Console Games Us -> Thailand

Vindie

I have been through the threads and haven't seen any up-to-date information. I'm thinking about picking up a console in the US while I'm visiting, but I'm reading a lot about pitfalls with all of the systems in LOS. There seem to be issues with compatibility, power supplies, support, and access to games. Can anyone give me an update on the cost benefits of these systems in Thailand. The consoles are MUCH cheaper in the US, but I'm not sure about modding a US system in Thailand, and I'm worried about power supply issues as well.

Power: get a step-down transformer... any of the shops selling consoles will have them.

Games: Import from either play-asia.com or from an e-bay store, check out nadzproject.com who also get games for all regions and consoles

SUpport: You are screwed there, you will have to send it back to the US

Edited by MunterHunter

• 9 months later...

For the Xbox, just order a 220v power supply off of ebay. I've heard that transformers cause issues with the xbox, and a 220v power supply is probably cheaper than a transformer powerful enough for the xbox. Check this website to get the correct power supply for your box:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907635

I believe the ps3 already has a universal power supply. 110/220

Legit games are really hard to come by - you can't buy things off of xbox live without going through a proxy/vpn. Many games are region locked as well, so you might have to go ahead and order off of Amazon, or get friends back home to send you gifts. Unless you mod. I haven't modded because I like playing on Live.

Playing online works alright for some games. I routinely play COD black ops between Chiang Mai and Canada with passable lag with 3bb's lowest priced plan.

Edited by lleviathan