Console Options Buying From The Us

Vindie

I have been through the threads and haven't seen any up-to-date information. I'm thinking about picking up a console in the US while I'm visiting, but I'm reading a lot about pitfalls with all of the systems in LOS. There seem to be issues with compatibility, power supplies, support, and access to games. Can anyone give me an update on the cost benefits of these systems in Thailand. The consoles are MUCH cheaper in the US, but I'm not sure about modding a US system in Thailand, and I'm worried about power supply issues as well.

I am in the US at the moment and have just bought a Wii to take back to Thailand. As regards power supplies it is 110V but there are many 3rd party power supplies (eg Nyko) for the Wii that are 110-240V. The console is region locked but games are available through Amazon and from what I have read unlocking the Wii is not particularly difficult.

I am in the US at the moment and have just bought a Wii to take back to Thailand. As regards power supplies it is 110V but there are many 3rd party power supplies (eg Nyko) for the Wii that are 110-240V. The console is region locked but games are available through Amazon and from what I have read unlocking the Wii is not particularly difficult.

So the external AC adapter (RVL-002?) that comes with the Wii is 110V/60 Hz only? It does seem like there are a lot of 100-240/50-60 replacement units available. I think a lot of the modded Wii's available here in Thailand are sourced in the U.S.

What are the advantages of buying in the U.S.? Price? Other?

Price is big advantage, power supply should be no problem because most power bricks are dual voltage or can get adapter. Regional locking of games could be problem but you can get many US compatible at usual suspect locations in the LOS. Big problem could be warranty repairs, unlikely that US sourced unit will be under warranty in TH. Do a burn-in test in the USA, at least one day, preferably 3 or more. If fails then do can do exchange while unit in USA, big hassle re shipping and customs both ways otherwise.

So the external AC adapter (RVL-002?) that comes with the Wii is 110V/60 Hz only? It does seem like there are a lot of 100-240/50-60 replacement units available. I think a lot of the modded Wii's available here in Thailand are sourced in the U.S.

What are the advantages of buying in the U.S.? Price? Other?

The advantage is really the price... though I haven't priced consoles in Thailand for more than a year. Right now I can pick up a 2nd hand Wii for 3-4000 baht with peripherals. A new one is less not more than 6000. Last time I priced consoles in Thailand they were all still breaking the 10000 mark.

A stock U.S Wii is 8,500 THB at most reputable Wii shops here (Hamoto Nadz, BluO). Modded units are more, with the soft-Mods at 9,000 and Wazabi Zeroes at 11,000. They also get units from Korea here.

In the U.S. the least expensive model I see is that Red/Super Mario 25 year system at $199.95, plop on same sales tax, and a new brick, so 6,000 minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow-up: I was debating getting a Wii in the U.S and hand-carrying it back. I ended up getting a Korean HW (English UI) unit, soft-modded (allowing you to play games off of an HDD on the USB port), and a 100-240/50-60 AC adapter, a standard (not motion plus) controller at Blu-O for 8,000 THB. I can very highly recommend this shop; bring a HDD with you if you plan to purchase. :whistling: The unit has a 12 month warranty and the owner of this shop is incredibly nice, helpful, responsive. Most of the Thai forums give this shop the highest marks.

Amazingly, playing Tiger Woods PGA 2011 I shot the exact same score at Pebble Beach (99) as the one and only time I played the real course; and my slice remains intact on Wii! :realangry:

Edited by lomatopo