The Wr Lower Kit For The Versys Has Arrived

ChangNoi1

Last week a friend of mine was so kind to take with him from the USA the "WR Lowering Kit" for the Versys.

So today I had a chat with the technical-boss of the Kawa-dealer in Pattaya and showed him the part and installation instructions.

It took him about 10sec to deceide to try it on their test-versys (only 337km on the odo).

Well installing took a bit more work as the installation guide tells, not that any of the mechanic has been reading it.

So first placing the "WR Lowering Kit" and then lowering the front. Took all together about 30min.

And it lowers the bike substantial! Of course it changes also the suspension-travel. But for me with only 75kg that is not such a problem.

And you will need to shorten the kickstand because the bike is now standing almost straight.

On a standard Versys I can not touch the ground with 2 foots (far from it even), now I can (even with the standard seat on it).

OK I can still not touch the ground flat-footed with 2 foots. It actually lowers the bike the same as if you would take off the all seat.

I am sure that with a lowerd seat I will feel comfortable in riding the bike.

So I made a short test-drive. It was bloody busy on Suk. But what a great low torch it has! Good riding position, handle-bars OK. Bit heavy gearing.

Now ordering, delivery at end of January. Colors red or black .... Shall I order?

Chang Noi

A lowered bike will alter the geometry of the bike.

Having said that it's a Versys, so it doesn't matter anyway.

You may need to shorten the side stand and or centre stand.

Is this kit only shorten the rear shock link? If so you will need to drop the front forks in the yoke.

Only lowering the rear will cause the bike to have a heavy feel to handling. But still it's a vesys so it doesn't matter.

Don't buy black such a pain in the arse to clean.

Yes I know lowering ONLY the rear (or only the front) will change the geometry of the any bike (even that of a Versys).

So yes we did also lower the front. But in theory the rear is lowerd by 47mm and the fron by 22mm, that leave you about 25mm out of geometry.

And yes the kickstand has to be shorten as now the bike was standing almost straight. On straight surface no problem.

Color? Yes black is a pain in the ass, but he other color is not really nice. Maybe have to do a re-paint job (I assume cheaper as changing the fairings). I like the "orange" color from the ER6N.

I will order the bike today ... hoping someone cancels his order hahahha. Actually I do not even have a good place to park the bike.

Mai pen rain ... will be moving soon also.

Chang Noi

You can also back off the preload at the front.

That if the Versys has adjustable front suspension.

Also you need to do a high speed run. any people who lower the bike report of a wobble at high speed. For the Versys high speed prolly around 100kmh. This is usually a result of improper suspension setup. So a few runs will be needed to iron out any hiccups you may have.

Good luck with your future purchase.

If you are intent on lowering the rear, I would look at the optional gel seat from Kawi, or a custom local seat before resorting the changing the geometry

If this will not do it for you and your heart is set on a Versys, then relocating the mounting point for the rear shock as per this kit is the only practical solution. As you are aware, this creates geometry issues, and backing off the preload to lower the front end is not a brilliant solution to the problem.

You will need to live with the geometry change.

Thanks but I orderd one already, delivery end of Jan.2011. No problem that gives me some time to arrange to have a coverd parking for the bike.

Now only have to find a shop that can lower the seat ... I am afraid that Somchai will say "no can do" ... I had some problems already when I wanted to lower the seat of my Yamaha XT. If it is not a Wave or Fino then "no can do".

Chang Noi

Thanks but I orderd one already, delivery end of Jan.2011. No problem that gives me some time to arrange to have a coverd parking for the bike.

Now only have to find a shop that can lower the seat ... I am afraid that Somchai will say "no can do" ... I had some problems already when I wanted to lower the seat of my Yamaha XT. If it is not a Wave or Fino then "no can do".

Chang Noi

Any halfway decent saddle shop should be able to sort the seat out for you for ~300-400 Baht:

Ride On!

Tony

Chang Noi

Any halfway decent saddle shop should be able to sort the seat out for you for ~300-400 Baht:

Ride On!

Tony

Tony this seems to be a relative to the guy who makes the seats where i live :D....on my boxer the seat newly done with color matching design was 200thb...on the virago for seat with the buttons and backrest new foam was all 500thb...

mbox