What'S Up With The Sitting Around After You Hit Your Trays Of Balls?

LarryBird

What's with all of the hanging around/socializing at the driving range by the Thais?

Why do they sit around on the bench after they're done hitting their range balls? Do they think they're getting their monies worth better?

Kind of annoying, especially when it's busy.

Is this like the barber spinning them around in the chair and cutting each individual hair at a time?

Exactly as you surmise...it is a social thing. Guys enjoying their time together. There may be a touch of elitism in that the average Thai cannot afford to take the time nor pay the money to play our sport...and some fellows may feel like rubbing this in...pinching themselves in the smug knowledge that they are among the lucky ones. But for the majority, I think it's just fun for them to hang out. Plus they get to pick up tips or compare themselves with others.

Edited by Fore Man

To each their own. That is quite a good maxim to live by. If people, Thai or otherwise wish to sit and chat or relax and just watch, then that is up to them.

My personal method at the range is to warm up for 20-30 balls with couple of clubs. Then when ready I 'play a round of golf' on the range. I visualise a course and play each hole using appropriate clubs for the distance I have hit and have left. Obviously I don't putt. This way I get to use different clubs for almost every shot (same as on an actual course during a round) and I also relax a bit in between holes.

To aimlessly bash away at balls in multiples of 40 can be boring at times so if you are with someone, achat always makes it a relaxing time.

Exactly as you surmise...it is a social thing. Guys enjoying their time together. There may be a touch of elitism in that the average Thai cannot afford to take the time nor pay the money to play our sport...and some fellows may feel like rubbing this in...pinching themselves in the smug knowledge that they are among the lucky ones. But for the majority, I think it's just fun for them to hang out. Plus they get to pick up tips or compare themselves with others.

I tend to agree with most of your comments. Many driving ranges are more like outdoor bars/restaurants with the advantage to be able to hit a few balls as well.

I don’t think there is any “elitism” in it and the comment was really unfair. In fact, many of the people that go the driving range cannot afford to play very often and the 50 baht for a tray of balls while having dinner and few beers with your buddies is a cheap way to say you play.

TH

Welcome to Thailand. Whether the range or anything else it's a Thai pastime, sitting about, sleeping, drinking, talking rubbish BUT it's great isn't it.

Back in farangland it's trying to fit a hobby in with the mad rush that ' normal ' life let's you do.

Chill out, calm down, relax. :)

Welcome to Thailand. Whether the range or anything else it's a Thai pastime, sitting about, sleeping, drinking, talking rubbish BUT it's great isn't it. Back in farangland it's trying to fit a hobby in with the mad rush that ' normal ' life let's you do.Chill out, calm down, relax. :)

Best Answer.

I have gotten some tips (whether good or bad) from strangers at the driving range already.

It's good sometimes to talk golf with other golfers. My wife, neighbors and most of my friends don't play the game.

You guys seem to imply that thai people don't put in a zillion hours at work each week.

Yep, not if they can help it, especially gov. employees. Come look in the out of the way bars/cafe where l live, in the afternoon many have gov. staff and BiB downing beer in uniform. :o

You guys seem to imply that thai people don't put in a zillion hours at work each week.

Yep, not if they can help it,

That's the problem. I'm not sure if you realized, but the average thai wage isn't that high, while the price of automobiles, gas, computer's, golf, etc, they're paying an international price on.

Yep, not if they can help it,

That's the problem. I'm not sure if you realized, but the average thai wage isn't that high, while the price of automobiles, gas, computer's, golf, etc, they're paying an international price on.

I wont write here but shall we say that many piss ups etc are ' office ' funded. If you get my drift.:unsure: