Pcx Vs New Cbr 150

johnboy3739w

hope i don't stir up a hornets nest over the debate about the new Honda CBR 250 and the Kawasaki Ninja 250, but............

Was at the Honda dealers in Pattaya earlier today debating about p/x inh my current PCX for a new PCX in the new red / black design - but the new CBR 150 caught my eye............

So i sat on it - it felt "too thin" - then my bird attenpted to climb on the back and complained....

Then i looked at the clutch / gear lever - then i thought about the congested Pattaya traffic jams, no where to store helmet, or any shopping............

Conclusion - Great looking, but the thought of changing gear, my missus moaning about climbing on the back and the lack of practicality - made it a non starter for me...................

My NSR150 SP has been sent to the village since I got my PCX. I found that hanging shopping bags off the mirrors got tiresome pretty quick.

If you want to go places and have fun, get the CBR, if you want to go shopping, get the new PCX. If you want to do both then there is only one option really, get both!!

I've got a CBR-150 and I have to admit that many times in traffic jams I have wished I had more of an "Urban Transporter" like a Click or the PCX. But I deal with, enjoy it, and often hang stuff off the mirrors. We just got back from a 900 km trip, two-up and it was wonderful. No complaints from the missus except the usual "when do we eat next?" The new CBR-150 has much nicer seats so I hope she doesn't see one. In Chiang Mai with all the ring roads, the CBR-150 makes a lot more sense for getting around overall.

Let us know if your heart wins out; while the practicality of an auto scooter can not be denied is it really fun?

I found the PCX fun to drive .So much so that i am selling my Phantom and buying one ;-)

:D Compared to a Phantom......anything would be more exciting!! even a pushbike. Sory I couldnt resist that.

Let us know if your heart wins out; while the practicality of an auto scooter can not be denied is it really fun?

I found the PCX fun to drive .So much so that i am selling my Phantom and buying one ;-)

:D Compared to a Phantom......anything would be more exciting!! even a pushbike. Sory I couldnt resist that.

Beat me to it!

Of course a Phantom is fun to drive; as long as you don't have to go anywhere quickly.:blink:

I also noticed the CBR250 when I purchased my new PCX in Red / Black design almost two weeks ago. It looks very sporty and is definitely much faster than the PCX. Anyway I chose the PCX over the CBR250, as I only need the bike to get around in the city, where speed does not mean a lot. Furthermore I prefer the more upright sitting position and the storage position on the PCX, though I still sometimes have to use the mirrors as well. Also I find automatic transmisson to be a large convenience for city riding and when always wearing sandals.

Edited by Xonax

I also noticed the CBR250 when I purchased my new PCX in Red / Black design almost two weeks ago. It looks very sporty and is definitely much faster than the PCX. Anyway I chose the PCX over the CBR250, as I only need the bike to get around in the city, where speed does not mean a lot. Furthermore I prefer the more upright sitting position and the storage position on the PCX, though I still sometimes have to use the mirrors as well. Also I find automatic transmisson to be a large convenience for city riding and when always wearing sandals.

I have the same reasons for ordering the PCX .The CBR250 looks great but is not very practical .I wish Honda would bring out a Phantom type bike with two cylinders and 250 cc .

I love my pcx so much that i just had to keep it and buy a cbr 250 as well... I love riding my pcx to the park to run- down to seven to shop- big shopping requires the pick up... The cbr will be used as transport to school or on trips for fun... Having both is better than one- but if i had to choose one- it would be the pcx, as it is so much better/ more relaxing than the sport style... Practical wins over style every day...

I have the same reasons for ordering the PCX .The CBR250 looks great but is not very practical .I wish Honda would bring out a Phantom type bike with two cylinders and 250 cc .

There is always the Lifan 250b, which is apparently the Yamaha Virago made by Lifan at an old Yamaha factory. 78,000 baht

It seems almost everyone prefers the upright sitting position. I preferred it when I was in my thirties. In fact, my Nouvo Elegance has a 100 percent perfect sitting position. It's upright and I'm close enough to the bars to have maximum control. I do not think you and I are in the minority here. In fact, I'd suggest most Western drivers if given the choice between this style of riding position and 1. the cruiser style with handle bars up high and away from the driver and 2. the sport bike position will take this upright position over the other two. Although I like the new Honda 150 CBR and the 250 CBR a lot, and the riding positions are NOT BAD, they aren't good either. I wonder when Honda, Yamaha and most other bike manufacturers will get it.

Beat me to it!

Of course a Phantom is fun to drive; as long as you don't have to go anywhere quickly.:blink:

Just you lot wait.

Us Phantom guys will come and get you in the middle of the night.

Granted we may have to start out after lunch be we will be there.

Be very afraid.

Also please don't run away too fast or we can't catch you. :ph34r::ph34r:

I would not hold my breath on that one. Given the new CBR 250 was released as a single cylinder, it might be better to hope for a newly-updated single cylinder 250cc. And I'll bet it's not far off.

