then visit Transfers Desk in Transit Lounge to obtain new boarding pass for flight BI 65. Fortunately, most of us figured this out outselves and rushed to obtain new boarding pass and join the long queue at Gate 4 at BWN. TV departure screens still showing departure scheduled for 1320. My disposable cigarette lighter was confiscated at x-ray scanner. No warning anywhere - no apologies! Seems new policy (which I understand will affect ALL airline flights from 12 April 2005).

3. Herded into non-air-conditioned lounge and not informed when the flight will actually depart. Eventually at 1400, we boarded flight BI 65. Departed 1415. Informed by pilot that flight would be late into PER. Unable to inform friends collecting me at PER. Plane due to ETA PER at 1840. Terrible turbulance near Karratha on flight. No effort make by crew to fly around, above or below. Worst I have ever encountered. No apologies from crew. Actual arrival into PER 2100. Friends and family of passengers on flight BI 65 not informed as to true arrival time - just on TV arrivals screen that flight was DELAYED. No answer on telephone to Royal Brunei Air at PER. Family and friends arrived on time to collect me, incurring extra parking costs and unnecessary worry.

4. Immigration Desk at PER not manned for CREW. Crew of flight given priority over passengers. Why? Also why no priority for Australian passport holders as occurs overseas where locals have priority Immigration processing. I felt like a second-class citizen in my own country!

5. As if the above was not enough, the 20 of us who checked in early at BKK found that Royal Brunei Air had lost our luggage. No apology from Royal Brunei Air. Eventually, 1 hr 30 min after landing SkyStar services at PER figured out what had happened. Our suitcases were correctly labelled by BKK, but the luggage was put in a container marked FREIGHT for PER and ended up coming off flight BI 65 and sent to the Freight terminal at PER (Domestic Terminal). Finally, 2hr 23 min after landing at PER, we were reunited with our luggage.

6. I have emailled Royal Brunei Air, requesting an apology and unspecified monetary compensation. I have given a deadline of 24 hours. Failing to achieve this, I will post the above on 2 Travel Forums of which I am a member, with the advise NEVER to to travel with Royal Brunei Air. If Singapore Airlines is the benchmark that other airlines allegedly try to emulate, Royal Brunei Air would have to be at the other end.

Please NEVER book me with them again. From now on, it's Singapore Airlines PER-BKK and Thai Air Asia in Asia for internal flights.

Peter

All airlines I have flown with to Bangkok and their ratings:

Emirates (twice) : Good but I don't like being dumped in Dubai for 5 hours

Qatar (three times): Excellent, no complaints and the Doha stopover has never been more than an hour

Turkish (once is enough) : A complete nightmare all round, rude hostesses and staff who feel they are doing you a favour

Phuket (once): Planes themselves and food / service ok, but delays galore

Thai (three times): Going slowly downhill, surviving on past reputation only now

SAS (Scandanavian) (once) : Excellent, no complaints about anything

We mainly use EVA,good leg room but food is not very nice and in flight entertainment a bit poor. Evergreen is great if available but more expensive than it used to be. Thai are very good great service but very expensive now. We are trying Phucket air for the first time later this year si i will let u know how it was!!

Interested in other peoples views on Phucket air business and econ

Decided to dump Thai. Ground Service : the pits. In flight : if possible worse. Frequent flyer : riddled with errors.

I lodged complaint via internet, never got an answer.

Lodged same complaint through their website, got an abslote irrlevant answer.

Conclusion: Totally incompetent.

Agree with previous posts about Singapore Airlines, best I've flown with. Always had excellent service with Thai too. JAL weren't bad the one time I flew with them, but I'd expect that in business class. Garuda....well, you get what you pay for, but they were one of only a few airlines to have have smoking seats about three years ago, do they still have them?

Dislike the quality of service on Lufthansa, KLM are ok as they save me travelling to London with their Bristol-Amsterdam-Bangkok service. Air France do a Bristol-Paris-France service, but don't trust their staff to not be on strike, quality of service lacking too.

