Ubc hiking pay-tv fees with 21%

george

Its unbelievable that they keep persuing the low turn over high price, rather then what made Bill Gates the richest person on earth, high volumed moderate gains. Are Thai managers realy that stupid?

Is there anybody who can say something about the alternatives?

Can you still buy the copy cat smart cards in ma boon klong?

Cheers

M.

A dishonest tenant stole my smartcard. UBC is forcing me into buying an entire new set, which I dont need. I only want to look at the free channels as the subscription at close to half what many Thai make per month (crazy isnt it?) is now just too much. Anybody who can tell where to get a cart to let the tuner work again? :o

What's the story behind UBC not being able to carry advertising?Relatively new here in Thailand so don't know the backgriound,but if they were allowed to advertise fees would drop.And i'm fed up with that reddy orange screen that keeps appearing in place of adverts!!!!!!!

The infamous UBC TV are hiking the fees from May 2003.

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=10&tt_news=180

Is it still worth the price?

Having my own Sat. dish UBC will charge me over 14.000 baht for 6 month viewing !!!!!!!!!!!! :o  NO WAY ! I think they are not interested at all in doing business.

And besides that its not worth the money for programs they keep repeating again and again.

So IT'S NOT WORTH THE PRICE.

LOWER the price to a affordeble level and they will have a lot more subscibers.

I have been in Thailand for a year or so, and am finally considering the UBC thingy!

I would like to buy a dish for the free channels also. (The reception in my area is a bit ropey!) Just what are the free channels? Does anybody know? Are they just the Thai terrestrial channels, or can you get Channel News Asia and other stuff also?

And while we are at it if anyone knows where I can get the dish, and about how much it would cost I would appreciate that information as well...

UBC are doing a 2 for 1 deal at the moment. (I think they extended that deal for an extra month.) My g/f has been nagging at me to get it, but it is just such a rip off...

marko

Hi, by the way. My name is marko and this is my first post!

Like so many SEA "enterprises" and "services," UBC offers fifth rate product at a First Class ticket price.

The rationale seems to be that after they have exploited their exclusive mandate to take your money for a year or two -- or ten -- they will then be able to afford the Capital Investment that was required of them in the first place.

Unfortunately the Peter and abjectly-"un" Principled junk-bond-"licence"-issuing stand-over and shake-down merchants who so often double as bureaucrats and "politicians" want an immediate return from the highest-bidder-issued "permit" -- and there goes Cash Flow!

And "service."

When UBC emulates American and other foreign satellite-tv suppliers -- and effectively PAYS YOU to become its customer -- its product might be worth considering.

But not until.

Best ones -- Brian :o

The most annoying thing is the *music* played under these unprofessional breaks. Hysteric Elevator Musac!

Why they don't play some plugs for upcoming films from the film channels instead? Such materal is delivered to UBC free of charge !! And these spots are cut in 30, 60, 90 seconds or whatever suitable.

For your info, both CNN, BBC and CNBC Asia are sending out a special "break" signal when it is break, so it's no need for some Thai employee to sit and fetch the commercials with a red button. That signal can easily trig a recorded track.

UBC is simply unprofessional! And too expensive, but there is no choice. TiT.

And today Friday UBC has been down here since 16.00 Thai time.

Black screen on all channels except School TV at channels 70 and above...

Looked at their home page, ubctv.com, but of course no information whatsoever. Bah!

We bought a 2.5 metre dish for 24 thousand one off payment from Sathorn Panit in Chiangmai, we get 100 + channels ranging from star sports , BBC world, Rai Italian, German, French etc.

We do not pay a monthly fee.

"FYI, UBC have been down for 24 hours now. Anybody here have the same problem"

Would guess they are busy trying to reconfigure as they have been running notice for the last few weeks that March 8 all was going to be well (from the loss of transponders last month that knocked out some apartment type service).  Have cable myself and it is working fine so it is just the DTH service having the trouble.

Up again!

Seems to work again now after some strange sounds from the TV speaker, and an abrupt DStv set top box restart following a download of some sort.

I can now enjoy my CNN with attached "UBS Blue Screen Of Death" and accompanied musac. I hate censur!

Will be looking for a decent sattellite a la STAR-TV asap.

============================================

Kurt's post deleted. No postings regarding pirate cards in this forum. Thanks!

/Fester, moderator

============================================

• 3 weeks later...

I do agree with the man, UBC is overpriced but what are our alternatives? I do know the free tv is hopeless, unless you can understand Malay or Indian etc. We could receive other programs before, but now most have gone to pay to watch status. What bugs me is some of the promotions they come up with to sell new customers, Like free TV, Mobile phones. Why not use this money to keep existing subscribers happy?

I Live in a small village near Chiang Rai, recently my remote packed up. I reported it via the system, I was told in no uncertain terms that I would need to travel more than 100 K to get a new one. The alternative was to pay a fee of 500 Bt, I have been a subscriber for more than 4 years :o

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to a local company that sells digital satellite systems that would allow you to receive free to air programming from a number of countries, although you will would not be able to receive the diversity of English language programming that UBC provides. The site is mostly in Thai, but you can view the available programmes by clicking on the frequency list tab:

http://www.psisat.com/home/index.php

• 4 weeks later...
on a thai tv news program, there was mention that psi was getting more business since ubc raised their rates.  I heard there is a branch of psi in chinatown.  will check into it.