There is always the Lifan 250b, which is apparently the Yamaha Virago made by Lifan at an old Yamaha factory. 78,000 baht

Yes i was also thinking of that bike .Is it made in Thailand by a Chinese Co ?

Yes i was also thinking of that bike .Is it made in Thailand by a Chinese Co ?

Here is what Richard-BKK said in the new 250cc landscape thread. He is an industry guy so I expect he knows much more than me.

"The Lifan LF250-B and LF400 are fully manufactured in Thailand, not just assembled, Lifan has one of the largest factories compared to all motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand. Probably the Chinese manufacturer is producing them in Thailand to benefit from easier export to Europe and America.

Lifan LF250-B or LF400 is no copy of the Virago 250 or 400, Lifan bought several production facilities from Yamaha about 5-years ago. At the time Yamaha was moving all cruiser production to the USA under the name V-Star. Some parts, surely not all, of the Yamaha V-Star 250 are being produced at the Lifan Rayong, Thailand factory and exported to Malaysia where the Yamaha V-Star 250 are being assembled.

The deal between Yamaha and Lifan to take over some production facilities, Vietnam, Japan and two other places, included the right to produce some of the “older” Yamaha Virago models."

You know, I read RichardBkk's statement (above) with some puzzlement. To me, it rather says, "No, repeat, yes." On the one hand they are not copies and on the other hand some agreement was reached that allowed some copying.

Doesn't matter, really. Reliability and durability will make themselves known in a few years, if owners are good enough to post then.

Got a PCX, it's a great little scooter. but now I want something more exciting. But honestly why go CBR 250 when Ninjette 250 is prettier.blink.gif

People have different views on what is beautiful and not...

I like the CBR more than the Ninja, but both are good looking...

I went with the CBR since it is also the much cheaper choice and I know myself well enough to know that I will sell it within a year, to get something bigger!!!!

I bought it because it is way more comfortable- smooth and easy riding on the highway. It looks better, handles better, and rides much better...

that is why i bought it... So, may i ask, what do you have against it? (apart from the price, yes it cost alot...)

The PCX is a nice bike but, at twice the price of a Wave 110, why do people buy them?

35,000 extra for full auto, an extra 15cc, and an enclosed frame seems excessive.

Unless someone has very special needs that can be handled better by a manual transmission motorbike such as the Wave (such as putting one's own restaurant on wheels), there's no reason to buy the Wave other than not being able to afford the PCX. The difference is like comparing a thoroughbred to a plough horse. The PCX has much bigger tires and it is much heavier so it's incomparably safer and much more poised at higher speeds. The Wave has a very narrow seat so it's not in the same league comfort wise. THe PCX has much greater storage capacity. It's automatic so it's much easier to drive. It accelerates faster in real world driving conditions. And it looks one helluva lot sharper. And as for it's being such a costly item, at 30 baht to the dollar for a price of 70,000 baht this is still just $2333.00. Keep it for 4 years and if you got say 30,000 for it, that's just 10,000 baht or $320 a year for one. This is chicken feed. Unless you are a Thai motorbike taxi driver living on a subsistence level who's looking at the lowest rock bottom cost for his one and only business asset there's simply no advantage to a Wave over a PCX. And since from what I've heard the PCX is getting nearly 50 kilometers to the liter even the fuel economy angle is not going to work for justifying the purchase of a Honda Wave.

My NSR150 SP has been sent to the village since I got my PCX. I found that hanging shopping bags off the mirrors got tiresome pretty quick.

If you want to go places and have fun, get the CBR, if you want to go shopping, get the new PCX. If you want to do both then there is only one option really, get both!!

Have to agree with this. Girlfriend complains about how high up my NSR 150 SP is; its like climbing a couple of stairs for her. Its also very impractical, but great fun. I also like a bike with a basket on the front that is easy to drive and you can get your shopping in. So you really have to have two bikes. Alternative is to always have a backpack with you (I shipped half an engine to a local bike shop in a back pack; it needed the oil drain oversizing and re-threading which I can't do myself). All that gear shifting gets tiring in Bangkok traffic, especially 6 close gears...

The manual Waves, etc, are still much more economical than an auto. Girlfriends aunt traded her new Mio in for a Smash 110 as there is no comparison when it comes to fuel consumption.

Edited by MaiChai

Got a PCX, it's a great little scooter. but now I want something more exciting. But honestly why go CBR 250 when Ninjette 250 is prettier.blink.gif

I can think of 50,000 reasons.... :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't seen them side by side but the CBR250 is a sharp looking bike. As is the Ninja. This is of course just my opinion but to me the CBR looks nice without pretending to be a bigger bike while the Ninjette is a bit more on the flashy side.

Comparing the PCX to a CBR is a bit like apples and oranges. Kind of pointless.

• 1 month later...

How much is the CBR 250 nowadays?

I own a PCX and I am very satisfied with it. Had a CBR 150 yrs before. Was so ewhat too small for me but also fun to drive. I do not really like auto's, but prfer the fully manual ones, not the clutchless!