Middle Eastern airlines seem to have better quality service than the European ones, but not as high as Far Eastern ones.

As for US airlines, am I alone in finding their air-hostess's to be among the most ugliest in the world? Must have something to do with political correctness, equal rights for ugly people. Don't like the attitude of the staff, either.

Anyone flown with Cathay Pacific? Hear they're good, but never flown with them.

My Opinion Best I have flown on from UK

1) Emirates

2) Eva

3) Malaysian

4) Finnair

5) Qatar

6) Singapore

Yes I really did prefer Finnair to Singapore.Even if the planes were older!! and had no seat back screens.Stewardesses did tend to be older as well :D

Emirates definately the best.The main thing to impress me after the menu :D was the stewardesses looked you in the eye when talking to you.And spent time talking generally, to passengers, when they had the time.:o

Qatar air manage to put the cases on the wrong plane at Doha :D Also had malfunction when taking off leading to long delay.Over six hours late into Bangkok and no case!!.Though in all fairness did get it me first thing next day.

Edited by niagarekoja

Not just for Asia, but some flown elsewhere.

Air Canada - Newest fleet of most majors with exception of 767s. Unfortunately they charge for drinks and have bugger all leg room, and wonder why they always have to go into bankruptcy protection. Pricey

Air New Zealand - comfy planes but lazy cabin crew who hang out in the galley the whole flight. Surprised they actually muster up the effort to bring you food rather than just ring a bell and make you line up for it.

Alaska - Good legroom, outstanding service (got a beer and a sandwich on a 25min Seattle/Victoria flight once), prices good.

Asiana - My favourite airline as far as service, food, entertainment, and cute flight attendants go. Good frequent flyer program, comfortable aircraft, good prices. Also Inchon is a great airport for plane watcher to be stuck in for a few hours. The 777 from Seattle is a very comfy ride. Also seem to give upgrades easiest if you dress well and give them compliments.

Northwest - Some rather old aircraft (200 series 747s, DC-10s) at the same price as the airlines that fly brand new models.

AirTransat - Run out of coffee and at least once, FUEL over the Atlantic...need I say more? :o

Southwest- Never got on the plane as they seem to massivly over-book every flight. Told them to stuff it and flew Alaska.

Polynesian - Recommended for travel around the south pacific. So-so entertainment system, but since polynesians tend to be big people, there's lots of room in economy, and its the only airline I ever fly on that I can't finish all the food they give me. (Big meals).

cv

Have been using NorthWest for 15 years from US East Coast - service was always good and upgrades great.

Now NWA has put a smaller plane (Airbus) on the Tokyo-Bangkok portion, consequently upgrades very seldom available and Free (mileage) tickets are almost unheard of. I tried for six months to use my miles for a Business Class ticket, could get over at a moment's notice but nothing available for return trip even tho my stay was for almost six months and dates very flexible.

Previously, you could obtain upgrades or free tickets for part of the trip even if it wasn't available for the entire trip. Now their policy seems to be that if the entire trip is not available in the class you want, then it is not available at all.

That Airbus, not only has less seats, don't get a window seat in economy as you will have your leg room diminished by the box that operates the seat TV's. Apparently the people that designed the interior forgot it was for people with legs, maybe we are supposed to check them now :o

As of Mar 1, NWA has also raised their mileage requirements for a Business Class ticket from 90,000 miles to 120,000 miles, but still no seats available.

I am now glad I have used most of my miles up except for the last 125000 that I still have on Continental which I guess I will have to waste on Domestic Flights.

This trip over I took EVA Evergreen class, Good seats with good leg room but food not the greatest - but the price was right. Guess I will have to use them from now on unless Thai keeps a decent fare and gives some leg room in economy (as does Singapore on their similar plane) on their new Non-Stop service from NY which is supposed to commence in May sometime.

