True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

^ Of course... I meant the actual link to the test results. Pib's looks different from mine -- his shows info like ping, forced idle, along with speed graphs. Mine doesn't.

FWIW, my QOS range from 55% ~ 89% on three separate tests. I'm on True ADSL 8MB.

Edited by Supernova

The link and screen cap I posted just above includes all that info you mention in the text portion of the main speed test graphic page...

They don't call it "ping" test, but rather, something like "round trip time" in ms.

^ Of course... I meant the actual link to the test results. Pib's looks different from mine -- his shows info like ping, forced idle, along with speed graphs. Mine doesn't.

FWIW, my QOS range from 55% ~ 89% on three separate tests. I'm on True ADSL 8MB.

Click the link titled "Test Results #XXXXX" at the bottom of the area where the results are graphically displayed and it will then pull up a text version of the results like I was posting.

My wireless router was set to PPPoE when used with True's DSL, and now changed to DHCP with their cable modem...

When the True tech guy was out the other day, and looking at my Linksys router settings, he advised... PPPoE when used with True DSL, and DHCP when used with cable modem...

JFC,

After using your 10Mb/1Mb cable internet plan for a few more days, any additional "how it's working/hopefully speeding along" feedback you might want to provide us folks waiting to get it installed.

I'm still hoping my 20Mb/2Mb plan will be installed by the end of this month/March here in my western Bangkok moobaan...it sure looks like the moobaan trunk line installation is all but completed...haven't seen the installers doing any additional work for about 4 calendar days...hopefully they are just doing some final installation/turn the system on work outside the moobaan and will begin the individual home hookups soon. True took sign-ups starting last weekend and during the sign-up they kept saying system activation/home installations for my moobaan would begin around mid March. Big thanks.

Cheers,

Pib

Nothing much more than I've already said above...

The good news is...at this point a week in...I'm not having to think about or mess with it anymore...

Everything all switched over to cable modem and router, and DSL modem disconnected entirely...

I've been streaming video pretty much every night, and thus far, the streams are running at least as well, if not better, than the prior DSL service. As I mentioned above, one of the most noticeable differences I've seen and measured has been in QOS levels -- stability of the feed -- which seem consistently better with cable than with DSL...

I'm spending 200+ baht per month less and getting a somewhat faster and certainly better connection with the 10 Mb cable plan for 699 baht per month vs. the 8 Mb DSL plan for 899 baht per month.

The only other thing I can think of at this point is, unlike almost everything else I've ever done with True, I never had to sign any formal paperwork to start the cable service. I never signed any actual contract, though I did sign a paper at the time of install acknowledging the work had been done -- but nothing about a year commitment or anything like that...

That doesn't mean True probably wouldn't try to hold me to that, somewhere down the road. But I never had to do the whole passport copy and sign deal that's so common for everything else... Maybe that's because they already have a dozen of those from me on file for everything else that's gone before... :D

If folks can get the cable service, I can't think of any reason that would make it better to stay with DSL -- at least not after one week of the change.

I guess I should also have noted that the price disparity between True's DSL and cable offerings grows even larger as you move up to the next higher speed levels...

True, amazingly, is asking for 2,299 a month including a router for its 16 /1 Mb DSL service (I don't believe they have a regular 20 Mb DSL service), whereas True's 20/2 Mb cable service without a True router is going for 1,299 per month... Almost half price compared to DSL....

Strange pricing model they're deploying on this... But I ain't complaining.... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just check with True my area at Sukhumvit 67 is ready for Ultra speed. I also have Truevisions cable tv installed for several years.

Lately, after I have free upgrade from 4 to 6Mbps TOT Adsl, the speed is worse than before. I would consider terminating TOT adsl (subject to Bt.1,000 penalty) and use True cable internet.

True also provides Wireless router rent at Bt.1,000.- one-time charge; so I still can share internet wirelessly in my home.

Hope it is better than TOT ADSL.

A 15 Mar 11 article from the Nation where True is announcing their cable internet service.

http://www.nationmul...y-30150904.html

I'm still waiting for the contractor to finish the cable internet trunk line installation in my 750 home western Bangkok moobaan. They came by our soi in the moobaan yesterday afternoon to quickly install an additional cable tap on our soi (taps are used to run a line from the trunk line to the individual homes). The Thai wife asked them why we hadn't saw them working in the moobaan for about a week and they said they were waiting on True to provide some trunk line parts need to finish the installation....they said the cable taps they were installing on our soi and some other sois in the moobaan was all that is needed to finish the system installation....then True can accept/turn on the system. I know as of this evening the system is not turned on because there are several electric meters and power modules mounted in about a half dozen locations to power the system...these meters are not running/recording any power usage. I didn't see the contractor working anywhere in the moobaan today during my daily run, although he still has one of his installation trucks parked on a soi. So, hopefully True is real close to activating the system in our moobaan and actually start hooking up homes to the trunk line running down all the sois. True had a sign-up promotion within the moobaan during the last week of February. Hopefully over the coming month True will activate the system in the moobaan and hook-up the 20Mb/2Mb plan I signed up for....but considering Thai time I could be saying this for months to come.

Update: I went to the TrueOnline web site after writing above and they now have some info posted on the cable internet ultra speed system. http://www.trueonline.com/en/ultrahispeed.aspx

Edited by Pib

Nice to see True has finally posted something in public re their cable service... and thanks for the update Pib...

Just FYI, been exclusive cable ever since my prior posts, and everything working fine... I haven't had to think about it at all.. it just works...

Gonna call True to cancel my DSL account, since at this point, it's unnecessary...

After hook-up of the True cable internet, I'll be making a visit to a TOT service center to cancel my 6Mb ADSL plan, which 12 month contract period ends on 23 March 11. This TOT plan has been very reliable, but it's TOT fastest speed offered to my moobaan and I'm tired of being pretty much a TOT internet plan captive audience. The timing is working out pretty good assuming True does indeed activate the cable internet in my moobaan over the coming weeks. Good to hear your True10Mb/1Mb cable internet plan is working fine.

And from looking at the current True cable internet promotion it's a little better than the one I signed-up for in late February. But since they have not hooked me up yet, I'm definitely going to push for the little better deal. One thing about Thai ISP internet plans, they continue to get a little cheaper and a faster based on the promotion of the day.

For you fine folks reading about the new True 10-100Mb UltraSpeed Cable Internet service, please note that as of now this service is only available in certain areas within Bangkok, Khon Khan, Korat, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Rayong, and Phuket per True's web page http://www.trueonline.com/en/ultrahispeed.aspx

Since the UltraSpeed internet service runs on True "cable", unless True cable "TV" service is available to your residence then True cable internet is not going to be available either....gottta have that cable versus a True phone/ADSL internet line. But just because True cable TV is available to your residence doesn't automatically mean the cable UltraSpeed internet is also available, as the cable system has to also be outfitted with the internet head-end equipment. So, if you have True cable TV available to your residence, you'll need to check with the True folks to see if cable internet is also available....some True cable TV folks are finding out that the cable internet is also now available or will be available soon.

And if you already have True cable, I'd suggest your first best call is to True Online's English language call center, and ask them to check your particular address for cable Internet availability...

The people in the True mall shops seem to have a problem with lack of access to good info, and as a result seem prone to give out a lot of false "not available" answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Negreanu, if you know more about this, please do chime in.... I don't have a Roku box, but I've read and heard a lot about them.

I do think Roku is one of the better media extenders for folks living in the U.S. For folks living in Thailand, I'm not sure....for two reasons...

1. A lot of the content available like Netflix and Pandora requires a U.S. IP address in order to receive it. I never saw that Roku boxes had the ability to use their own VPN or PPTP type connection to acquire a different IP...

Similarly, I had a friend who set up a Western Dig WD Live box at my home a while back that ran off my wireless and acquired its own local IP address, with no seeming ability via the box to change it.

