12 Hours On Board Of A 2Nd Class Daytime-Seater-Train In Thailand

THAILIBAN

need to travel from Chiang Mai to BKK on Monday, and due to the long weekend, all flights are either full or ridiculously expensive (even Orient Thai charges 3.500 one-way).

As expected, overnight trains are all full too. I am now considering to take the daytime-train in the morning, which is an entirely 2nd-class-seater train and arrives at BKK shortly after 8 p.m.

I never did such a long train ride in Thailand in 2nd class and particularly not during daytime with reclining seats only and no bed.

anyone did this before ? Is is endurable or just outright grueling ? I have quite some luggage too and wonder if there will be space to store it in an overhead bin or not.

the saving is almost 3.000 Baht so I would be willing to tolerate some ordeal - to a certain degree, that is.

I do NOT want to take any Bus, be it VIP or not, so please do not recommend that.

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#On board

should give you an idea of what to expect. Take a good book, an ipad and you should be fine.

harry, thanks, I know seat61 since ages, and have seen many pictures of Thai railway carriages, but that still does not exactly answer my questions.

pictures are one thing (though helpful), but to learn from personal experience of others is something else

It is not too bad. It is a long journey, but the seats are not too bad. A few beers will help.You most probably will end up snoozing for a fair bit..In my younger days, i did it all in 3rd class. Loved it,but too old now for that.For others ,it is important to book well ahead, if you can. Although slow, trains are very popular in Thailand. Early booking is highly recommended. Especially for sleeper trains. All holiday services are booked out well in advance.Particularly Chiang Mai and Hat Yai- Butterworth. Usually booking a week in advance is good.Good luck, happy travelling

A VIP-bus might be a little more comfortable, and a couple of hours quicker, but cost a trifle more. But the train is always more interesting IMO. B)

Have done VIP BKK-Chiang Mai round trip, very comfortable and prefer it to trains as it's faster and you stop and get a nice break for meal. Not as interesting scenery as the train though. 2nd class train is fine for 12 hours though, just need a book or something else to occupy time.

Out of necessity, I got on the only few remaining seats left on the 3rd class train.

Like others suggested, a good reading materials or a long list of mustdo would surely help passing the time.

More importantly, if you can spot someone whom you think you can communicate with either verbally or physiologically, that might help aplenty too. Yes, time flies when you are having fun.

Yes, there are numerous things you can do to entertain yourself and have loads of fun at the same time, while ignoring every inconceivable in the third class even without cushion and fan.

You'll do fine in the 2nd class. Vivid imagination could also help improve the harsh reality. :rolleyes:

Focus on the excitement, the joy and the extreme pleasures awaiting at the end of the destination would also surely make your journey even that much more BEARABLE AND PLEASURABLE ! :D

Edited by mkawish

Thbe 0830 Chaing Mai-Bangkok is an awful train. Its a 3 car Daewoo diesel multiple unit with engines under the floor. The sets used on this service are shabby, tatty, cold, noisy and in desperate need of an overhaul. The last one I travelled in, back in September, was still sporting an 'Amazing Thailand 1998-1999' poster inside. That gives some idea as to how little attention they get. The catering service is awful, and what passes for the meal, which is nearly all rice, and cold at that, is served shortly after leaving Nakhon Lampang and would probably only set you back B10 at a roadside stall. The coffee is revolting and the accompanying cake is about the size of a golf ball.

On the plus side, you will have no problem with lots of luggage, I once took 5 pieces, 3 of which were suitcases, and there was no problem.

If you have no other choice then take some reading material, some sleeping tablets, a few bottles or cans and a good pair or earplugs! The engines can be quite noisy, apart from when they shut down due to low coolant or oil levels.

Timekeeping is not good. Back in May it took 15 hours from Chiang Mai, and that was just to Don Muang! It was one of the worst rail journeys I have ever made.

Good luck!

Your choice is easy .... you either take the train or call the airline and pay the fare.

If you choose the train ... think of it as an adventure and not as a burden. Appreciate the sights , encounter the journey as an unforgetable experience.

If you choose to fly .... 2 1/2 hours i think ... enjoy !

:jap:

Edited by steven100

I forgot to book a return ticket from Hua Hin once, and the only train to Bangkok we could get on was the third-class only 40bht... partly my own fault, for not accepting alternative arrangements due to confusion on my part between Thonburi and Chonburi....

Anyway, it was a holiday weekend, the train was heaving, it was four hours late when it left Hua Hin, and lost another hour because it then caught the fleet of trains coming out of Bangkok, and had to wait in passing loops for each one in turn. In the end, we bailed out at Bang Sue and caught the metro to Sukhumvit. Seemed like a fair deal for 40 Bht, though I'd have been willing to pay more. The metro cost about 30 bht on top of that, mind.

If you are going to be on the train for 12 hours, it would be well worth having a seat reservation, and steer clear of the 40 bht subsidised 3rd class.

SC

Myself I only do 1st class sleep birth ,private room.If they don't have one when I want to travel,I get one when they have one opened up.It works out good.

I have used the 1st class once and it had 2 bunks, one above the other. What do you mean by a 'private room' please?

jap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

That class is to separate

a working man from

a boy or girl vis a vis. :lol:

Once I by necessity took an unplanned third class all night train from Bkk to NaKorn Si.... boy oh boy.... :whistling:

I forgot to book a return ticket from Hua Hin once, and the only train to Bangkok we could get on was the third-class only 40bht... partly my own fault, for not accepting alternative arrangements due to confusion on my part between Thonburi and Chonburi....

Anyway, it was a holiday weekend, the train was heaving, it was four hours late when it left Hua Hin, and lost another hour because it then caught the fleet of trains coming out of Bangkok, and had to wait in passing loops for each one in turn. In the end, we bailed out at Bang Sue and caught the metro to Sukhumvit. Seemed like a fair deal for 40 Bht, though I'd have been willing to pay more. The metro cost about 30 bht on top of that, mind.

If you are going to be on the train for 12 hours, it would be well worth having a seat reservation, and steer clear of the 40 bht subsidised 3rd class.

SC

I took a 3th class once , BKK to Surin . That was around 10 hours drive ... slowwwww . But it wasn't bad and actually quite enjoyable. For it's price , you cannot beat it . Would i take it again ? Depends on time and money . Tight budget and plenty of time , certainly without a doubt . If the budget isn't that tight , take a bus . There is always plenty to see on the train and no need to take food or drinks on the train , because plenty of people selling all kinds of drinks and food .