Maybe we can get enough comments about these changes and forward them to NWA and they might understand they are going to lose a lot of customers that have been quite loyal over the years. :D

<font color='#000000'>AS I work for an airline I can tell you that for your money that EVA is the best of the lot Cathay is very good also a but a bit more pricey. Singapore is rated the best but on the expensive end. I would stay away from most middle east airlines and would rather walk than take China Air. I would to fly Thai but there scheduling is off as I don't care to arrive in BKK after midnight (comming from America) after a 20 hour flt.

Cheers all love this sight</font>

A blind friend of ours, just booked evergreen with eva Lhr to Bkk, 650pounds, they phoned him after booking and told him he has been upgraded to business class free of charge, and they will pick him up from home as well!! now that is service. not like Quantas last year who put him on a wrong flight from singapore and he ended up in sydney in stead of Brisbane and then had the cheek to phone us at Brisbane airport to come and collect him, nignoy

As an Aircraft Engineer and someone that has flown hundreds of thousands of miles over the past 200 years (well it seems like it) I think that EVA are very hard to beat. :D The service is good, on board and before depature and their saftey record is exemplory. I normally like to try and upgrade as I am a silver card holder and upstairs the food is great. It used to be very good in evergreen delux as well. Twice I have been upgraded to super first and that is something else. O.K. they have only been flying 15 years and time will tell whether they learn from what little mistakes they make, or, like a lot of Airlines simply go to pot. British Airways is a prime example. They have been steadily going down the pan the 15 years since EVA inorgarated. Ask most British frequent flyers who they would travel with and a lot of them say 'Anyone except BA' :o

If you are doing a Bangkok Middle East run, Emirates is it. Good service during the flight (as mentioned by DJ Pat).

Both in Bangkok and Kuwait or Saudi Arabia, the service at the Emirates offices is also good. Despite what the Emirates website says (2 business days prior to the flight you mut pick up and pay for your ticket), in fact you can pick up and pay for a ticket up to about four hours prior to the flight. And that is when paying in cash.

On one of my recent Hong Kong to Bangkok runs Emirates beat Singapore Airlines as far as service.

As far as the five hour Dubai layover--- depends on your situation. When I am leaving the Middle East I use the Dubai airport bars to ease back into a comatose state.

As I mentioned in another thread, Emirates is my vote for the best airline - but followed closely by Singapore.

One thing I think is fascinating on Emirates are the two cameras you can select on your tv - one with a forward view (great during takeoff and landings) and the other pointing straight down (less interesting usually but OK when flying over cities).

Dubai airport is fine - plenty of things to buy and a few bars (not quite as good as at Changi in Singapore of course) - and a great Business Class lounge if you qualify. They are building a new terminal to augment the one they have at Dubai.

I had some experiance with:

1) China airlines (from Taiwan) - ok

2) KLM - sometimes ok

3) Singapore airlines - not bad

4) Air India, Biman (Bangladesh) - well, can survive on short flights :o

5) Thai - at least its better than 4)

6) Aeroflot - thanks God I'm still alive !

don't remember other at the moment

Surprised at the negative comments about Thai International. I've flown to LHR to BKK & vv many times in the last 5 years & found the service and food excellent. However, the Frequent Flyer programme is now based on ticket class which means that discounted tickets get you less mileage. Also, their London call centre keeps you waiting ages & listening to stupid music while clocking up the £££'s.

I agree with praise for Singapore Airlines & Emirates. BA is poor by comparison & the last time I flew Quantas I spent a night flight on a seat adjacent to the galley, where the the gay steward spent all night telling his friend tales of woe.

I've heared varying stories about Phuket Air. What's the latest?

Surprised at the negative comments about Thai International. I've flown to LHR to BKK & vv many times in the last 5 years & found the service and food excellent. However, the Frequent Flyer programme is now based on ticket class which means that discounted tickets get you less mileage. Also, their London call centre keeps you waiting ages & listening to stupid music while clocking up the £££'s.

I agree with praise for Singapore Airlines & Emirates. BA is poor by comparison & the last time I flew Quantas I spent a night flight on a seat adjacent to the galley, where the the gay steward spent all night telling his friend tales of woe.

The trouble with Thai Airways is that according to a lot of people they treat Thais as second class citizens,preferring to be more accomodating to Farangs. My wife would never travel Thai on long haul because of this.

The trouble with Thai Airways is that according to a lot of people they treat Thais as second class citizens,preferring to be more accomodating to Farangs. My wife would never travel Thai on long haul because of this.

Will check it out on next trip. :D .............errr whit time is it?........

5-30pm......Done enough work for the day .......am offski... :D

Chiang Mai next stop.....hope the weathers better then "eer ...F-F-F.Freezing again. :o

We are trying Phucket air for the first time later this year si i will let u know how it was!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are in for a shock - trust me I flew LGW - BKK - LGW in December/ January and this is the only airline I will never fly again.

Outbound, delayed by 4 hours projector broken and seat broken so it was a long uncomfortable flight. The cabin staff did their best but these planes are OLD and packed and the food was so poor that I didn't touch it even though I'm not a fussy eater and I was hungry.

The plane back to the UK was a very old ex Singapore Airlines plane. The trim was falling off and I am very surprised that this plane was still airworthy. I was relieved to get back to the UK. We had to refuel in the mid east and stay on the plane for 2 hours on the ground.

Maybe business class is better but its the same plane.

You think my experience was bad - I got off lightly when I heard some of the other passengers stories.

Bottom line is they are trying to run an airline with just enough 1970s planes which other airlines have pensioned off and of course when one of them goes wrong (As in December one had an engine fire and had to return to BKK) there are no spare planes so everybody is delayed 24 hours.

Oh and if you ask about any problems you get the Thai response - they lie.

Am surprised at negative comments re. Qantas/BA. If it wasn't for price would fly with them every time. Flew Heathrow/Bkk last week with Thai and service and In Flight Ent. useless.They will need to keep their low current prices to compete even with Qatar who are OK.Huge advantage with BA having seat back entertainment.No big heads in the way!

Biman Bangladesh worst I have flown with. Most recent movie 10 years old!

Emirates prices seem to be going up too much, last time above Thai & BA.Oil shortages out there I expect :o

We are trying Phucket air for the first time later this year si i will let u know how it was!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are in for a shock - trust me I flew LGW - BKK - LGW in December/ January and this is the only airline I will never fly again.

Outbound, delayed by 4 hours projector broken and seat broken so it was a long uncomfortable flight. The cabin staff did their best but these planes are OLD and packed

They have a 300 series 747 making the gatwick run, which is old, as major fleets go, but one of their other 747s is a 200 series which if I have my numbers right on their aircraft, was built in the mid-70s. :o

Ask yourself this before taking the cheapest flight; How much is it worth for you to fly on a 30yr old plane that even many frieght operators have retired?

Orient Thai (1-2-Go) has some old classics in the fleet too.

Of the bargin Thai carriers, seems Nok and Air Asia have the newest fleets, comparable with many western low cost outfits (Westjet/Southwest/Ryanair)

Hint: The 300 series will have two strips of windows down each side of the upper deck. The 200s only have 1 strip and a smaller hump. The VERY old 200s have only three windows on each side of the upper deck. Saw a Northwest 747 at Incheon like that last year.

cv

Decided to dump Thai. Ground Service : the pits. In flight : if possible worse. Frequent flyer : riddled with errors.

I lodged complaint via internet, never got an answer.

Lodged same complaint through their website, got an abslote irrlevant answer.

Conclusion: Totally incompetent.

Absolutely agree. I make a dozen long-haul trips a year out of Thailand and wouldn't fly Thai at gun point.

Remember, the same kind of wonderful folks who screw up everything else they touch at that airline are the same kind of folks who are maintaining your airplane. Gives you pause.....