2. When they first came out, I emailed Roku tech support because all their online product info was unclear about whether their AC adapters would work with 220V...in addition to 110-120V from the U.S. Eventually, they answered back that their power adapters only supported 110-120V, and weren't dual use. So I'd assume you'd have to use a power converter with them here.

My friend's WD box, bought in Thailand, came with a dual use AC adapter, so that was no problem.

But the built-in programming choices in it were pretty limited....and the remote control and onscreen interface were pretty slow and balky...

So far, for video streaming, I haven't found anything that beats a good laptop with a wired or good wireless N connection, running VPN or PPTP software, and a video out port connection to my nearby TV.

Hi Guys,

Dont waste your money on a set top box for streaming (I have one i bought a while bak and its locked up in a cuboard now:) Just setup a PC/Laptop via HDMI cable (or wireless HDMI if you can afford it:) then just go to www.vudu.com sign up and download the BOXEE app (this has all the netflix/hulu etc programs on it) then either use Strong VPN open or pptp (open is more expensive and not always faster) or better still go to www.unblock-us.com ($4.99pm or $49py) these guys supply DNS servers you dont have to bother with VPN (Which slows down your PC) just change the DNS in your connection setup (they supply Asia/EU/USA DNS) and bingo your streaming without the VPN chokepoint!! With STB's you also have to setup your router for VPN which can be a nightmare for those less computer geeks out there, this system take 1 minute to setup ....

btw: The only advantage is security with VPN as its encrypted but who cares as long as youve got your firewall etc setup no probs,....

FYI: I pay approx 7000bt pm for CSLox SME 8mb package, which was awesome at the start but has declined lately so got True guys coming over in a couple o dayz to kit me out with the 100mb Ultra High Speed Package :)

Enjoy the free info!!

www.unblock-us.com

Thanks so much for that info. No need to subscribe to a VPN now using that. Been playing with it all morning.

Netflix on Roku XDS and Apple TV and indeed on the computer totally rocks now. Getting double the throughput i was getting using StrongVPN. As well as HuluPlus Amazon Prime etc. Really has made things so very very easy now.

Also no need to connect/disconnect the VPN anymore and downloads and browsing and gaming all at full speed using their DNS.

Also their sister product USunlocked.com is awesome and gives you a US credit card and address you can fund with paypal. Then use that for itunes store etc.

And access to BBC iplayer, ITV, Channel 4 5od without having to change any settings - awesome.

A good day :)

Edited by negreanu

Hmm.. I tried the unblock-us service a bit as well today...and got some weird results... But the trial is free for 7 days, so why not play around with it...

I've got a wifi router and multiple PCs at home, some Ethernet connected to the router, and some wireless to the router.

For the experiment, I used one of my wifi connected laptops running Windows 7. I didn't want to mess around with my router settings for the first go-around on this, so I followed the web site's instructions on how to set up their service on an individual machine, being to basically go into the settings for the wireless connection you're using, and change it from Automatic DNS to the specific DNS values listed on the unblock-us web site for Asia... That was easy to do, and their support web page includes screen captures clearly spelling out just what to change.

So after making the change and restarting my laptop as instructed, the first thing I tried was Netflix, and it worked fine in a flash... No VPN required... Just a quick and trouble free log-on and streaming very nicely through my True 10 Mb cable connection. That was the good news...

Then for the bad news.. With exactly the same connection and settings, I then a moment later tried Hulu, and couldn't even get the home page loaded... Same thing with a commercial video streaming service in the UK... Tried multiple times for both, and their regular pages (no VPN required) never did resolve.

So at that point, I went back into the settings and undid the unblock-us DNS changes.... and then went and tried Hulu's home page again with no VPN, and it resolved and loaded fine and fast... I didn't try streaming anything at that point, because while it's no problem to access Hulu's home page without a VPN, you can't actually access any content with a non U.S. IP address...

So I'm a bit perplexed... Netflix worked great... Hulu didn't work at all, even not being able to resolve its home page, which I don't understand at all...since it ought to be available from anywhere.

In any event, I suppose I can try again another day.... And/or, instead of making the DNS change on a single Wifi machine, the alternative would be to follow unblock-us's instructions for resetting the settings on your router... and see if that makes a difference,

But since I primarily do most of my "unblock" oriented streaming off that one wifi laptop, it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to change the router setting for my entire network just for that one purpose.

Hulu and Hulu plus working 100% with unblock service here along with BBC iplayer and 4OD and ITV player in uk.

The streaming is so much better than when i use StrongVPN also not having to connect disconnect a VPN is a major major advantage especially using media streamers such as Apple TV and Roku XDS.

There is no real disadvantage in using the router method for DNS servers as it's transparent and their DNS servers are fast in asia from Thailand.

Edited by negreanu

Negreanu, you didn't say in your original post, but I'm assuming you made the DNS changes at the router level, not the individual machine. So I tried the other approach, which from their web site is also supposed to work, and that's making the change on the individual machine...

Well, in my test, I clearly had everything set properly, because Netflix streamed fine without any VPN, yet a couple of other services didn't. So I'll be interested to hear others' experiences with it, both at the router and PC level. I don't think my experience was any kind of fluke, because as soon as I switched back to local DNS, the Hulu home page immediately loaded fine.

You're probably right that there's no downside to making the DNS changes at the router level, since most of the streaming and downloading content we deal with is probably not local to Thailand. But I wasn't familiar with this unblock-us service, and not sure how reliable they are as far as up-time, so I wanted to stick my tech toe in the water first...and see how it felt, before jumping in with both feet.

Edited by jfchandler

Negreanu, you didn't say in your original post, but I'm assuming you made the DNS changes at the router level, not the individual machine. So I tried the other approach, which from their web site is also supposed to work, and that's making the change on the individual machine...

Yes router method.

Working on VDSL 50mb:

Pandora

Netflix

Huluplus

Amazon Instant Video

MOG

BBC iplayer

ITV Player

4OD

Forget channel 4 4od and channel 5 demand 5. My strongvpn was connected when i tried those 2. BBC iplayer and ITVplayer work fine tho.

However i spoke to support at unblockUS and they say channel4 and channel5 is on the way.

You can see their updated website at:

usvideo.org

I really think its the best way to view most of the big streaming names in Thailand - works far better than any VPN I have used.

Just be able to view BBC content and US content and not lose speed through a VPN for other sites downloads etc. without disconnecting or connecting to different VPN's makes it totally worth it.

The streaming partition is direct to the client it does not go through a VPN or proxy etc. so the streaming rates are substantially better than using a VPN or proxy.

Edited by negreanu

Negreanu, I'm not quite sure what your comment about "forget channel 4 4od" is supposed to mean... That's a site that has several programs I want to watch, and can watch just fine right now via VPN.... So you're saying unblock-us doesn't provide access to that site, right now?

Also, I'm not sure what kind of endorsement you're giving for this service, if you're running it on top of a StrongVPN connection. With a VPN connected, you're going to be able to access anything you want, regardless of whether unblock-us is working correctly or not.

When I did my test, I WASN"T connected to any VPN, since that obviously would defeat the purpose of testing unblock-us. And it didn't work on regular Hulu and it didn't work on 4oD.

Re Hulu, you mentioned in your prior post being able to access Hulu Plus... I wasn't trying that, but I did try just regular Hulu, and it didn't work.

I haven't taken the trouble to call or contact unblock-us, but you almost make it sound like they have to enable each individual site one by one in order for them to work on their service.... which is a very different proposition from a general purpose VPN connection, as you well know.

Also, in looking at their web site link you posted above, I see they mention being able to access ESPN3. AFAIK, yes, you do need a U.S. IP address in order to access ESPN3 (the online streaming channel of ESPN). But, you also need some kind of subscription access in order to receive it, usually a user ID and password through a U.S. cable system that carries ESPN. Just having a U.S. IP alone won't do it.

Forget channel 4 4od and channel 5 demand 5. My strongvpn was connected when i tried those 2. BBC iplayer and ITVplayer work fine tho.

However i spoke to support at unblockUS and they say channel4 and channel5 is on the way.

Edited by jfchandler