Heads Up - Software Police Are Doing The Rounds

Spoonman

My (Thai) lawyer advised me to never allow the police to enter my office without a search warrant.

It seems we go through this every year. Yes they need a search warrant and a list of what they are looking for and there must be an Officer with a Star on his shoulder to serve the warrant.

That said if you invite them, you have tastily given them permission to "look around".

This is a scam than netted these people a lot of cash last year here on Samui.

Now if you have your computers, CD's in a public place, internet shop, restaurant, ect. where the public has access than no warrant is needed.

Last year they got a lot of cash from local small bars by looking at the CD's they were playing and saying they were

pirated copies, they got 20k from some bars.

Don't fall for this scam. No warrant properly obtained and issued by the court, don't let them in for any reason. They will posture and threaten, just tell them you are calling the police to verify the warrant, trust me they will leave. There are easier prey out there that won't bitch and will pay.

A warrant is only issued when there is a credible complaint that in this case, that pirated software has been seen or exists on computers, they don't check on one computer or personnel computers.

Now if you have 10 computers running AutoCad, paint shop ect. you may have a problem if some one reported you the the software coalition (who ever they are), if the evidence is credible they can try and get a warrant.

Just be smart, don't let anyone into your house, premises, office with out a warrant, and make sure it is a legal one, call the police, make them wait outside until the police arrive. Take pictures of the people and especially their vehicles and number plates, they don't like this.

If you are worried check with your lawyer, there was a post on ThaiVisa not long ago telling you your legal rights and an example of what the warrant looked like and who could serve the warrant. A warrant is not easy to get here in Thailand (unless you pissed of the wrong person)

Don't be intimidated, know your rights, Thailand IS NOT A Police State.

Isn't it easier to open your door and make sure you have everything properly licensed?

Martin

Ideally A Business should have all the appropriate licenced software in place yes, The problem arises when some of these software packages can run into the 10's of 1,000's of dollars to purchase (A full multi station suite of Catia with all the bells and whistles will easily cost 100,000 USD) and as such some business's prefer to use dodgy software from Tukom for 100b per cd.

For what its worth we were clean.

1. Answers on police, especially in thailand I agree with majority of you, since you can't be sure if its the real police or not to many dodgy people

2. Actual software or counterfeit. I understand the need of a cheap price, but seriously forget the company's piracy hurts more or less the developers who make the software, I assume most people have no idea how much time, it takes to create, develop, & test software.

3. If you pay for pirated software and you get viruses, spyware and malware with it don't be surprised

As for the software police I wonder if they would even know what linux is.

Isn't it easier to open your door and make sure you have everything properly licensed?

Martin

You want to let cheating people get into your house? For what reason?

I agree with not letting them in without having and verifying the search warrant. Even if you had authentic looking software with the authentic looking original boxes (real or fake), I expect you would be challenged to prove the authentic looking software/packaging was truly authentic since many of the fakes look authentic to the layman's eyes. And it's not going to be easy to quickly prove the software is authentic. I'm sure a person could after being hauled off to jail, paying bail, paying a fine, spending money on a lawyer, etc., but that is after a lot of your money has flowed out the door fighting the charge. Nope, if the police already have good evidence they will be carrying a search warrant when they show up; otherwise, they just may be testing the waters to see if a crook begins to sweat, runs for the hills, offers a bribe, etc. Nope, IMHO, demand to see a search warrant and verify it to the best of our ability.

You want to let cheating people get into your house? For what reason?

You are right ... but.... Do you have a choice?...

If you try to lock them out they will just think that you are doing something bad.

And just when you think they are no longer interested they will be there with a warrant, digging up everything you have...

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Sun-tzu. Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC).

I don't know if it work in this case, but it sounds cool

Martin

Edited by siamect

I am happy to hear that they need a warrant. You don't let police in, whether you are guilty or not. Every lawyer in the world will tell you to keep your mouth shut and not talk to police if you are ever questioned about anything without an attorney present. It doesn't imply you are guilty, it just means you know your rights. They can and will use what you say against you. In this case, if you keep them out, you are not admitting guilt, and you are not obstructing justice. You just want them to follow the law, as in showing a warrant, just as they want you to follow the law, as in don't use pirated software. Seems fair to me.

Martin

Ideally A Business should have all the appropriate licenced software in place yes, The problem arises when some of these software packages can run into the 10's of 1,000's of dollars to purchase (A full multi station suite of Catia with all the bells and whistles will easily cost 100,000 USD) and as such some business's prefer to use dodgy software from Tukom for 100b per cd.

For what its worth we were clean.

Wow...I'm impressed. All licensed software. Good for you!

I worked my entire career for software companies. Mostly startups. For sure developing, testing, and SUPPORTING software is expensive. SW engineers are not cheap!

My last job, before I retired, was marketing software inventory systems. So companies could try to ensure they were in compliance and unauthorized programs were kept at bay...hopefully. :lol:

But I can imagine that here in Thailand, software compliance is only a way for unscrupulous government officials to make a buck....

The entire system of law in Thailand is basically used by the police to extort money from offenders. Actually enforcement of law is a rare and unusual event.

Anyway, I've no sympathy for people ripping off software. If you must have it for nothing, you can. I've fully moved to Linux on both my work and home machines, and frankly its better for general use. The only thing I still need a windows machine for for is publication layout.