Protest Against New Tower In Asoke

bangkokjohn

I live in Asoke and was distressed recently to find L and H are going to build a 30 story tower right next to my home. I like the area and hate the idea but thought that was the way things are in the Big City and did not complain. Last night when I arrived home, someone put protest banners everywhere. I've never heard of Thais protesting against building sites. Does anyone know if this kind of protest has any effect? Photos of signs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkkjohn/ The location of the site is at end of small soi between Asoke Parkview Apartments and the Watana Academy(so much for park view for those people, guess htey change the name of the building!). It's a small piece of land and they are permitting a huge building.

It is quite common for Thais to protest against new building sites by using banners, totally understandable because the new tower will probably decrease the value of their property and block the wiev.

Unfortunately it is totally impossible, that this will have any affect, as a large developer like L and H, will already have all necessary permits for the construction in place.

It is quite common for Thais to protest against new building sites by using banners, totally understandable because the new tower will probably decrease the value of their property and block the wiev.

Unfortunately it is totally impossible, that this will have any affect, as a large developer like L and H, will already have all necessary permits for the construction in place.

Yes I suppose you are correct but I have noticed that the posters seem to be painted by kids. The watana Acadamy is next to the building site. If it is them who are opposed, they have lots of Generals and PM's daughters going to school there. They could stop anything.

This is an EIA issue. Lodge a case with the Administrative court and get the approving committee to justify their decisions to approve the project in view of such a large project having a serious impact to the neighboring environment.

Come on - This is Thailand! They don´t have the laws for it!

Actually, in Bangkok, isn't there supposed to be some BMA regulation that limits the heights of NEW buildings based on the width of the street it's located on, and perhaps some other factors.... I remember reading about that...

However, whether it's really enforced in practice....when you see skyscrapers going up on small little sois....makes you wonder...

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if they got their EIA report approved yet? If not, as a group of residents, you could write to the National Environment Board to voice opposition to the project. Especially if residents have not been informed about the building through questionnaires,etc. They're supposed to do it before applying for the EIA report and the building permit. We did that when we heard a 30-storey might be going up near our condo as well. (Our article was in Bkk Post a few months ago.) They're still trying to build it so we have to stay vigilant.