Xmas Day Dinner In Samui

Boater

its that time of the year again,,,,,

where is the best place to get xmas dinner in Samui ?

Seen the Cork and casked has some good reviews in the Samui Gazette, and i think the price is a bout 750 THB

any other places, suggestions and price?

Somchais noodles at Family Mart on the ring road...30 Baht same price all year round :D

:cheesy:

Great reply - but not very helpful for the OP :partytime2:

In Ban Rak the BBC (Kiwi) and Cat Can Too (US) are both doing two sittings - I will try and find out prices for you. The Elephant and Castle (UK) usually does a good one too.

The Samui Shamrock Irish pub if your in Lamai is always a great feast,its been my regular for Xmas dinner for the last few years and never disappoints.I think the set menu will be the same as last year at 980 baht.Always wise to book ahead.If your in Chewang try the Islander.Happy Christmas all.

Visit my mate Paul at Murphys162058_129278020466587_5092426_n.jpg

Not much detail on what you get for the 795 Baht. :unsure:

:( Wouldn't trust them if their "Sunday Roast Beef" is any example, two thin slivers of beef and the rest of the plate padded with cheap meats. I see Vinothek Wine Garden in Chong Mon is offering a turkey dinner for Baht 399. :)

Edited by crusty

Somchais noodles at Family Mart on the ring road...30 Baht same price all year round :D

:cheesy:

Great reply - but not very helpful for the OP :partytime2:

In Ban Rak the BBC (Kiwi) and Cat Can Too (US) are both doing two sittings - I will try and find out prices for you. The Elephant and Castle (UK) usually does a good one too.

BBC - All you can eat buffet - serving more or less everything that you could want - 690 B

Quayside - Traditional Fayre - 700 B

Cat Can Too - Traditional plus beef and others - 590 B (or thereabouts)

BBC buffet last year, or rather Dancing Crab, was excellent. Plenty of choice, all ready to go, we all enjoyed a fantastic selection of meats (without pre-choosing), nice deserts, whilst the thai ladies had their thai style king prawns in spice dips, assorted sea foods and random falang selection. A winner. Layered with reasonable priced drinks (or several).

what about fasting on x-mas eve? As a quiet personal protest against gluttony and indirectly enacted consumer stress by the industry. Even better by giving 1.500 per person for the otherwise opulent dinner to someone or something really in need of that.

what about fasting on x-mas eve? As a quiet personal protest against gluttony and indirectly enacted consumer stress by the industry. Even better by giving 1.500 per person for the otherwise opulent dinner to someone or something really in need of that.

..Ah forget.. [snip]..//.. very good of u

Edited by beerian

Last year it was the most memorable feast of an Xmas dinner at big Joe's. Sadly this Xmas will only highlight him not being here with us.RIP Joe !We still miss you

Previously it was Jays place the catcantoo in Bangrak. Jay always puts on a very good spread, all you can eat style and the quality and price is hard to beat. Most likely end up there for lunch this year.

In reply to the OP, if the sunday roast is anything to go by at the Cork and Casket the Xmas dinner should be amazing. The portions on the sunday lunch are very good and I always go there on a Sunday.

@ Crusty - I agree regarding the sunday dinner at Tropical Murphy's.

Visit my mate Paul at Murphys162058_129278020466587_5092426_n.jpg

Why is it that a lot of these 'pubs' can get away with calling a half litre, a pint. It's not, shame they don't have a weights & measurment act in Thailand.

half a litre = 1.06 pints? , but they serve in a pint glass anyway blink.gif

Edited by Boater

I'm off to the quayside at the end of Bangrak for the 3rd time in 4 years, however a few places I know also to do a good one is the cork and cask end of chaweng close to the samui hospital, good grub good value,

The lazy coconut in maenam, excellent.

I use all 3 of these on a rotation basis for sunday lunch, always happy with it.

a good yard stick is to try them for sunday lunch,

Just been in the Catcantoo at Bangrak and the Xmas dinner there is 580 baht and its all you can eat. As said the quality and the price is hard to beat so its Bangrak for me and the missus.

Is that buffet style or a proper sit down 3 or 4 course Xmas Dinner

Buffet style with roast Turkey and home-made ham with all the trimmings and a variety of Thai food for the Thai missus that don't enjoy a festive Farang feast. As said for the price you cannot go wrong. Booked mine already. There is two sittings as well. The ham last time I went was to die for and also Americans do know how to cook a good turkey :D

Buffet style with roast Turkey and home-made ham with all the trimmings and a variety of Thai food for the Thai missus that don't enjoy a festive Farang feast. As said for the price you cannot go wrong. Booked mine already. There is two sittings as well. The ham last time I went was to die for and also Americans do know how to cook a good turkey :D

is it also 580 THB for the Thai Missus to eat thai food?

They cant really do it any different to be fair. Can you imagine the moaning Falangs and resident TV moaners - about double standards, falang price, always getting ripped off etc.. etc..

They cant really do it any different to be fair. Can you imagine the moaning Falangs and resident TV moaners - about double standards, falang price, always getting ripped off etc.. etc..

Sure they can, just charge the regular menu price that applies every other day of the year, unless they are paying the staff a healthy bonus

Xmas Eve Buffet - all you can eat - traditional Euro style:

El Dorado in Lamai - 1,000bht - no turkey - great ribs, ham, smoked salmon .... lots n lots of Swedish herring dishes (if you like herrings).

Xmas Day:

Swiss Chalet (just about right on the corner, before El Dorado opposite Family Mart ) - usually does a really good set menu - i think around 1,000bht

'Poppies' Chawang - Xmas lunch set menu - pretty 'exy' but absolutely delicious

Sure they can, just charge the regular menu price that applies every other day of the year, unless they are paying the staff a healthy bonus

I imagine most places will let you order off menu if you insist, tropical murphys last year did anyway. But given the effort, increased staff, marketing most bars/resturants will want to draw in xmas dinner crowd understandly. Why not pay the staff a healthy bonus (for added attention/service/dedication/loyalty/goodwill) - or does your bar turn over staff like hot cakes paying 7k a month? A few bars I know the staff get 500 bonus on xmas day (plus significant tips), that means they earn over £15/20 euros base for a whole days work - one time a year - . yikes??..Guess which bars arent looking for staff every fortnight?-- most.

Edited by beerian

I will be going to the Elephant and Castle in Bangrak for my Christmas Lunch.

No sittings where you have to be in and out by a certain time.

No getting up and down and queuing for your food.

Just book your table and time and sit down and enjoy being served some of the best British food on the island. Christmas lunch just as it should be. :licklips:

All of this for only 1,000 baht.

Merry Christmas to you all :partytime2:

half a litre = 1.06 pints?

Half a litre = 0.88 pints.

C'mon keep up ... this is Thailand .... no way would it be the other way around!:lol:

One pint is equal to exactly 568ml if filled to the top, theoretically it can be less than this though as you are allowed a maximum of five per cent head (froth) according to rules set out by Weights & Measures. Worked in the English pub trade for years and it's useless information like this that sticks in my head!!

wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif